This is getting rediculous..snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

Hang a live bream half in the water and half out of the water of a tree limb or pole. It will give off sound waves and scent, snakes, turtles and gators will come and check it out. Also works to catch big bass. Next time a drought comes have dead eye hunt the pond bank in the late AM. Just stay after them you will thin them out. I killed 9 rattlesnakes the first year after clearing for the house and barn. Been seeing less and less every year. And a good dog will work wonders, teach them to hunt snakes instead of birds.

If you tie a rope onto the tin you can just yank the tin about 5 or 6 feet. Sometimes this rolls them over and injures them for the coup de grace with the snake shot. I was having trouble with water mocs last year. I killed oodles of them this way. Just lay the tin in the sun on the bank of the pond about 5 ft from the waters edge.

I have only seen one all summer and I spun his cap around with a .22 rifle. Copperheads are bad about crawling under tin. Had some close calls as a kid picking up old barn tin that had been laying about. A garden hoe worked well on them.

Hook, if you have a 10 acre pond, go frog giggin. We always killed snakes while giggin. Cotton mouths tend to come to light at night. 22 rifle is ok, but a 410 is better. I suspect you could get rid of a bunch that way. We always walked pond banks, but you could use a boat. You might even get a mess of legs for supper. If you have a son, that might give him some memories of a life time.

Hoss, that's a good idea with the rope.
Brimmer, that's a good idea too. When this weather cools I have a sneaking suspicion there's going to be a lot of coyote and snake hunting going on

brimmer X":3tcgpg45 said:
Hook, if you have a 10 acre pond, go frog giggin. We always killed snakes while giggin. Cotton mouths tend to come to light at night. 22 rifle is ok, but a 410 is better. I suspect you could get rid of a bunch that way. We always walked pond banks, but you could use a boat. You might even get a mess of legs for supper. If you have a son, that might give him some memories of a life time.

brings back a memory I have to tell on myself.....
hands hurt this morning and typing is tough....please excuse.

THE YEAR I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL I CONTRACTED HORSES AND TAUGHT HORSEBACK RIDING AT A YMCA CAMP.
THERE WERE A FEW LIKE ME THAT WERE NOT COUNSELORS AND DID NOT HAVE KIDS....WE SOUGHT OUT STUFF TO DO AT NIGHT....
ONE NIGHT WE WENT FROG GIGGING....
BIG LAKE....THREE OF US IN A CANOE....I WAS IN BACK DRIVING...GUY IN THE MIDDLE HAD THE LIGHT AND THE GUY IN THE FRONT WAS GIGGING.....

WE WERE HAVING A GOOD TIME AND CATCHING A BUNCH OF FROGS.....TYING THEIR LEGS TOGETHER AND TOSSING THEM IN THE BACK OF THE CANOE.....

OF COURSE THE BEST FROGS WERE ON THE BANKS UNDER THE LOW HANGING BRANCHES......

SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT WE SHOULD BE WATCHING THOSE BRANCHES AS SNAKES MIGHT BE ON THEM....
HEIGHTENED MY SENSITIVITY TO THE SUBJECT.......

ABOUT TWO MINUTES AFTER THIS REMARK WE WERE ZEROING IN ON A BIG PAIR OF EYES,,,,
THE LIGHT MAN WAS HOLDING STEADY,,,,,
THE GIGGER WAS LEANING TO GET IN RANGE...
I WAS TRYING QUIETLY TO PADDLE HIM INTO RANGE.....UNDER A BUNCH OF LOW HANGING BRANCHES....

ABOUT THAT TIME A GROUP OF FROGS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE CANOE.....
LAUNCHED THEMSELVES INTO MY LAP.....
KNOWING I WAS ABOUT TO BE SNAKE BIT IN THE GONADS.....
I TOOK EXTREME ACTION....
RESULTING IN UPSETTING THE CANOE AND THOWING ALL OCCUPANTS INTO THE WATER AND CAUSING GREAT COMMOTION ....
WHICH RESULTED IN AWAKENING HALF OF THE KIDS AND ALL OF THE ADULTS IN CAMP.....

WE LOST THE FROGS....LOST THE GIG....LOST THE LIGHT....LOST THE PADDLE IN THE DARK....AND i HAD TO SWIM BACK PUSHING THE DAMNED CANOE.....

WE WERE BARRED FROM ANY MORE NOCTURNAL FROG GIGGING......

Cross7's baitfish trap is how I catch them. Learned how by accident. I had drilled several holes in a 35mm film canister, and had it cloths hangar wired so it was suspended in the middle. Canister was packed full of boiled egg. Kids pulled it out of the water to get the bait fish and did not put it back in. It rolled back partially into the edge of the water so that one end of the "funnel" was in the water. Next day there were 5 mocassins in it. I think they would have killed each other, but I did give them the chance. 12ga scatter shot took care of them. The trap has to be repair with wire each time I use it :lol2: , but it's the best method I've found for rural ponds.

We keep 2 geese at home and haven't seen a snake around the house in years

Good story pdfangus. We have several frog giggin stories always fun. But the one most talked about is when Dad got Moma's pillow case to put the frogs in. You can image how that went over. I was about 3 or 4 and Dad had one big Ol frog he put in the bath tub with me. He caught the frogs by hand,so no injuries. He let Oscar return to the lake. That was over fourty years ago.

Latest posts