There's a mouse in my house?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Actually there are a whole bunch. What are some good methods to get rid of them besides spending a half hour a day setting up a line of spring traps, or is that the best method still?

cat...
Poison doesn't really work,and the ones that do eat it will find the place to die that will annoy the most~in the wall behind the headboard of the bed comes to mind..
Get rid of all loose food,seal up everything..make sure all water leaks are fixed..starve them out.
Glue traps do work,but then you have the stuck mousie looking at you...

peg4x4":3w0e0ynj said:

I just so happen to know a fella who could fix you up with a few cats or kittens or an assortment if you wish. I'd suggest getting as many as possible since it seems cats tire so easily and require a lot of sleep to get their energy level up to stalking power. ;-)

We use traps and bait. The ones that eat the bait dry out fast and don;t stink much if at all. Stuff like decon works good and we've never had a dead mouse stink the place up.

Get after 'em quick, they can really be destructive. We had to replace a stove because they chewed up wires one time. Went to preheat the oven and the house filed up with smoke. :shock: :x

Jogeephus":3iji7oyy said:
peg4x4":3iji7oyy said:

I just so happen to know a fella who could fix you up with a few cats or kittens or an assortment if you wish. I'd suggest getting as many as possible since it seems cats tire so easily and require a lot of sleep to get their energy level up to stalking power. ;-)
It will take ya a little more effort then that to get rid of your extra kittens.

dun":3bjt0ky7 said:
We use traps and bait. The ones that eat the bait dry out fast and don;t stink much if at all. Stuff like decon works good and we've never had a dead mouse stink the place up.

Just remember, rat/mouse poison is also dog/cat poison, so be careful, it doesn't take much and you have a very sad situation.

redcowsrule33":173fef09 said:
dun":173fef09 said:

Just remember, rat/mouse poison is also dog/cat poison, so be careful, it doesn't take much and you have a very sad situation.
It's also child poison.. Yes,a child will eat some stupid stuff..

Thats' why I have not gone the poison route yet, I have a Irish wolfhound puppy and a cat in the house but I am not sure if they would get poisoned from eating a dead mouse or even if they would eat the dead mouse, I am pretty sure I can place poison where the dog or cat won't get to it.

I lost a really god cat to a poisoned mouse.. You have no control over where a sick mouse will stagger and the puppy or/and the cat will be attracted to the irregular movements.

pegs right don't use poison....cats' have a habit of finding the mice when you can't, I lost a cat to a poisoned mouse, not nice. I am suprised you have mice with a cat and dog, are they in the house? as the mice usually avoid a house with cat smells. I would use traps, but if you don't like that sort of thing, there is plugin devise not sure how affective they are here's a link to them......http://www.electronicpestcontrol.net/
good luck in getting rid of them.
We had one once in our kitchen that had come in through the kitchen door and within seconds I think that mouse wished it hadn't, the two cats and one kitten I had at the time had it covered, no way was that mouse leaving alive, it was funny to watch, the cats were in stalking positions looking at one another as if to say if it comes your way you get it if it comes my way I'll get it, and if it goes the way of the kitten we'll jump it. and the oldest of the cats had it, that bit wasn't so funny.

Thanks for the info. about poisoned mice. I have noticed that cats are generally lazy and ineffective predators at best. There is enough spaces that the mice can hang out at that the cat can't get to. Like Jo stated, they seem to take a lot of energy to get up to stalking power.

It's also child poison.. Yes,a child will eat some stupid stuff

Rodents also have fleas that carry diseases which are a great health risk.

I have a professional pest control service that sprays my house once a month. The first visit was $85 and every one after that is $30. My house is kinda in the woods, and I get all kinds of pest, especially spiders. The pest people are very good at getting rid of what ever problem I have, all I have to do is tell them. I don't have any pets in the house, other than a fish tank, but I sometimes have a problem with ticks or fleas outside, that if not taken care of will soon be inside. They have sprayed a 60ft wide area all the way around the house and it is still included in the monthly charge. Had mice get in the garage and toted off half a bag of dog food (I found it later when I opened a storage cabinet looking for a can of paint), and they took care of them also, no extra charge. I remind them when they come over that I have grandkids and they take special care in what and the way they do things.

You could also hire a Pied Piper.

hayray":qw6umnx9 said:
Thanks for the info. about poisoned mice. I have noticed that cats are generally lazy and ineffective predators at best. There is enough spaces that the mice can hang out at that the cat can't get to. Like Jo stated, they seem to take a lot of energy to get up to stalking power.
I think that seems to all depend on the cat, I have one now, and have had one in the past, that will get and go as soon as she sees something move, I am thinking it is a girl thing, as both mine past/present are shes, as in the feline world it is the female that does the hunting. I noticed both my Toms liked to fight other cats than anything else. and all are neutered.

I had them in the ceiling/attic and used the poison. It worked great, :clap: got every one of them. :clap: The house stunk for the next two months. :mad: :mad: Never again, next time will be traps and the sticky paper stuff. A lesson learned.

I like the sticky traps. I've caught three on one trap before. Seems like the other mice show up to check out the stuck mouse, then they get stuck.

Yep, they will look at you with those beady eyes. But I just remember that these are VERMIN. It is also helpful to remember the Black Death. Makes it real easy to plop the trap, mice and all, into a zip lock bag and throw the whole thing in the trash.

I like the zip lock bag. Stinks less.

And yes, I have "caught" the family dog on a sticky trap... And the family broom.

When they say sticky, they really mean it.

When I was a kid and lived in an old farm house we would entertain ourselfs by shooting mice with a BB gun. It sure was alot of fun we were the cowboys and the mice were the Indians.

My Cat has just come running in proud as punch and wondering why I chased her out, she had a dead mouse in her mouth, found a nest in the garden and she has had the mum so hopefully the babies wont get to be big mice, I hate it but I hate mice more. although saying that, now she knows where it is she will empty it. and look for more. She can have as many as she like as long as she keeps them in the garden.

Latest posts