Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder if some of the ones complaining about not having a human check them out with their groceries are the same that were complaining about online grocery pick up awhile back? You know, where a human goes and grabs all your groceries and then same human or another human loads them in your car.

I'm sorry but if I'm going to go as far as demanding someone check me out (in the self checkout no less) Im going all the way and making them get the groceries off the shelf and put them in my car. I mean checking out is the least involved part of the whole process. I guess maybe we're tired by the time we get to the register. 🤣
Had a friend of mine get on my butt about us using the grocery pick up and self checkouts, I told him the grocery pick up creates 2 jobs the one shopping and the one who brings it out. As far as self checkout, if we have alot of stuff I'd rather someone do it but otherwise I'll do the self checkout. I mean someone has to build the machine and service it for self checkout. Low skill jobs are definitely less than they used to be but are being replaced with need for high skilled labor, people who actually have to think about what they're doing. Problem is, I don't know what we do with all of the people who don't have the capability to learn a skilled job or the want to. Can't really blame companies for replacing people with a machine, the whole world is hiring and you can't get anyone to fill the positions. I was in the local dollar general yesterday and they were out of alot of stuff, I asked the manager what the deal was? He said they are having a hard time getting route drivers so the stores are not staying stocked due to no trucks running consistently.

I've never done self checkout or curbside, anywhere. I don't have a reason to complain, and in fact believe those options/services have a place.

My "complaint" was the employees standing around monitoring the self checkout lanes. That is an example of inefficiency, which has a cost that is passed along to the end user (the customer), whether we use that option or not. It affects the price of everything. It's not just Walmart.

Have you noticed a savings by using the self checkout? Having never used one, I don't know. I also expect that I must use a credit or debit card in these lanes, which can have direct or indirect expenses associated with the transaction.

A business owner should be mindful of ways to increase efficiency for a lot of reasons, even if it's just to increase their profit. They should at least consider the waste and who pays for it when they have employees standing around having customers do the work for them.

Considering this further, maybe I can get my customers to work on their own sheet and pay me to watch. Genius. I'll only need to figure out a way to pass that idea along to the masses, so they believe it's a great deal.
They're paying one person to monitor several self checkouts at once.

ANY company I own stock in? Or a company whose stock is in a mutual fund I own? If they can get widgits made over seas cheaper than they can here, then that is by God what I expect the CEO to do. If they can automate, use technology, to eliminate jobs...especially a damned union job... lowering costs and raising profits, then that it best by God what I want the CEO to do. I love it that instead of 8 people paid to run registries, they can eliminate 7 and use one employee to monitor 8 self checks. I alwas used self checks when they had them, even if they had one self ccheck and 20 check out lines that were open.

Was in Lowes today, they only had one checkout isle open and had sone self checkouts
Our Tractor Supply usually only has two employees in the whole store. If they start using self checkouts they may not need any employees at all.
Rural King, is a mess with people stealing, if they go the route of self checkouts they will need multiple armed people checking receipts. They actually need that now.

Had a friend of mine get on my butt about us using the grocery pick up and self checkouts, I told him the grocery pick up creates 2 jobs the one shopping and the one who brings it out. As far as self checkout, if we have alot of stuff I'd rather someone do it but otherwise I'll do the self checkout. I mean someone has to build the machine and service it for self checkout. Low skill jobs are definitely less than they used to be but are being replaced with need for high skilled labor, people who actually have to think about what they're doing. Problem is, I don't know what we do with all of the people who don't have the capability to learn a skilled job or the want to. Can't really blame companies for replacing people with a machine, the whole world is hiring and you can't get anyone to fill the positions. I was in the local dollar general yesterday and they were out of alot of stuff, I asked the manager what the deal was? He said they are having a hard time getting route drivers so the stores are not staying stocked due to no trucks running consistently.
That's two fold, man. The trucking crisis has a lot to do with 2020-2022, age demographics, and portrayals of truckers in media.

ANY company I own stock in? Or a company whose stock is in a mutual fund I own? If they can get widgits made over seas cheaper than they can here, then that is by God what I expect the CEO to do. If they can automate, use technology, to eliminate jobs...especially a damned union job... lowering costs and raising profits, then that it best by God what I want the CEO to do. I love it that instead of 8 people paid to run registries, they can eliminate 7 and use one employee to monitor 8 self checks. I alwas used self checks when they had them, even if they had one self ccheck and 20 check out lines that were open.
Now somebody is talking sense.

I have been self.employed and/or owned businesses all my life. The few times I did have a job, I figured it was because I was too stuoid to figure out hw not to. When I went off to college, my grandaddy, who only went through 8th grade and died a multi millionaire told me " Boy, don't you come home from college and tell me you got a job making $250k a year ( a lot of ,money in 1974). If you do you are a fool and I am wasting money on your tuition. You need to go to that colllege and study how to be the man that PAYS people $250k a year, because than man is making a killing off of your ass paying you that $250k a year for your labor. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be paying anyone that much." I took it to heart, often making less than minimum wage, and often 6 or 7 figures in a year. Sometimes in the same year. But I never answered to no boss. I never took my hard earned money and started a company to give some one a job. I did it make ME money. No one ever offered to pay me more for MY goods or services so that I could make more money, and I damned sure don't want to pay more than I need to for a product or service so their employees can make more money. No one ever funded a retirement plan for me, provided health insurance for me, or paid me to go on vacation, either. I had to provide that for myself. I care nothing at all about taking MY money to fund these for others, Especially a damned government employee.

I worked, my wife worked, we worked our butts off at home and at other jobs to get what we have.
Didn't have a rich relative to pay our way to get started. I respect people with real jobs. Have same opinion of most government jobs and union crap. Still need people working, checkout machines don't pay taxes.

I worked, my wife worked, we worked our butts off at home and at other jobs to get what we have.
Didn't have a rich relative to pay our way to get started. I respect people with real jobs. Have same opinion of most government jobs and union crap. Still need people working, checkout machines don't pay taxes.
This, that and the more people who don't work, the more people I have to pay for to do nothing but sit at home and smoke pot and make babies that I'll also have to pay for. If I have to pay for them either way, I'd rather pay them to do something.

Now the coupon people would drive me to a self checkout if one was open. Do you keep your coupons in a fanny pack, and dig for them to present one at a time? I'd probably hand you a $20 just to get out of my way ;)
lol, funny as hell...normally just 1 to 3 coupons setting on conveyor belt- no hand-off. I make up for the coupon time when i go to pay...i pay fast and efficient and even bag my own groceries as they come off the line....so "with me" in line ahead of you...you are getting a time savings.

probably helps some Chinese man to have a job.
Apparently people here don't want manufacturing jobs, or any jobs for that matter. Just look around, all the companies are hiring and offering good money and very few takers. There is a Lennox factory in Stuttgart,AR, employs around 1400 when fully staffed, they already paid good and have a health clinic on site for free and just gave an additional $3/hour raise and are still begging people to come to work there. I've toured the plant several times, it's not terrible work by any means. My father-in-law retired from there in March, they called him a month later trying to get him to come back to work with that $3/hour raise. He would've if it was closer but he was driving 60 miles one way to work and was burned out on the drive. That's just one example of why stuff is being automated and jobs go overseas. If our government would stop handing out money we might could have more jobs stay here and have a better economy. They need to crack down on people who get disability but really don't need it and all of the other government handouts. I know there are truly people who need them but most are playing the system and us taxpayers.

lol, funny as hell...normally just 1 to 3 coupons setting on conveyor belt- no hand-off. I make up for the coupon time when i go to pay...i pay fast and efficient and even bag my own groceries as they come off the line....so "with me" in line ahead of you...you are getting a time savings.
No S&H Green stamps?

Apparently people here don't want manufacturing jobs, or any jobs for that matter. Just look around, all the companies are hiring and offering good money and very few takers. There is a Lennox factory in Stuttgart,AR, employs around 1400 when fully staffed, they already paid good and have a health clinic on site for free and just gave an additional $3/hour raise and are still begging people to come to work there. I've toured the plant several times, it's not terrible work by any means. My father-in-law retired from there in March, they called him a month later trying to get him to come back to work with that $3/hour raise. He would've if it was closer but he was driving 60 miles one way to work and was burned out on the drive. That's just one example of why stuff is being automated and jobs go overseas. If our government would stop handing out money we might could have more jobs stay here and have a better economy. They need to crack down on people who get disability but really don't need it and all of the other government handouts. I know there are truly people who need them but most are playing the system and us taxpayers.
I retired from Goodyear 2 years ago. If I could go back on a part time basis I would jump on it. A generational difference,I guess.

Latest posts