This is getting rediculous..snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need to find a way to poison some snakes. Found a dead calf today that was alive 2 days ago. Buzzards won't touch her. And in this heat they should be all over the carcass. Leads me to believe its a snakebite again. Same property where the bull got bit, same place we lost 2 cows to unknown causes. One cow that died we found a hole and assumed it was a low caliber gunshot. Now I'm thinking snake because the buzzards didn't take to her carcass for almost 4 months.
So, if I have a snake problem, how can I kill every snake there. At this point I don't really care if they're good or bad snakes. I just want the poisonous ones dead. Suggestions??? I dont care how, or if its non discriminate. No pets around the place, so poison is a good option.

hooknline":15k8rfti said:
There's gotta be a way besides honey badgers and mongoose.

:lol: I have seen more snakes this year since we average like 5 inches a week than ever before in my life.

ALACOWMAN":c3cfyu96 said:
dont look like you can do much.. you'd have to control the whole state
I'm good with that. Just need to know what they're susceptible to

ALACOWMAN":327fohe4 said:
hooknline":327fohe4 said:
ALACOWMAN":327fohe4 said:
dont look like you can do much.. you'd have to control the whole state
I'm good with that. Just need to know what they're susceptible to
how low can you run a hot wire around the fence perimeter
Poison might work but you have to get them to eat it somehow. Low set snares might work but leg hold traps are out.

How ever you have been killing them just keep doing it. You can't get them all but you can sure do your part.
I have made it a life long project to kill as many as I possibly can (you probably didn't know that about me).
Best I ever had was a snake dog. I used to hunt them with a .22. Once he understood I was killing snakes he took over the project. He would smell them and go after them--snakes I would never have seen.
Him being a snake hunting dog just happened that way. I have no idea as to how to train a dog like that.

All I can say is just kill them any way you can and just stay with it.
Other than that dog, I have never found a magic system. But I have never given up on the project.

My father in-law crushes mothballs and scatters it all around his fence lines.. I was told that moth balls are toxic and that it can get in your soil etc and cause livestock loses as well. But it seems to work. He has no more snakes, come to think of it he has very few rodents,snakes,spiders etc...lol

Kingfisher":qlc6j43f said:
Jeffers sell some sort of snake "repellant."
All the snake repellant product are napthalene. The same main product in mothballs. Extremely toxic if it gets into a water supply. Seeing that i think the main culprit are water moccasins and that the cows main water supply is a 10 acre or so dug pond, I don't think that using napthalene around the pond is a good idea. Especially with the rain we've had that would wash it down to the water supply.
But i did think about that stuff and look into it

M5farm":2ujrh4n0 said:
if they are in the pond it wuld be a good time to supply a little electrical current or dynamite
Except its right next to I-4. And electrical current is extremely limited to its effectiveness outside of 20 ft.

The way things seem to go "invasive" down there in the swamp (see: pythons) I think if you released a breeding pair of my hybridized mongooses (or is that mongeese)? in 5 yrs. snakes would be on the endangered species list.
I would take a reasonable offer on this pair. It would be a small price in relation to the public service you would be doing.
And sympathy on your losses. The market is pretty strong--makes it harder to lose one.

Latest posts