thinkin bout gittin a donkey

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
whats involved maint wise...not like a horse i know but...

can i just let em out with the cows and he'll be fine.

do i need more than one cuz most of the people with em seem like they have a cpl..they need companions?

they go bout 300 bucks here for a male...

course i need a female asap too so we can have a foal?? is it?? baby donkey either way

Just get a female that isn't bred. Or get a female llama.
The jacks have a tendency to be mean, and horny.
Assuming you want them for protection.
Still having a dog problem?

i just think theyre cool..dog problem is gone...i pray...

the scumbags and the dog appear to have moved on. again..i pray

the new fence seems to have done the trick...lazy fat pos couldnt get over it and the dog wouldve been owned...
the owner of the prop thought the fence was real nice...quite high also..

theres a cpl on craigslist...idk..my nieghbor got a cpl really cool white ones im gonna ask him about...

they look like ghosts..

llama..really..yuk

dieselbeef":35kfct9s said:

do i need more than one cuz most of the people with em seem like they have a cpl..they need companions?

course i need a female asap too so we can have a foal?? is it?? baby donkey either way
Fla. might be different but they're giving the things away or turning them loose over here.

TexasBred":2gfvcs8n said:
dieselbeef":2gfvcs8n said:

Fla. might be different but they're giving the things away or turning them loose over here.
They charge for em here most of the time

yeah..300-350 for a reg size..minis are high...

free would be awesome tho..new ad for craigslist..

ILL TAKE YER UNWANTED DONKEY...

whattya think corey?

well if i had one, id give it to you.... 3 things their good at brayin' eating and kicking.. if they were big as a mule.. they would kick your head off, smooth with the shoulders....

TennesseeTuxedo":3egfujzn said:
But they do serve a purpose when it comes to dog and coyote control do they not?

my thoughts also..i like the braying...well maybe cuz i aint got one...but i think theyre cool anyways

TennesseeTuxedo":21y88k2h said:
But they do serve a purpose when it comes to dog and coyote control do they not?
my brahman influenced momas takes care of the varmits....i dont want a dog to even follow me in the pasture...... unless it would be a trained cow dog

Not all donkeys get along with cattle. I have two jennies that live in one of the horse pastures. They are OK with the grown cattle, but are not trustworthy around calves, especially new born. They will stomp them in a heart beat.

Depending on your ground (soil), they may need regular hoof care (trimmed by a farrier). They also need to be dewormed quarterly and should be vaccinated like a horse. You will want to be sure that the donkey has a recent negative Coggins Test. You sure don't want to buy one that is positive for EIA.

Also you will need to be sure that the donkey does not have access to cattle only minerals or any sort of creep feed that contains urea. It will kill the donkey.

Saying all of that. I like donkeys alot. They are much smarter than a horse.

igotta have em trimmed even if theyre running pasture..fergit thatt then..i dont need that.

stompin calfs..thats strike 2..uh oh

some donks hooves will break off, others are tough as nails and will get overgrown where they look like a slipper. You just have to keep an eye on them.

A donkey that is good with both adult cattle and calves is valuable.

I had one for a while, he was a stray. He would walk up and down the fence line following the cows. So I got the not so smart idea to let him with the cows after about a week. He bit one of my bred heifers on the ear and would not let go. The whole herd was running around raising cane and in a panic, and about the time I got through the gate with the truck he let her go. I ran him down and over with the truck, went plum under it. They are really tuff never hurt him and I was trying to kill him. My neighbor with horses heard all the going ons and yelled at me don't shoot him I want him. He's over there now walking the other fence line following the cows. Good Luck

dieselbeef":2brol359 said:
yeah..300-350 for a reg size..minis are high...

free would be awesome tho..new ad for craigslist..

ILL TAKE YER UNWANTED DONKEY...

whattya think corey?

Works for the good ol' boys advertising "Will haul off all your junk metal..old stoves, etc...no charge". :nod:

Latest posts