They Walk Among Us

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenz

Reaction score
They Walk Among Us and Many Work Retail
I was at the checkout of a K-Mart. The clerk rang up $46.64 charge. I Gave her a fifty dollar bill. She gave me back $46.64. I gave the money back to her and told her that she had made a mistake in MY favor.
She became indignant and informed me she was educated and knew what she was doing, and returned the money again. I gave her the Money back same scenario! I departed the store with the $46.64.

I walked into a Starbucks with a buy-one-get- one-free coupon for a Grande Latte. I handed it to the girl and she looked over at a little chalkboard that said "buy one-get-one free." "They're already buy-one- get-one-free, " she said, "so I guess they're both free". She handed me my free Lattes and I walked out the door.

One day I was walking down the beach with some Friends when one of them shouted, "Look at that dead bird!" Someone looked up at the sky and said, "Where?"

While looking at a house, my brother asked the real estate agent which direction was north because, he explained, he didn't want the sun waking him up every morning. She asked, "Does the sun rise in the North?" When my brother explained that the sun rises in the East, and has for sometime, she shook her head and said, "Oh I don't keep up with all that stuff."

I used to work in technical support for a 24/7 call center. One day I got a call from an individual who asked what hours the call center was open. I told him, "The number you dialed is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." He responded, "Is that Eastern or Pacific time?" Wanting to end the call quickly, I said, "Uh, Pacific."

My sister has a life saving tool in her car designed to cut through a seat belt if she gets trapped . She keeps it in the trunk.

My friends and I were on a beer run and noticed that the cases were discounted 10%. Since it was a big party, we bought 2 cases. The cashier multiplied 2 times 10% and gave us a 20% discount.

I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area, so I went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there that my bags never showed up. She smiled and told me not to worry because she was a trained professional and I was in good hands. "Now," she asked me, has your plane arrived yet?"

While working at a pizza parlor I observed a man ordering a small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook asked him if he would like it cut into 4 pieces or 6. He thought about it for some time before responding. "Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry enough to eat 6 pieces."

They Walk Among Us,
and they Reproduce,
and Worst of all
.....they Vote!

My grandpa used to work at Cumberland Falls State Park. He was picking up some trash one day when a lady asked him, "What time do they turn the falls off?" He said he had a hard time keeping a straight face, but politely told her, "Midnight".

I know the walk among us. I was at the Social Security office today. Believe me, they do.

Was at a fast food place the other day and gave the girl my payment. I forget exactly what it was, but let's say $5.14. I handed her six dollars and she quickly punched it in. I found a quarter and handed it to her after the fact. (I don't like to break dollar bills if I have some change.) Anyhoo, she just stood there and stared at the cash drawer. I finally had to tell her what the change was. Bless her heart. I wondered if the tatoos and piercings had somehow affected her thinking skills.

skyline":3gwjhuli said:
Was at a fast food place the other day and gave the girl my payment. I forget exactly what it was, but let's say $5.14. I handed her six dollars and she quickly punched it in. I found a quarter and handed it to her after the fact. (I don't like to break dollar bills if I have some change.) Anyhoo, she just stood there and stared at the cash drawer. I finally had to tell her what the change was. Bless her heart. I wondered if the tatoos and piercings had somehow affected her thinking skills.

Years ago I worked at a hamburger joint and the manager brought a detective in to teach us a con that was going around so we could be aware of it when making change. I forgot exactly how it went but they would hand you a $20 after ringing the total they would then ask for it back and hand you something else. The timing in combination with the method was so good that if you weren't really thinking they would walk out with about $30 bucks. I believe a con artist could use this same trick today and walk out with $100.

Jogeephus":2l3i7ork said:
skyline":2l3i7ork said:

Years ago I worked at a hamburger joint and the manager brought a detective in to teach us a con that was going around so we could be aware of it when making change. I forgot exactly how it went but they would hand you a $20 after ringing the total they would then ask for it back and hand you something else. The timing in combination with the method was so good that if you weren't really thinking they would walk out with about $30 bucks. I believe a con artist could use this same trick today and walk out with $100.

Think man, think. I could sure use that. How did it work? ;-)

Does anyone remember when cashiers counted your change back to you? Most cashiers around here just shove some change back at you. Times have changed. Tom :cboy:

kerley":2f7iwrzx said:
Does anyone remember when cashiers counted your change back to you? Most cashiers around here just shove some change back at you. Times have changed. Tom :cboy:

Yeah, it was good mental exercise. Seems like the computers have made people a bit mentally lazy when it comes to ciphering. ;-)

I am always amazed at the utter confusion among cashiers. Seems that basic math skills are like a foreign language to them.

Yes, they DO walk among us!

The current (and near current) generation does not learn anything in school of any practical value. Of course, those individuals may not be too far up on the Darwin scale also... Have to give the "smart" kids (and 20 somethings) credit, however.

Things that may or may not be taught in school (and definitely not "learned" by the kids:

• 1. How to read a map. Know the 4 directions.
    2. How to do simple arithmetic (forget doing "math").
    3. How to make change (see #2).
    4. Basic weights and measures.
    5. Basic volumes.
    6. Basic geometry (round, square, triangle, rectangle) and how to find the area.
    7. How to read a tape measure (not just "count" the "little" marks on the rule).
    8. Money management skills.
    9. Self-sufficiency skills.
    10. How to work with simple hand tools (and know what each looks like).
    11. How to spell words.
    12. How to drive a vehicle with manual transmission.
    13. How to use a regular telephone.
    14. How to write a paragraph or page intelligently and use decent English.
    15. How to speak over the telephone so that ALL generations (USA) can understand them.

I rest my case... :shock:

My departed grandad could do more figures in his head than me. He had the most rudimentary formal education, but what he had he remembered.

Do they memorize the times tables and the gazintas anymore?

I learned a great deal in "grade" school now called elementary by Rote where you had to do things by repetition until they become second nature and I don't think that young ones today have to do anything like that. I think every generation has had the same problem but now that we are a service economy primarily the retail format is where these gifted ones end up rather than in occupations with less visibility. JMO
But I am going to ask what are gazintas? Is it a regional name or a special project?

The other day I was at the local Dollar General, and the total came to $5.14 (roughly). I handed the cashier a $10 bill, then as she was getting the change ready I realized I had a $1 bill. I tried to hand that to her, as to get back a $5 bill instead of having 5 $1 bills. As soon as I did this she got a deer-in-the-headlights looks then said, "I can't do that, I've been swindled too many times this way."

It took everything I had not to laugh until I got out of the store. It still confuses me on how she can get lost on 1 + 4 = 5

Jalopy":3nsbwts8 said:
I learned a great deal in "grade" school now called elementary by Rote where you had to do things by repetition until they become second nature and I don't think that young ones today have to do anything like that. I think every generation has had the same problem but now that we are a service economy primarily the retail format is where these gifted ones end up rather than in occupations with less visibility. JMO
But I am going to ask what are gazintas? Is it a regional name or a special project?

2 gazinta 2 once
2gazinta4 twice

I remember a 'bit' that Abbot and Costello (I believe it was them) did with the gazinta method. It was 7 gazinta 21, 13 times. The way they did it, it worked. :? :lol: :lol:

Katherine

Kenz":2k6rjpwk said:
They Walk Among Us and Many Work Retail
I was at the checkout of a K-Mart. The clerk rang up $46.64 charge. I Gave her a fifty dollar bill. She gave me back $46.64. I gave the money back to her and told her that she had made a mistake in MY favor.
She became indignant and informed me she was educated and knew what she was doing, and returned the money again. I gave her the Money back same scenario! I departed the store with the $46.64.

I walked into a Starbucks with a buy-one-get- one-free coupon for a Grande Latte. I handed it to the girl and she looked over at a little chalkboard that said "buy one-get-one free." "They're already buy-one- get-one-free, " she said, "so I guess they're both free". She handed me my free Lattes and I walked out the door.

One day I was walking down the beach with some Friends when one of them shouted, "Look at that dead bird!" Someone looked up at the sky and said, "Where?"

While looking at a house, my brother asked the real estate agent which direction was north because, he explained, he didn't want the sun waking him up every morning. She asked, "Does the sun rise in the North?" When my brother explained that the sun rises in the East, and has for sometime, she shook her head and said, "Oh I don't keep up with all that stuff."

I used to work in technical support for a 24/7 call center. One day I got a call from an individual who asked what hours the call center was open. I told him, "The number you dialed is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." He responded, "Is that Eastern or Pacific time?" Wanting to end the call quickly, I said, "Uh, Pacific."

My sister has a life saving tool in her car designed to cut through a seat belt if she gets trapped . She keeps it in the trunk.

My friends and I were on a beer run and noticed that the cases were discounted 10%. Since it was a big party, we bought 2 cases. The cashier multiplied 2 times 10% and gave us a 20% discount.

I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area, so I went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there that my bags never showed up. She smiled and told me not to worry because she was a trained professional and I was in good hands. "Now," she asked me, has your plane arrived yet?"

While working at a pizza parlor I observed a man ordering a small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook asked him if he would like it cut into 4 pieces or 6. He thought about it for some time before responding. "Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry enough to eat 6 pieces."

They Walk Among Us,
and they Reproduce,
and Worst of all
.....they Vote!

....and here's yer sign!

The other day my wife called me and told me she was at wal-mart and her car didn't start. I went over ther and boosted it, then drove it around back to their service center. The guy with dred locks came with the test cart and hooked it to the battery and pushed a few buttons, then told me my battery was'nt good. He started to wheel the cart away and I stopped him and asked him to check the altinater, just incase it was'nt charging. He hooked up the cart, pushed some buttons and told me the altinator was bad too. I just stood there and looked at this "tech"?? and asked him if he always checked altinators without the engine running ? I was thinking of getting them to change the oil, but after that, I GUESS NOT !

Latest posts