This makes me smile..

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
This makes me smile atleast my fuel bill will be cut in half. I love it. :D

IMG_20150102_080927_001_zps8f19a2fc.jpg

Kenny you are right... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — We've been enjoying low gas prices for weeks now, but with the new year may come a slight up tick in prices across the Commonwealth.

Starting Jan. 1, the state's gas tax jumps from 3.5 percent to 5.1 percent. That will mean an extra 5 cents per gallon of gas.

"While nobody likes a tax increase, obviously it comes at a time with falling gas prices, and, in fact, our projections show that prices will continue to [moderately fall] offsetting this tax that consumers will see," said Aubrey Layne, Virginia Secretary of Transportation.

Spearheaded by former Governor Bob McDonnell, the bill to increase the gas tax was passed by state lawmakers last year, only if Congress didn't pass the Marketplace Fairness Act. That law would have collected taxes from online retailers.

"Our transportation needs in the Commonwealth are great, and most of them are fairly large projects with big price tags," Secretary Layne said.

Secretary Layne said the 5-cent gas tax increase is expected to bring in $120 million a year. That money will be used on transit projects, roads and bridges. However, it won't be enough, so the state will have to reallocate some funds.

"Fortunately, because of the reduced amount of gasoline prices, I don't think their pocket books will be hurt significantly at 5 cents a gallon, but what they should see and expect from the state transportation agencies is that money being put to work," Secretary Layne said.

For some travelers, like Richard Newman from Long Island, the gas prices and even the tax increase is no big deal. He's paying about a dollar fifteen more in the Big Apple.

"It's unbelievable how cheap it is here. I can't believe it. I haven't seen any cheaper. If people want roads fixed, they have to pay the taxes. I pay a lot more tax than that," Newman said.

Secretary Layne said there is a glimmer of good news: if Congress does pass the Marketplace Fairness Act, the 5 percent tax will go back down to 3.5 percent.

Lovely, another percentage based tax so the gov't is all for higher fuel prices. I think it should have been a flat rate tax.. Now you're going to be paying .10/gal more when the price goes back up to $4/gal... then it's going to hurt even more... but they are happy to tell you that won't be for a while.

Bought gas last week for $1.44 in Sulphur Springs Texas and then added the taxes of 38.5 cents to make it $1.82

HDRider":1a1wg7x2 said:
They are going to raise the federal part of the fuel tax by .18 per gallon.

It is 18.4 cents a gallon now so it will be 18.58 cents after the raise. Is that right

Here in KY state tax went down Jan. 1st, not reflected at the local pumps in our small town, guess they are pocketing that money.

hurleyjd":38t3gtmd said:
HDRider":38t3gtmd said:
They are going to raise the federal part of the fuel tax by .18 per gallon.

It is 18.4 cents a gallon now so it will be 18.58 cents after the raise. Is that right
No, he means increasing it by another $0.18/gal--18 addittional cents--(not 18/100s of a cent)--making it a total of $0.36.4 federal tax/gal.
But, the exact amount changes depending who ya listen to.
Some of the lawmakers on the bi-partisan committee wanted 20 more cents--some wanted only a 12 cent increase, so they are most likely to settle on a 15 cent increase.
As of Dec 03 2014--(that is the 3rd (third) day of December 2014).

A bipartisan pair of lawmakers pushed Wednesday for a 15-cent increase in the tax that is paid by drivers when they fill up at the pump.

Drivers have been charged an extra 18.4 cents per gallon at the pump to help pay for transportation projects since 1993 under the federal gas tax.

Reps. Tom Petri (R-Wis.) and Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) said Wednesday that it was time to ask drivers to pay more to help improve the roads they drive on everyday...........
http://thehill.com/policy/transportatio ... s-tax-hike

When your tax doubles, then your prices will be close to ours.. maybe.. might have to quadruple it though.

Our town's fuel is about $1/gal higher than just 50 miles away.. all the time.. I avoid fueling here whenever I can.

I'm more convinced than ever, that our government rules the oil companies. Why do we need the Keystone pipe line with oil prices this low? And look at the economy people have plenty of money to spend? Affordable health care didn't really hurt anyone? Yeah right wait till the fuel prices go back up and we're going to be hurting. I hope the fuel prices keep falling. The oil companies and their shareholders have been doing well and still are. It's hard to believe how much money we saved with the fuel prices being this low. I feel like a big oil tycoon.

The reason the oil is so low is because of the success we have had in drilling the shale plays here in America. Right now there is a surplus of about 3-4 million barrels perday being produced. OPEC has decided they will not cut production in order to stabilize the prices because normally when they do something like that Saudi takes the biggest hit due to the fact that they cut their production but the other countries cheat a little. So Saudi has decided they will not cut prodution but will let the free market work like it is supposed to work. In the mean time we dont know how long this downturn will last but we are expecting th US to lose about 500-800 drilling rigs. Thats about 30% of US rigs.Now your talking about around 20000 jobs lost just on the rigs themselves. Then ones that are left working will be facing a 30% decrease in wages if they are lucky. So you see the "big oil" are the only ones that wont be hurt by this. Theyll pass it on down until the only one hurt is the bottom guys. Enjoy your cheap gas.

That's BS and you know it Craig. I've fished in the Gulf of Mexico since 1987, and the oil companies have been dismantling oil rigs the last 10 years like never before. There are less than a third of the oil rigs - platforms now than in the 90's.
The oil companies have ruined the fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. But once again I blame that on our government letting them do it.
I've often wondered how far down do we own? And if we don't own the air above our property, why can we rent our land to someone that's going to put a radio tower on it?
And yes I will enjoy my low fuel cost, and so will the majority of Americans.

highgrit":ooku68iv said:
That's BS and you know it Craig. I've fished in the Gulf of Mexico since 1987, and the oil companies have been dismantling oil rigs the last 10 years like never before. There are less than a third of the oil rigs - platforms now than in the 90's.
The oil companies have ruined the fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. But once again I blame that on our government letting them do it.
I've often wondered how far down do we own? And if we don't own the air above our property, why can we rent our land to someone that's going to put a radio tower on it?
1. Never fished the Gulf but have been told the best fishing is around drilling platforms.
2. You lease or rent "surface rights" for a radio or cell phone tower....not the air.
3. For every rig shut down in the gulf about 3 were placed into service in the Eagle Ford and Permian Basin in Texas.

Yep we have a bit of an oil surplus but it takes no time to drain it back down to a deficit. Just wait and watch.

I saw on the news somewhere that low gas prices have already saved Americans $14 billion. Seems like a good thing to me.

I hope its different this time but low oil prices are usually a harbinger of things to come. The best of all world is a barrel of oil around $85-$90. Oil companies making a decent profit is very very good to many Americans in parts of the country where good jobs are hard to find. The $14 billion that was saved wasn't really saved. It was used to buy anothe $5 cup of starbucks coffee or a 6 pack of bud.

TexasBred":281tco97 said:
highgrit":281tco97 said:
1. Never fished the Gulf but have been told the best fishing is around drilling platforms.
2. You lease or rent "surface rights" for a radio or cell phone tower....not the air.
3. For every rig shut down in the gulf about 3 were placed into service in the Eagle Ford and Permian Basin in Texas.

Yep we have a bit of an oil surplus but it takes no time to drain it back down to a deficit. Just wait and watch.

Your right, the drilling has slowed way down in the gulf. Especially after the BP fiasco. But as TB said the drilling in the permian, marcellus, and somewhat in the eagleford has been booming. Right now there are about 600 more rigs running in the US alone than there were ten years ago. TB the oil supplies will level out. Unfortunately a good number of friends and coworkers will be homeless before it happens. Maybe even me.

Dont take my word for it. Baker Hughes has been counting rigs since about 1945
Rig count this month:
http://gis.bakerhughesdirect.com/Reports/StandardReport.aspx

Rig count ten years ago:
http://investor.shareholder.com/com....cfm?releaseid=291541&CompanyID=BHI&mobileid=

I'm talking about the Gulf of Mexico not land based rigs - platforms. I saw a satellite image of the western Gulf of Mexico from 2000 to 2010 and it's not a city in the Gulf anymore. I don't know what the oil companies call them. But in front of Port Fourchon - Belle Pass the ship channel went through the hole in the wall. The hole being the only place without a rig. Now there's no rabbit field or hole in the wall left, and no rigs either. You oil guy's have different names for rigs and platforms, pumping stations, satellite unmanned and a whole lot of others. But I know the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana quite well. And there's no where near the number of rigs - platforms, metal pipes sticking above the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.
You can twist the facts and words anyway you want. But there still will be less stuff sticking out of the water in the Gulf of Mexico then any other time in the last 30 years.

bird dog":17ozuqno said:
The $14 billion that was saved wasn't really saved. It was used to buy anothe $5 cup of starbucks coffee or a 6 pack of bud.
Isn't that better than going into the pockets of an arab oil sheik?

Latest posts