They are all dead

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1y0bpu2h said:

I guess history does repeat itself. I think they will catch the person who did this cause not everyone is able to get into a large mill like this and stick something in the feed before the bags are sewn. Plus, people will talk and the conscience has a way of gnawing at one's soul. Pretty sick though.

Well, at least they now know what it was. Those investigators have their work cut out for them tho find out who it was. They now they have a starting point.

I hope they find who did this awful thing.

Katherine

I am just in shock. I can't believe how hateful some people are. Jo , I feel so bad for your friends. I don't think I could ever deal with something like that happening to my cattle.
They are in my thoughts and prayers.

One Ray of Hope is that most all Feed manufacturers have a product liability policy in the event something like this disaster occurs.Still an absolutely terrible situation.

Jogeephus":1fo5fcse said:
The results came back on the feed. Turns out someone put Temik in the feed. There were 66 bags made in the lot of this they cannot account for 6 bags - I'm told. The milling company, FRM, said they do not use Temik anywhere in their facility and do not know how it could have gotten in the feed bags. They are very upset but have told them not to worry they would make everything right as far as the cows go. The USDA, Georgia Dept. of Ag, GBI, FBI and someone mentioned Homeland Security are all looking into this cause they want to find out WHO did this.

All told, they lost 37 nursing cows and 7 nursing cows are now crazy and will probably have to be put down. I'm told they are crazy to the point they will charge through the fence to get you carzy and they were never like that before. Plus a dang good bull.

Maybe they will catch the sumbeech who did this and put him in the pen with the 7 loco's so he can pet them. My prayers go out to the law enforcement cause I want them to catch this sick individual.

Does your friend have any enemies? Sounds like it would have had to been someone who knew the grain was going to his farm, and intentionally wanted to do him harm. Very scary if that is the case. This person should be easy to find, if he worked at the place where the bags were sold.

A very horrible thing.

Gail

Gail, I'm sure he has an enemy here and there but most people like them. They are just good humble folks that will help you any way they can. The mill is located about 100 miles from their farm and the bags were sold to a feed store north of their farm. The father is the one who opened the bags and fed the cows so I don't think anyone could have directed it specifically at them. I'm thinking an employee got chewed out or felt slighted and did this out of meaness since the bags are sewn shut at the mill of course someone could have tainted the raw products when it was delivered to the mill. The mill is huge. They make dog food, bird feed and cow feed. Had this happened a few weeks sooner it would have probably killed some 4-H calves and could have killed a child as well since Temik is some bad bad stuff and you really should use gloves and a respirator when handling it. I once saw a man use Temik to treat pecan trees. He scattered it on the ground under the trees and did not incorporate it in the dirt.(against label) A flock of dove lit and pecked for grit. They never flew off. Its nasty stuff.

From what I was told, the mill sounds like it is run by some good folks as they told them not to worry about the cows. They said they would cover their loss. That impressed me cause I worked for a man several years ago who purchased feed from a big mill with checkerboard packaging who purchased quail feed that was tainted with chicken medication and this killed all his quail. He got nothing cause his expert witnesses were on vacation the day of the trial.

im glad that they found out what chemical it was that killed the cows.id go ahead an put the 7 crazy cows down.i just hope they catch that sorry sucker.that just pure mean an cruel to take a mans livelyhood.because you got angry at someone.

It could have simply been added to some of the ingredients being unloaded at the mill but most likely was added to one batch of feed being mixed. I'd also be checking recently "dismissed and disgruntled" employees which I'm sure they have on their list of things to do.

TexasBred":1sjjasmw said:
It could have simply been added to some of the ingredients being unloaded at the mill but most likely was added to one batch of feed being mixed. I'd also be checking recently "dismissed and disgruntled" employees which I'm sure they have on their list of things to do.

Yep, I think it makes more sense that it was a employee, seeking revenge on the feed mill, rather than Jo's friend, because how would they know where the feed would end up at? Regardless, they knew what it would do, and that down the line someone was going to lose some animals, and they just didn't care, thats what makes this person dangerous.

Aren't some pesticides sold by special permit only?

Gail

Did they find the missing 6 bags? Our mill stamps the date on the feed tag when its made, does this mill do the same thing?

L Weir":1uwopu7l said:
Did they find the missing 6 bags? Our mill stamps the date on the feed tag when its made, does this mill do the same thing?

I don't know. Last I heard they hadn't but there are a lot of inspectors around right now. I know they are collecting the names of everyone who has purchased Temik from every feed and seed place around. It looks like they are taking this really serious cause I've seen a bunch of new state vehicles on the roads I haven't seen before.

Jogeephus,

I am so very sorry to hear of the devastation of your friends' herd and the loss of your good bull.

What kind of mind would delibertly harm innocent animals and people ? Scary ! :shock:

Georgia and the USA will be a safer place when the law enforcement people figure this one out.

Melissa

Jogeephus":1yvr6rfp said:
...but have any of you ever heard of such? Feed was purchased from a reputable company.

Yes, I have. There was a case similar to this that happened in this area a few years back. The initial reports indicated a deliberate case of contaminating the feed with some type of poison, but I never heard whether that was found to be true or not. I am so sorry for your friend - this is something that no one should ever have to deal with. :(

Page 14 of the Waycross Journel Herald has a write up on this today.

"35 Cows Poisoned?"

GBI and Ga Dept of Ag are investigating, farm quarantined, and it states that pesticieds or possibly bad feed could be the answer. Samples of feed and pesticides were taken and two cows were sent to Tifton for testing.

I'll tell you what's really scary.. is that one day some stupid idiot woke up and said "I think I'll poison a bunch of cow feed because I'm pissed off " and thought that was a GOOD decision. That people like that are anywhere is what's really wrong with our society.

Now being reported on Georgia Public Radio.

On this mornings news:

Positively identified Temek as the poisen that killed the cows.

Tested the remaining bags of feed from the farm and found no Temek in them.

GBI and GA Dept. of Ag. officials interviewing and investigating.

There are some pretty sick people out there. Dang Jo it just broke my heart reading all of this, glad the mill is taking resposibility, don't find many like that anymore.
Gail in our state you need to have an applicators liscense to buy certain pesticides and poisons.

Sure hope they catch that person and throw the book at them.

Latest posts