Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Biggest problem I have with the self checkout is that I personally don't think the checkout people are dumb and I want more people to have jobs, not machines. The move to automate jobs and have 1 job where 10 were before isn't something I'm crazy about. I don't want no UBI crud and I don't want anymore BS jobs that just exist to pad company quotas while we get rid of useful positions. That's just me.

I would love to avoid Walmart at all costs. But that isn't an option and it's the only thing within 40 miles. And yet . . . . small town living at its finest. Our local Walmart sponsors or participates in most all of the community fundraisers. Occasionally I'll pay for the groceries for the person behind me. The majority of the employees have been there for years, as in, a lot of them know me by name (I'll talk to anyone). They do hire some people with special needs, and we let one of them fish on our watershed. In my world, it is what it is, and I have to make the best of it. But I don't do self-checkout!

Biggest problem I have with the self checkout is that I personally don't think the checkout people are dumb and I want more people to have jobs, not machines. The move to automate jobs and have 1 job where 10 were before isn't something I'm crazy about. I don't want no UBI crud and I don't want anymore BS jobs that just exist to pad company quotas while we get rid of useful positions. That's just me.
Do you think think earthmoving companies should go back to shovel and wheelbarrow to create more jobs that nobody wants???

Do you think think earthmoving companies should go back to shovel and wheelbarrow to create more jobs that nobody wants???
The leap between checking out groceries and earthmoving is pretty considerable. We all move forward better having machines (all of which require at least one operator) for heavy jobs. Having a clerk to check out my stuff allows me to ask questions, add items that aren't self-service, somebody to promote store incentives and to help me with deals I might not have known about. It also provides jobs for a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have one. Everyone talks about young people not working these days, well, around here 75% of the people in those jobs are high school or college kids or old folks who still want to work to supplement their social security.

The leap between checking out groceries and earthmoving is pretty considerable. We all move forward better having machines (all of which require at least one operator) for heavy jobs. Having a clerk to check out my stuff allows me to ask questions, add items that aren't self-service, somebody to promote store incentives and to help me with deals I might not have known about. It also provides jobs for a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have one. Everyone talks about young people not working these days, well, around here 75% of the people in those jobs are high school or college kids or old folks who still want to work to supplement their social security.
Maybe those young kids would be better off learning to run a shovel and wheelbarrow than pushing barcodes across a scanner, but what do I know. Well I have been hiring laborers for 2 decades.
As far as needing help with my shopping I tend to do ok unassisted. Maybe I'm gifted idk. Let's meet back on this in 10 years so you can tell me how much you miss having a store in a actual building to go to.

Maybe those young kids would be better off learning to run a shovel and wheelbarrow than pushing barcodes across a scanner, but what do I know. Well I have been hiring laborers for 2 decades.
As far as needing help with my shopping I tend to do ok unassisted. Maybe I'm gifted idk. Let's meet back on this in 10 years so you can tell me how much you miss having a store in a actual building to go to.
I agree that kids learn a lot more with a shovel in hand, and I know first hand that there's still some shovel work to be done. Takes all kinds, just like it takes a lot of jobs. There's not enough of any one type of job for everyone to just be shovelling, or for everyone to be plucking keys. And yes, I will be pissed when the brick and mortar store goes away, if it does.

We live in changing times... whether we like the changes or not. At some point automation will take all manual labor jobs, and the technical field won't be far behind. They are already contemplating robotic chefs and medical diagnosis. At what point will robots replace people in all paying jobs... and then where will taxes come from, and how will people pay for goods? Will there be a governmental minimum wage doled out? There are people right now advocating for it. Why isn't robot labor taxed just like human labor, but based on what taxes the replaced humans would have paid?
One thing... if robots replace humans in all labor, money will likely become obsolete.
Who was it that said the only sure thing in life is change?

Well Im getting used to filling my own drink cup, grabbing my napkins and condiments and getting the hang of ordering from the touch screen. But I'm gonna draw the line at cooking my own burger at the fast food joint.
If fence has his way, you'll walk into a Roadhouse, buy your vittles from a nice display, and pay to cook them yourself. After finishing your meal, you'll clean your own table, and leave a tip.

We live in changing times... whether we like the changes or not. At some point automation will take all manual labor jobs, and the technical field won't be far behind. They are already contemplating robotic chefs and medical diagnosis. At what point will robots replace people in all paying jobs... and then where will taxes come from, and how will people pay for goods? Will there be a governmental minimum wage doled out? There are people right now advocating for it. Why isn't robot labor taxed just like human labor, but based on what taxes the replaced humans would have paid?
One thing... if robots replace humans in all labor, money will likely become obsolete.
Who was it that said the only sure thing in life is change?
You can change that world with rocks, copper wire, and slingshots.

If you have a lot of groceries in your cart and use the self checkout, it's best to first go by and get an empty cart before checking out. That little 4 sq ft area beside the self checkout scanner isn't big enough hold but 2 or 3 bags at most and with your cart still 3/4 full of un-scanned groceries, it's a pain to use the self thingie.

Latest posts