There's a lot of difference between ....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
a drought year and a wet year. There's also a heck of a lot of difference between a calf and a cow just as there is a huge difference between A cow and some cows.

0323101210b.jpg

Yesterday I was taking a nice leisurely stroll across this beautiful inverted hill. I had gotten about 2 miles from my truck when my phone rang and I heard those dreaded words, "you have a cow out on the highway". Fears of attorneys danced through my head as I envisioned a cow walking down the middle of the road and some nitwit driving a toyota prius hitting it. I make a quick call to a friend and I start to dead head back to my truck which is a good slog from where I stand. As I double time it out of the swamp my phone rings again and there is someone else telling me, "your cows are out on the highway". I say a few choice words as I envision my herd walking down the middle of a state highway so I pick up the pace and just plow through the green briar and brambles and just let them rip through my skin. A few minutes later I get to my truck and head to the wreck site to see if I can't help with the triage or first aid. As I'm barrelling down the road the friend I called arrives at the scene and informs me that its just a calf outside the fence and its standing by its mother who is laying inside the fence. I ask him if he thought there were any fence chargers that came in 220 or 440 volt but he didn't know of any. Miffed, I spent the next two hours putting up a hot wire and being sure it was going to light up any wayward calves. I'm almost done when my phone rings again. This time its the 911 operator informing me that my cows are out. :shock:

kerley":3co6j6nw said:
Joe, That is a big black dog in the photo. Is it yours?
~Tom

Yeah, that's Eli. He was enjoying the swim but I think he loved "the emergency" even better. Not often that he has someone to run beside.

BTW, I neglected to mention I also learned that you shouldn't wear wet clothes or boots when working on an electric fence.:dunce:

Jogeephus,

i know the feeling.

about two years ago I was sitting in my work office which is 18 miles from home. Wife calls from her work and tells me in a panicky voice that the bull is in the road. since she is not at home either I ask her how she knows and she says a policeman just came into where she works and told her.

I go blazing home and a county deputy sherrif who lives near me had found the bull in the road and driven him down my neighbors driveway and sat in the driveway with his cruiser till I got there to deal with the bull.

Section of fence had come unconnected from the hot source and bull finally discovered it as he was picking pears off of a pear tree that overhangs the fence. fence is hot now !!!!

Sam_7_Jan_2010_013.jpg

the come here city folks drive that little country road at about 75 miles per hour each one thinking that it is their own personal speedway.

Jogeephus":zm9bylhv said:
BTW, I neglected to mention I also learned that you shouldn't wear wet clothes or boots when working on an electric fence.:dunce:

I assume you didn't need the meter to test the voltage, huh ???? :) :) :) :)

Nowland Farms":pr1z29j9 said:
Jogeephus":pr1z29j9 said:

:lol2: :lol2: Nope, I was able to figure that one out all by my lonesome. Might say I was enlightened. :D

The calf that keeps getting out looks like its crossed with a goat and a scottish highland. I could argue that its not mine since it looks nothing like any of the other calves. I don't know this but I suspect this calf is a cruel joke mother nature has played on me to make me pay penance for my past sins. Heck, it stands out so I've even named it but for the purpose of the board I might as well just call it "be nice". Why on earth would a calf leave fresh ryegrass pasture to eat weeds along the road side?

Jogeephus":2bizfhor said:
Nowland Farms":2bizfhor said:
Jogeephus":2bizfhor said:

:lol2: :lol2: Nope, I was able to figure that one out all by my lonesome. Might say I was enlightened. :D

The calf that keeps getting out looks like its crossed with a goat and a scottish highland. I could argue that its not mine since it looks nothing like any of the other calves. I don't know this but I suspect this calf is a cruel joke mother nature has played on me to make me pay penance for my past sins. Heck, it stands out so I've even named it but for the purpose of the board I might as well just call it "be nice". Why on earth would a calf leave fresh ryegrass pasture to eat weeds along the road side?

why the answer is obviously adventure and entertainment.
The rest of the herd probably put him up to it.
Just think of the enjoyment they had while quietly laughing at a wet and muddy herdsman all out of breath and apoplectic from exertion, torn and bleeding from hurrying throught the brambles, showing exasperation in attempting to assess how to correct the situation and finally providing dancing and vocal entertainment by inadvertently demonstrating that the fence was adequately charged.

i would have almost paid to watch myself, if I could have done so undetected.

One of those "dispatch" calls came the other day. Someone called in and told them my gates were locked and they couldn't "let the cows back in". A deputy was down there. Asked them to tell me what ear tag numbers were on the cows. Cows did not have numbers. Good thing my gates were locked! That's the whole reason for locking them. Somebody would have put the neighbor's cows in with mine. Drove down there anyway. All angus. Gave them the number of that neighbor.

Good thing the gates all have locks now! Otherwise I'd be pasturing that bunch again.

Lady i work with use to be in the dairy business. Farm and holsteins visible from the road.

they had a neighbor across the road that thought he was in the dairy business.
the neighbors cows would be in the highway all the time.

Deputies would come to my coworkers farm. they would go help round up the neighbors cows.

I warned them to make sure the law knew they were not their cows cause sooner or later one was going to be hit by a car and if there was a record of their cows being out, then they would be liable to law suit and would have to prove a neagative which is tough.

Also if the law has records indicating your cows are out routinely, your insurance company will politley step away from you when trouble arises as well.

If the neighbors cows are out......make darn sure that everyone involved knows plainly and loudly that they are not your cattle.

LazyARanch":3v3q0sg3 said:
I was wondering....

how does pear-fattened beef taste?? :lol2: :lol2:

PEARFECTLY DELICIOUS ! :cowboy:

Actually we sold him a short while later as a breeding bull to one of our commercial customers.

Jogeephus":10wby66g said:

Sorry for this, but it made me laugh alot... :oops:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

rockridgecattle":3nzc694i said:
Jogeephus":3nzc694i said:

Sorry for this, but it made me laugh alot... :oops:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

No problem. I often laugh at myself too. Of course not when 5000 volts are running through my body but later in hindsight its funny. Ever just have a memory and just chuckle and wonder "what was I thinking"?

Jo that is like the time my son looked me straight in the eye and said,"You know Mom they are right, you shouldn't pee on an electric fence." :shock: :lol2:
Asked him what he was thinking. Told me the first time the fence wasn't working, but it was the second time.

I luv herfrds":2gudb7nc said:
Jo that is like the time my son looked me straight in the eye and said,"You know Mom they are right, you shouldn't pee on an electric fence." :shock: :lol2:
Asked him what he was thinking. Told me the first time the fence wasn't working, but it was the second time.

:lol2: :lol2: Stuff like this gets funnier with time. BTW, I don't know too many little boys who haven't done this. I'm no exception. :oops: :lol2:

Ya know.... how come it's only MALES that have that inclination??? :shock:

I don't know ONE female that's ever looked at an electric fence and thought "gee, I wonder how it feels to pee on that?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LazyARanch":34dj0930 said:
Ya know.... how come it's only MALES that have that inclination??? :shock:

I don't know ONE female that's ever looked at an electric fence and thought "gee, I wonder how it feels to pee on that?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Because we can write our name in the snow and you can't. :cowboy:

Latest posts