This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

This year I plan to chase them around with a pointed stick until I manage to either harass one to death or run it off a cliff. Real huntin...
30+ years ago in Northern Mn I saw a news article about a husband and wife charged with killing bears, turned out they hunted them with spears.
2 thoughts, first was... you want to hunt bear with a spear... have at it.
2nd thought was... she must've been a he// of a woman to go bear spearing.

30+ years ago in Northern Mn I saw a news article about a husband and wife charged with killing bears, turned out they hunted them with spears.
2 thoughts, first was... you want to hunt bear with a spear... have at it.
2nd thought was... she must've been a he// of a woman to go bear spearing.
Wonder why that would be illegal?

Has anyone seen how they bait black bears in some states? I couldn't shoot one while it was wrestling with a 55 gallon drum of bait.

All of eastern Oregon is a draw for deer tags. The game unit I am in has got to be pushing a million acres. About 45% of the area is public land. They give out 825 tags. Over 2,500 people apply for a deer tag. So you get drawn about once every three years. Use to be that archery tags were over the counter. So if people didn't draw a rifle tag they would buy an archery tag. They changed that this year. You have to apply for the archery tag. Applications are due the same day. So you have to choose one or the other. They also have land owner preference tag. If you own enough land to qualify it is mostly a given that you will get a tag. But the tag requires you to hunt on your own property. Seson this year was October 1 - 12. Limit of one buck.

All of eastern Oregon is a draw for deer tags. The game unit I am in has got to be pushing a million acres. About 45% of the area is public land. They give out 825 tags. Over 2,500 people apply for a deer tag. So you get drawn about once every three years. Use to be that archery tags were over the counter. So if people didn't draw a rifle tag they would buy an archery tag. They changed that this year. You have to apply for the archery tag. Applications are due the same day. So you have to choose one or the other. They also have land owner preference tag. If you own enough land to qualify it is mostly a given that you will get a tag. But the tag requires you to hunt on your own property. Seson this year was October 1 - 12. Limit of one buck.
Sounds like an area that is too small, too many people and not enough game. We are fortunate here to not yet be in that situation. I'm sure the day is coming though.

LOL... "Use to be that archery tags were over the counter."

That kind of cracks me up. It wasn't that long ago when ALL tags were over the counter. You could buy a varmint tag and for an additional couple of bucks get a deer tag. No locations specified except within the state the tag was for. There were no restrictions on every puddle with different fishing limits, all the same and in my time I remember the limit was eight. No size limits. No quagga mussels.

Of course I have to remind myself that once there were no licenses required. When did they start selling them?

But there were only half the people back then. Of course in those days we even welcomed seasonal workers without much fuss because they usually went back home once they had a pocket full of money.

In NY, we have lots of deer. You get a buck tag for all of NY. You can apply for doe tags (up to 2) for a specific area (you pick). Landowners pretty much get doe tags, but not restricted to you land - specific to an "area". As a land owner, you can also get nuisance tags, allowing you to shoot does out of season for a specific number - maybe 10-15 depending on your deer pressure.

LOL... "Use to be that archery tags were over the counter."

That kind of cracks me up. It wasn't that long ago when ALL tags were over the counter. You could buy a varmint tag and for an additional couple of bucks get a deer tag. No locations specified except within the state the tag was for. There were no restrictions on every puddle with different fishing limits, all the same and in my time I remember the limit was eight. No size limits. No quagga mussels.

Of course I have to remind myself that once there were no licenses required. When did they start selling them?

But there were only half the people back then. Of course in those days we even welcomed seasonal workers without much fuss because they usually went back home once they had a pocket full of money.
Those days you are referring to put a big dent on the deer population here and I would imagine many places. There were less people but more deer being killed for meat. Just in my short life time there has been a huge swing.

The number of hunters is on the decline in Texas and the deer population is booming. They a begging hunters to kill deer. They keep adding seasons but I'm not sure it's helping. We have properties that are in counties where you can take 5 deer per hunter and in the others we get doe tags. You may get a doe tag per 50 ac. There is no way we could take all those deer.

It's nothing for me to see 50 deer in the 12 acres of wheat/rye here around the farmstead, every evening. I don't bowhunt or have a black powder rifle(anymore). Modern firearm season here is only 16 days. Two-buck limit(I don't want one), more or less unlimited doe harvest. Can't kill enough of the damned hooved rats, even with interlopers and hunters on neighboring properties hitting 'em.

The deer population here is a combination of two things. The winter of 2016/17 there was a huge amount of snow. Probably record amounts and near record low temperatures. And winter lasted a long time that year. It is said to have killed off 80% of the deer population. And back in the late 1990's the HSUS got a measure on the ballet to outlaw hound hunting for cougars. The Portland people passed that. As a result the cougar population exploded. A cougar kills 50-70 deer a year. To the point that I know of almost as many cougars shot locally as deer. Sort of tough for the deer to recover from a big winter kill when the cats keep eating them.

I guess I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree because I never quite understood what the dividing line between feeding and hunting is. They frown on you baiting for Dove which is a small moving elusive target but not deer where the bait lure's them in close so the "hunter" can take a easy shot at a large unmoving object. Wouldn't it make more sense to feed that expensive corn to a steer and just shoot it when its harvest time? I mean its not that difficult to find a steer with a tall rack. You could even tell your drinking buddy's you shot a nice two point with long tines that scored 184 on the Goodnight Chisum scale. Heck the wife would even be happy that you brought home meat that everyone likes and would save you some money that otherwise goes to WalMart.

Maybe one day I'll figure it out. If not I'll ask one of those dudes that wears full camo including face paint but "hunts" from a box blind 60 yards from his feeder with a gun and scope that Chris Kyle would be proud of.
I agree with a lot of this, but people pay for different types of enjoyment, hunting, fishing, cruising on ships,camping ect.
I use to have a heck of a passion for bow hunting and that was my enjoyment, now I take the grandkids, that's my enjoyment now.
Some people like cruise's, I don't, it would take a good amount of money to get me to go on a cruise, but a lot of people like it.
To each their own.

@tex452 I'm with you on cruises. No way - no how. Give me good ole Kauai - no night life - slow pace of living - lots of empty beeches. Lots of locals to hire for a fishing trip. Know some locals, so we borrow their fishing gear for shore fishing. Purchased crab traps that they keep for us - fresh cooked crab. That's a vacation! The 15 hour trip isn't so nice - but it's worth it.
When we couldn't fly to Kauai because of Covid in 2020 - we flew to TEXAS because they didn't require masks - and we went on a paid boar hunt. Had a blast and also enjoyed all the western wear shops in Fort Worth and all the BBQ.