thick red dischrge from a heavy bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I went to check the cows today and noticed that one of them had a thick red strand of goup coming out of her vagina. I have been around about 15 cows when they are very close to calving and watched them all the way through the calving process. I am used to seeing a clear to greenish mucus plug come out a few days before they calve but have never seen anything red like this. It isn't a whole lot, but enough to get me curious. I have a 45 day calving window beginning on December 16th and going into the end of January. I would have to look at the calendar again to be sure. This particular heifer hasn't made much milk yet and isn't springing as much as the other 2. I took a few pics but by the time I thought to take a picture she had bumped into another and rubbed most of the stuff off. I called a vet and told him about it and he said not to worry too much unless she looked like she was straining or if she was laying down a lot. Has anyone else had this happen or know if I should be worried? I can get her in the chute but would rather not unless it is a must. It really reminded me of an afterbirth placent type thing just slimey and not enough of it to be afterbirth. I don't think she has already calved because she still has a large belly and she was following me around when I walked the feilds double checking for an extra calf. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks

BTW: Remeber the pictures below are after she rubbed up against another at the trough and rubbed the stuff off. But you can kind of see what I saw.

I would go along with your vets assessment. When things start t loosen up back there it's hard to tell if a little apilary or something might rupture. Similar to blood in milk for the first few milkings.

I would agree with your vet and Dun.
If you can do this without undue stress on the animal, watch for movement from the calf or put your hand firmly on her where the calf should be and push hard and quick and hold your hand there and feel for movement.
If you see or feel movement, it's alive and all should be just fine.
If not, get back to us. First time heifer?? AI bred & checked??
Liz

At this point I wouldn't be overly concerned. I have seen this type of thing in my own herd, a reddish type of discharge prior to calving.

Katherine

My cows always have a discharge like that before calving. Sometimes it will range from honey colored to blood tinged. Some of my cows will start this a week ahead of time. Her vulva does not look very loose or swollen yet. (I am an avid vulva watcher myself!) I can usually tell by the looseness and swelling when my cows are close. As others have said, unless you see discomfort or a lot of blood, I would not be concerned. She definitely has not calved from the looks of her vulva.

From the looks of her vulva I'm actually guessing her as being the last one bred. The other two is dropping a little milk and springing pretty good. She hasn't and that's why I got a little worried.

Not from her. Another was oozing a little bit today but it was hardly noticeable and was very clear. They are all doing fine now. I'm hoping they will calve next week. We've got a few days in the 50's and it's supposed to be dryer than it has been.

Cattle producers have, over recent years, become well aware that high levels of sulfur molybdenum and other minerals in a cow's diet can affect her ability to absorb copper.
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2004 ... T345.shtml
That also is a proven fact.
Now this is where we move from fact, to investigation to attempt to answer your questions.
Another proven fact:
Copper Requirements in Cattle Cattle diets should contain about 4-10 parts per million (ppm) of copper, with calves on the lower range and cows at 10 ppm. Less than this amount results in a primary copper deficiency. Primary copper deficiency occurs when the basal diet is low in copper.
This indicates if the animal has an intake to low or to high.

Secondary copper deficiency occurs when there is an interrelationship with other minerals, most commonly sulfur, molybdenum, and iron. Diet and water sources high in S or Mo can interfere with copper uptake.
"intake" in this writing means "absorption" or the lack there of.
Well that's good news!
The only thing I had in the back of my mind when I asked you to check for movement of the calf was the possibility that the calf was not viable, which would account for the unusual looking discharge that could be coming from an attempted abort or absorption fluids.

If you get the chance check to see if you can detect any movement from the calf. I know I would sleep a lot better knowing it was viable if she were mine.
Best of luck
Liz

Latest posts