Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder if some of the ones complaining about not having a human check them out with their groceries are the same that were complaining about online grocery pick up awhile back? You know, where a human goes and grabs all your groceries and then same human or another human loads them in your car.

I'm sorry but if I'm going to go as far as demanding someone check me out (in the self checkout no less) Im going all the way and making them get the groceries off the shelf and put them in my car. I mean checking out is the least involved part of the whole process. I guess maybe we're tired by the time we get to the register. 🤣

I wonder if some of the ones complaining about not having a human check them out with their groceries are the same that were complaining about online grocery pick up awhile back? You know, where a human goes and grabs all your groceries and then same human or another human loads them in your car.

I'm sorry but if I'm going to go as far as demanding someone check me out (in the self checkout no less) Im going all the way and making them get the groceries off the shelf and put them in my car. I mean checking out is the least involved part of the whole process. I guess maybe we're tired by the time we get to the register. 🤣
I like the curbside pickup, with what most outfits are paying folks these days that's a good way for them to earn it.

I've never done self checkout or curbside, anywhere. I don't have a reason to complain, and in fact believe those options/services have a place.

My "complaint" was the employees standing around monitoring the self checkout lanes. That is an example of inefficiency, which has a cost that is passed along to the end user (the customer), whether we use that option or not. It affects the price of everything. It's not just Walmart.

Have you noticed a savings by using the self checkout? Having never used one, I don't know. I also expect that I must use a credit or debit card in these lanes, which can have direct or indirect expenses associated with the transaction.

A business owner should be mindful of ways to increase efficiency for a lot of reasons, even if it's just to increase their profit. They should at least consider the waste and who pays for it when they have employees standing around having customers do the work for them.

Considering this further, maybe I can get my customers to work on their own sheet and pay me to watch. Genius. I'll only need to figure out a way to pass that idea along to the masses, so they believe it's a great deal.

I don't mind the self check , but they better not be talking when I need the date put in to buy beer! I gave a gal a "hell scream" the other day. "Hey get her # and call her at home, and ring up my beer please"!

I agree with @Ouachita I believe there is a place for self checkouts and curbside pickup. I also think there is a place and a need for traditional checkout aisles with cashiers.
I know the curbside pickup got popular during the pandemic and will likely remain as it is handy for some folks.
I'm not ready for that yet, I'd rather be able to pick out my fruit. If it looks in good stage of ripeness I'll buy it but if it's over ripe or too green I'll just pass on it. That store shopper is just gonna put a bunch of bananas, grapes, or whatever in the buggy for ya. Same thing with eggs ( we don't buy them cause have chickens) do they check to see if there are broken eggs in the carton.
It looks like to me the big box stores come into town and the little mom and pop stores in which the owners or long time employees would go out of their way to help you were out out of business. Now people have very little choice as to where to go and real customer service is extinct.
Good luck getting any help to load out at the back lumber yard at Lowes. The few times lately we've had to find it and load it ourselves, but they do have a dude sitting the at the gatehouse to see if your receipt matches what's in your truck.

I've never done self checkout or curbside, anywhere. I don't have a reason to complain, and in fact believe those options/services have a place.

My "complaint" was the employees standing around monitoring the self checkout lanes. That is an example of inefficiency, which has a cost that is passed along to the end user (the customer), whether we use that option or not. It affects the price of everything. It's not just Walmart.

Have you noticed a savings by using the self checkout? Having never used one, I don't know. I also expect that I must use a credit or debit card in these lanes, which can have direct or indirect expenses associated with the transaction.

A business owner should be mindful of ways to increase efficiency for a lot of reasons, even if it's just to increase their profit. They should at least consider the waste and who pays for it when they have employees standing around having customers do the work for them.

Considering this further, maybe I can get my customers to work on their own sheet and pay me to watch. Genius. I'll only need to figure out a way to pass that idea along to the masses, so they believe it's a great deal.
Do you consider one person overseeing six or more registers inefficient compared to a person at each?
FYI. When most business invest in new equipment to increase efficiency and cut cost. They don't do it so you can save money. Ie . A 85,000 skid steer can do the work of several employees and without the liability and drama that comes with human beings. I learned that the hard way. So when I buy a skid steer and a 15,000 post driver. I need to be giving you a discount because there's not as much man power required??? Interesting...

I know your next move will be that your doing some of the work. I guess maybe we have different ideas of what constitutes work. But maybe if you'll get in one of those scooters they provide FREE of charge to haul your sunglasses 😎...you'll reach the checkout feeling less overworked... 😉

I agree with @Ouachita I believe there is a place for self checkouts and curbside pickup. I also think there is a place and a need for traditional checkout aisles with cashiers.
I know the curbside pickup got popular during the pandemic and will likely remain as it is handy for some folks.
I'm not ready for that yet, I'd rather be able to pick out my fruit. If it looks in good stage of ripeness I'll buy it but if it's over ripe or too green I'll just pass on it. That store shopper is just gonna put a bunch of bananas, grapes, or whatever in the buggy for ya. Same thing with eggs ( we don't buy them cause have chickens) do they check to see if there are broken eggs in the carton.
It looks like to me the big box stores come into town and the little mom and pop stores in which the owners or long time employees would go out of their way to help you were out out of business. Now people have very little choice as to where to go and real customer service is extinct.
Good luck getting any help to load out at the back lumber yard at Lowes. The few times lately we've had to find it and load it ourselves, but they do have a dude sitting the at the gatehouse to see if your receipt matches what's in your truck.
That is what is called a free market.
Mom and Pop spend a lot of time and energy to baby the customer. But they get beat by a more efficient and smarter business that knows what the customer really wants. To save money. If mom and Pop had listened to the customers and recognize (that's real customer service btw) they might have survived. In most retail settings people know what they want. Online store success is proof.
Business that fail to read the writing on the wall get what they deserve. It's good for the business that do adapt with the times. Culling of the herd.

Mom and Pop spend a lot of time and energy to baby the customer. But they get beat by a more efficient and smarter business that knows what the customer really wants. To save money. If mom and Pop had listened to the customers and recognize (that's real customer service btw) they might have survived. In most retail settings people know what they want. Online store success is proof.
Business that fail to read the writing on the wall get what they deserve. It's good for the business that do adapt with the times. Culling of the herd.
You won't be saying that when the Amazon Clone-a-Cowboy 9000 fence builders powered by Tesla take over your market.

I disagree. It's not near that simple, a lot of factors at play. The main one being that the big stores can buy at lower wholesale rates and sell close to or less than what small stores can buy their products for. Then you have the crossover times where customers go to the big stores for there cheaper merchandise and run back to the small stores for specialty services, but that only only works until the small store realizes they can't stay open just in specific work. I know you'll have a comeback for that.

Six of one and a half dozen of the other...

The Mom and Pop gives great service and they have the people that really know their products and give good advice... which kills them when they get a customer that comes in to find out which product is best and then that same customer goes to the big box store because the big retailer has the advantage in economies of scale so they have much lower prices.
The big box store also has greater selection because of economies of scale so it is more convenient to shop there.
I tend to shop prices but would rather shop local if I can find it reasonably priced. We have less than ten items we regularly buy at Wally World, buy since we do go there we also impulse buy.
NEVER buy Walmart peaches...

Do you consider one person overseeing six or more registers inefficient compared to a person at each?
FYI. When most business invest in new equipment to increase efficiency and cut cost. They don't do it so you can save money. Ie . A 85,000 skid steer can do the work of several employees and without the liability and drama that comes with human beings. I learned that the hard way. So when I buy a skid steer and a 15,000 post driver. I need to be giving you a discount because there's not as much man power required??? Interesting...

I know your next move will be that your doing some of the work. I guess maybe we have different ideas of what constitutes work. But maybe if you'll get in one of those scooters they provide FREE of charge to haul your sunglasses 😎...you'll reach the checkout feeling less overworked... 😉
I'll bet you don't have employees standing around watching the skid steer.

It's okay fence, I know you'll argue with a fencepost and have a lot of opportunity to do so;). My observation at Walmart had nothing to do with how new tech is smart nor how it replaces employees. I agree, it is smart and should result in increased efficiency/profits and therefore a company being more competitive. This is not what I observed at Walmart last week when there were no less than 5 employees monitoring 6-8 self checks with their hands or arms folded in front of them.

I disagree. It's not near that simple, a lot of factors at play. The main one being that the big stores can buy at lower wholesale rates and sell close to or less than what small stores can buy their products for. Then you have the crossover times where customers go to the big stores for there cheaper merchandise and run back to the small stores for specialty services, but that only only works until the small store realizes they can't stay open just in specific work. I know you'll have a comeback for that.
Since you consider any response that disagrees with you a comeback.
I have made through some hard times with my business. I simply don't quit, never ever. And when needed I step up and work harder. I've beat many a competitor by being stubborn and hardheaded and outworking them. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon
Those who believe the successful company should get out of the way so they can play get no mercy from me.

If they build a fence building robot I'll be the first to buy one. I'm still waiting on a skid steer attachment to clip tpost.
This is smart. If you retain employees to stand and watch your new tech fence clipper, post a picture. It'll resemble my Walmart experience.

Since you consider any response that disagrees with you a comeback.
I have made through some hard times with my business. I simply don't quit, never ever. And when needed I step up and work harder. I've beat many a competitor by being stubborn and hardheaded and outworking them. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon
Those who believe the successful company should get out of the way so they can play get no mercy from me.
You're reading too much into my word choice of comeback. Simply meant that I knew you would have a response and I had a had a pretty good idea of what it would be as I remember we've had a similar discussion a good while back. I meant nothing facetious but it.
I'm sure you are a hard worker and dedicated to what you do, that is a good thing and also admirable. Everyone in business faces lean times that's a given.
Times and situations change and business has to adapt, I agree with that.
We're doing things I never would have imagined even 10 years ago, but you do what you have to do. I'm dusting furniture, sweeping floors, multiple times a week. Who knows maybe when Amazon or Atwood's gets into fencing we might be hearing about Mr Fence's mobile dog grooming. Just a silly example, no offense meant.
It's a much different world, people used to could retire in the same profession they started out in and maybe even passed it in to their children or grandchildren, but now people usually changes jobs, careers many times.

On the mom and Pop thing.
Many if not most big box stores. Including Walmart started out as small mom and Pop business. They simply outperformed, outsmarted and and outlucked the competition.
It seems people hate whoever is more successful than them or whoever beats them is not playing fair. Not very..... well you know.

Latest posts