They are all dead

Help Support CattleToday:

All I could think when I read this post was *how awful*. I also realize there are alot of evil people out there, who could possibly think up a horrible act. I suppose it could be some accident, but perhaps it is deliberate. :( donna

What an awful thing to happen!

We lost 6 head in one day to arsenic poisoning a few years back, and THAT was hard enough. I can't even imagine losing the whole herd, and watching them without knowing what to do to help is a terrible thing to go through.

Send my prayers as well.

Please send our thoughts and prayers as well. This is our worst nightmare and I don't think anyone can really know how they are feeling unless you have had it happen to you personally. Please keep us posted on the findings.
Double R

Jogeephus":1myye9rz said:
My friend's herd is dead. Began dying Saturday immediately after feeding them some 12% store bought ration. Cows began bloating within an hour of eating the feed and many lay dead by the feed trough. Only thing left standing are the nursing calves. Also, Monday morning when the folks in the white suits came out and quarantined the area they also found a sack full of dead birds laying around the feed trough as well.

I don't want to say to much at this time before the autopsies and pathology work is back out of fairness to all those involved. Suffice it to say this has shattered my friend's dreams and he could definintely use a few prayers. I should know what caused this by the end of the week - probably sooner - but have any of you ever heard of such? Feed was purchased from a reputable company.

This happened to my neighbor, with a batch of springing red/white Holsteins. He ended up losing 8 of 12 and it was the feed from the place where he usually got it from. They had it tested, although I can't remember what was in it that caused it, but the feed supplier had no choice but to pay up for his losses or get sued and face bad publicity.

This surely does sound like a feed issue, bloating, other animals dying from it, I'll be very curious to know what the tests reveal.

Bad for your friend.

GMN

Can you get the name of the feed at all and let us know, I'm sure that quite a few people use a 12%, that is sickening to read he is definitely in our prayers! :frowns:

Caustic Burno":2clc8mwc said:
Is there any way ant poison got mixed in with the feed, Amdro will kill them Black Flag Dead.

Gotta be some kind of poison...maybe poison milo (gopher poison). A disaster for everyone.

I had one of my customers that runs a bunch of stockers have something like this a year ago. Pen of 200, lost about 15. Son-in-law fed then 20 minutes later started swelling up like ticks. They were checking fence so they saw it right away and started moving them to try and get the gas out until the vet got there. Like on your friends deal the only change was a new batch of feed. He called me at 9 that night to tell me that he wouldn't be able to make it to a meeting that we were going to in the morning, so I stoped by as a friend at 6 the next morning. We went through them, there was a couple that were still acting a little punk, but nothing else.

We thought that maybe urea toxicity, but when the results got back nothing. Nothing on feed samples, nothing on rumen juice, nothing on the post, nothing far enough from normal to say this is it. However the feed company did make it right with him.

Bad deal no matter how you cut it though.

That just flat out stinks.

To lose you herd, wow, words can't describe that. Most of the animals I have were the result of AIing, so they feel like they are your project. No sum of money could replace that.

Sounds like a botulism allright.

There was a dairyman in California that lost several hundred head a few years back from baling a cat up in a bale of hay, and grinding it in the feed mix.

MikeC":27xrudcr said:

There was a dairyman in California that lost several hundred head a few years back from baling a cat up in a bale of hay, and grinding it in the feed mix.

Wow,
I wish I had herd about that and I live in ca. Makes me a bit nervous, we grow our own hay and stuff lives in the fields.
Double R

That is unbelievable. I don't know if I would have the energy to start a new herd after that happens! Good luck to him!

Double R Ranch":2gnad1p2 said:
MikeC":2gnad1p2 said:

Wow,
I wish I had herd about that and I live in ca. Makes me a bit nervous, we grow our own hay and stuff lives in the fields.
Double R

Not generally an issue unless you feed a TMR. When the bales are just set out the cows can pick through them, but when the hay is put in a TMR the cows have no choice but to eat everything.

milkmaid":1sldme9e said:
Double R Ranch":1sldme9e said:
MikeC":1sldme9e said:

Wow,
Double R

Not generally an issue unless you feed a TMR. When the bales are just set out the cows can pick through them, but when the hay is put in a TMR the cows have no choice but to eat everything.

Good point!
Double R

Whoa, what a nightmare!! I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. Gives me a shiver just thinking about it.

Let us know how it goes.

Katherine

Wish I could remember more of the details, but something like that happened a few years ago because one of the instructors at Graham School knew a fella that lost his herd........ and it was a big name co (I'm thinking Ralston Purina but that may not be right) paid him very well for each one lost.

Hopefully the feed store is pulling that off the shelf and notifying the company it came from.

The results came back on the feed. Turns out someone put Temik in the feed. There were 66 bags made in the lot of this they cannot account for 6 bags - I'm told. The milling company, FRM, said they do not use Temik anywhere in their facility and do not know how it could have gotten in the feed bags. They are very upset but have told them not to worry they would make everything right as far as the cows go. The USDA, Georgia Dept. of Ag, GBI, FBI and someone mentioned Homeland Security are all looking into this cause they want to find out WHO did this.

All told, they lost 37 nursing cows and 7 nursing cows are now crazy and will probably have to be put down. I'm told they are crazy to the point they will charge through the fence to get you carzy and they were never like that before. Plus a dang good bull.

Maybe they will catch the sumbeech who did this and put him in the pen with the 7 loco's so he can pet them. My prayers go out to the law enforcement cause I want them to catch this sick individual.

Can't imagine how that could have happened by accident. There would be no logical reason to have a pesticide near a feed mill process. And if it was intentional, as it appears, that is one sick individual. Why in the world would someone do that? I sure hope they find him. If he's capable of that, just think what else he's capable of.

Latest posts