Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

No S&H Green stamps?
I had like 20 pages in a booklet filled with S&H stamps when i was a kid, my parents didn't want them and were thrown everywhere...I think i remember sending them in and buying one big gift from the S&H catalog. Wonder why they got rid of them...they were fun and cool, real money!
I had started a little business of cutting any and all coupons i could find...with no intention of using them...at the bottom they say "cash value" 1/10th of a cent (loved those) to 1/30 to 1/50 maybe even 1/100 (hated those) of a cent....i had enough for like 65 cents...before I realized nobody wanted them and I couldn't effectively turn them in to get my 65 cents.

Apparently people here don't want manufacturing jobs, or any jobs for that matter. Just look around, all the companies are hiring and offering good money and very few takers. There is a Lennox factory in Stuttgart,AR, employs around 1400 when fully staffed, they already paid good and have a health clinic on site for free and just gave an additional $3/hour raise and are still begging people to come to work there. I've toured the plant several times, it's not terrible work by any means. My father-in-law retired from there in March, they called him a month later trying to get him to come back to work with that $3/hour raise. He would've if it was closer but he was driving 60 miles one way to work and was burned out on the drive. That's just one example of why stuff is being automated and jobs go overseas. If our government would stop handing out money we might could have more jobs stay here and have a better economy. They need to crack down on people who get disability but really don't need it and all of the other government handouts. I know there are truly people who need them but most are playing the system and us taxpayers.
I don't work in manufacturing, but I do a lot of hauling for a "plant" and the biggest thing I hear plant workers complain about is getting "stuck"

We are at such a labor shortage in so many industries, skilled and unskilled, that a good number of the young people that do work and have any upwards mobility are on the hawk for any way to break into a skilled job so that they can make more money.

You see it all the time, now. Hell, go on YouTube. Even 5 years ago the number of videos and guides on getting into skilled labor and trades were about half the number that they are now, if that. In my current industry, we lose people to the oilfields, heavy haulers, and construction hauling left and right. Why? Because they're only doing basic hauls long enough to get the resume time, so that they can do something better. Hell, I've got a job interview tomorrow for a new outfit that does specialty hauls. It's the pace of the times. I haven't even been in this industry terribly long, and I've already made my 5 year plan to get the most out of it before I do something else. With any luck, by or before the end of that 5 years I'll have set myself up for the next step. That's the other reality, younger people that are "hungry" aren't putting in 10-20 years in the same outfit these days unless they found the best gig with the most long term ROI. Even when you can hire people, keeping them is a nightmare.

Not sure if it falls in the 'hate' category, but definitely frustrating: Trying to spell my last name to someone over the phone. My last name has only 5 letters in it but four of them end with the "E" sound. I didn't think I had a speech impediment but I don't think anyone has ever got all five letters in the first run through so maybe I do. Then when they get it right there is almost always a pause on the line then they say "Oh, just like it sounds!"
Sometimes I just spell it out using the phonetic alphabet but that also seems to confuse many, especially the younger ones.
It gets worse with my email address.

I had like 20 pages in a booklet filled with S&H stamps when i was a kid, my parents didn't want them and were thrown everywhere...I think i remember sending them in and buying one big gift from the S&H catalog. Wonder why they got rid of them...they were fun and cool, real money!
I had started a little business of cutting any and all coupons i could find...with no intention of using them...at the bottom they say "cash value" 1/10th of a cent (loved those) to 1/30 to 1/50 maybe even 1/100 (hated those) of a cent....i had enough for like 65 cents...before I realized nobody wanted them and I couldn't effectively turn them in to get my 65 cents.

The local Brookshire Brothers grocery store gave them out. There was a place in either Bryan or College Station where you could redeem them (this was back in the '60's, maybe into the '70's).

Not sure if it falls in the 'hate' category, but definitely frustrating: Trying to spell my last name to someone over the phone. My last name has only 5 letters in it but four of them end with the "E" sound. I didn't think I had a speech impediment but I don't think anyone has ever got all five letters in the first run through so maybe I do. Then when they get it right there is almost always a pause on the line then they say "Oh, just like it sounds!"
Sometimes I just spell it out using the phonetic alphabet but that also seems to confuse many, especially the younger ones.

Know the feeling well….

My first name has several ways to spell and although my last name is a single syllable of 5 letters it seems it isn't all that easy to process into a spelling.

I remember mom having a stack of Sperry & Hutchinson books. I know she would order things with them but I can't remember what.
I think the cents off product coupons killed the S&H stamps as the payback was immediate.

I remember mom having a stack of Sperry & Hutchinson books. I know she would order things with them but I can't remember what.
I think the cents off product coupons killed the S&H stamps as the payback was immediate.
I remember those stamps. I grew up learning to save, then purchase. Now a lot of younger people grow up
with credit cards and want things immediately.

My mom shopped where they had S&H green stamps and sometimes at the other store that had Triple S blue stamps. She faithfully put them in the books and got several things from the redemption store. I worked for the S&H redemption store when I turned 16 for about a year... Got some nice stuff from there. Some of the gas stations here used to give them also when I was a kid.
Like getting plates and dishes in the detergents... my mom also got a whole place setting for 6 from "DUZ" detergent... dinner, salad plates... some cups and saucers too I think.

Years ago at work, my coworkers had an ongoing list of how people butchered my name, including what came through the company mail. It's not that hard!!!

I had a teacher in high school that you could spell his name forwards or backwards and it was the same. I remember his first statement in class. He said "I am an a$$hole, so you don't have to say it behind my back". He was true to his words.

maybe new hand is just that good Rafter...
Only thing I had to attach to a fel was 5' long pallet forks with pin connections and wasn't too bad.
The thing I disliked most hooking up to a 3pt was was a 6' box blade with scarifiers down, but a 3 pt posthole digger being next worst pain in the butt. I had the ph digger chained upright to a fence crosstie that helped some but still had to pick the yoke up to connect to the center link.

maybe new hand is just that good Rafter...
Only thing I had to attach to a fel was 5' long pallet forks with pin connections and wasn't too bad.
The thing I disliked most hooking up to a 3pt was was a 6' box blade with scarifiers down, but a 3 pt posthole digger being next worst pain in the butt. I had the ph digger chained upright to a fence crosstie that helped some but still had to pick the yoke up to connect to the center link.

I have pallet forks and a bucket for my FEL. Neither are much trouble to hook up.

I back into the tractor shed with my post hole digger, hook a chain to the far end and let the lift down so the chain is holding that end up, then disconnect the pins in the 3-point hitch and lift it out of the way with a block and tackle. I can post a picture this evening if anyone is interested.

Getting it hooked up to the fel is not any problem at all. There's a couple of other issues with it. If ya know, you know...lol

I've never used a spear for moving hay (I've seen round bales from a Vermeer baler pushed all around a field by a man trying to stick a spear in them). I've always used pallet forks to pick them up from the bottom. So I guess I don't know what the issue is with the picture you posted.

I have pallet forks and a bucket for my FEL. Neither are much trouble to hook up.

I back into the tractor shed with my post hole digger, hook a chain to the far end and let the lift down so the chain is holding that end up, then disconnect the pins in the 3-point hitch and lift it out of the way with a block and tackle. I can post a picture this evening if anyone is interested.

I've never used a spear for moving hay (I've seen round bales from a Vermeer baler pushed all around a field by a man trying to stick a spear in them). I've always used pallet forks to pick them up from the bottom. So I guess I don't know what the issue is with the picture you posted.
Mostly if you try to get the bale with a different machine. Especially if you're going to back up and spear it with the truck. If you can't get a bale to spear it's not cause it was baled to tight . It's cause it was rolled to wet.

If you can't get a bale to spear it's not cause it was baled to tight . It's cause it was rolled to wet.

I will respectfully disagree. Those old Vermeer balers like my father and his partner had back in the 1980's wouldn't roll wet or green hay. It would just fluff up in front of the rollers instead of going into the chamber. Besides, they'd been doing it long enough to know when hay was dry enough.

And I may not know much, but I know when grass is dry enough to bale. I grew up in the hay field. I was raking hay seven days a week long all summer, years before I was old enough to get a driver's license.

I will respectfully disagree. Those old Vermeer balers like my father and his partner had back in the 1980's wouldn't roll wet or green hay. It would just fluff up in front of the rollers instead of going into the chamber. Besides, they'd been doing it long enough to know when hay was dry enough.

And I may not know much, but I know when grass is dry enough to bale. I grew up in the hay field. I was raking hay seven days a week long all summer, years before I was old enough to get a driver's license.
I didn't mean any disrespect rafter.
I should have said " usually it's to wet " I guess...my bad.

Latest posts