The "Stand Alone" Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you really think an article on the Angus website is going to say anything other than the way this one reads? It seems like they are trying to pat each other on the back for such a wonderful job they are doing.

novaman":3ot1uxew said:
Do you really think an article on the Angus website is going to say anything other than the way this one reads? It seems like they are trying to pat each other on the back for such a wonderful job they are doing.
its a sorry frog that won't praise it's own pond
:cowboy:

I wonder why less than 2% of CAB is 100% Angus.
Having said that I also beleive the Angus assoc. has done an outstanding job at educating their members in how to raise and breed better beef. They have done a lot for the beef industry as a whole.

novatech":3jl5hpzx said:
I wonder why less than 2% of CAB is 100% Angus.
Having said that I also beleive the Angus assoc. has done an outstanding job at educating their members in how to raise and breed better beef. They have done a lot for the beef industry as a whole.

When it came to marketing their breed it was pure genius. The down side is most every breed has turned into a septic tank of Angus genetics to get a black hide. We are losing some beautiful cattle bred for hundreds of years for specific traits by infusing Angus genetics to get a black hide.

Why on earth would angus say anything other than what that article did? EVERY other breeds advertises how good they cross with angus based cows so why expect anything different from the angus folks?

Jake":1idkkk99 said:
Why on earth would angus say anything other than what that article did? EVERY other breeds advertises how good they cross with angus based cows so why expect anything different from the angus folks?
Ain't it the truth. I don't own angus but have to commend them for the work they've done to promote the breed and everybody has swallowed it.

TexasBred":7zcpal65 said:
Jake":7zcpal65 said:
Ain't it the truth. I don't own angus but have to commend them for the work they've done to promote the breed and everybody has swallowed it.[/quote]

Wait till they start choking.

Is it just me or does 1178 and 1213 lb avg finishing weights seem a little bit light by today's standards (Angus or other major breeds)? Also what exactly were these "other" breeds at the yard. How many Holsteins, Jerseys, Longhorns, and Corrientes get run through the Decatur yards? I am not knocking those breeds; but a straight Angus SHOULD be able to outperform most cattle raised to be milked or roped. Comparing your straightbreds up against everybody else isn't really a scientific comparison if you are selecting who plays for the "other" team. Are we saying that the Charolais guys couldn't assemble a group of calves that couldn't compete with THAT and what does it say that "unknown" cattle were essentially tied with "predominately Angus" in $cwt with only a 76 cent difference between $cwt??? I don't know that I would be advertising that number to my commercial cattle customers if I were the Angus folks. Also the article writes:

"The Association's database shows yearling weight has soared since its 1979 base year (zero) to +82 lb. in 2009. More than 30% of that came in the last decade.

"The Angus people don't think of their cattle as a terminal sire breed, but I do, because Certified Angus Beef and very effective selection for growth rate has put them in that position," Cundiff says.

Bob Weaber, University of Missouri geneticist, says many producers haven't evaluated that trend lately.

"They don't recognize how much Angus has improved to close that gap in growth performance relative to the Continental breeds," Weaber says. "Taken by itself, a change in growth or lactation can be advantageous, but if the perception is different than reality, the cattle may not be managed to their genetic potential."

Larger, higher performing cows likely need more feed than their predecessors, Cundiff adds." "

We use to cross Angus with Simmental, Gelbvieh, Charolais, etc to take some of the frame and high maintenance costs off of the Exotic females while still selling pounds. Now that Angus has the heavy weight cows are we supposed to look for a breed to cross with the Angus to get an easier keeping more moderate commercial cow??? The idea that Angus may be the new terminal sire breed is not something I would be promoting if I were the Angus breed people.

There are a lot of folks looking to put a good Hereford bull on their Angus cows. There must be reasons. I would expect the Angus association, in the interest of its members, to launch a PR campaign to try to divert that trend. They are very good at that.

I just hope the Hereford bull breeders keep the quality up rather than just selling anything with testicles.

jmho. Jim

SRBeef":5ijg07ef said:
There are a lot of folks looking to put a good Hereford bull on their Angus cows. There must be reasons. I would expect the Angus association, in the interest of its members, to launch a PR campaign to try to divert that trend. They are very good at that.

I just hope the Hereford bull breeders keep the quality up rather than just selling anything with testicles.jmho. Jim
well alot of good hereford bulls out there because of that,, they ""cant"" sell anything with testicles like the angus folks have... so most are breeding quailty

Jovid":xpdz2rzc said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":xpdz2rzc said:
I have seen them standing alone in ponds many of a time

And under the shade trees..........

Now that I own some well bred registered Angus cows, I see cows laying down for what it is... efficiency. My angus cows get up, eat, and go lay back down while the Charolais and crossbreds eat... and eat... and eat... The calves from the white cows are a little bigger but not enough to justify the extra feed costs.
And yes, it gets HOT here to. We typically hit one-fifteen at least twice a year with a month of one hundred and the behavior is about the same on most of the cows. The big ones suffer more than the little ones regardless of color.

cow pollinater":15wvqjk5 said:
Jovid":15wvqjk5 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":15wvqjk5 said:
I have seen them standing alone in ponds many of a time

And under the shade trees..........

Now that I own some well bred registered Angus cows, I see cows laying down for what it is... efficiency. My angus cows get up, eat, and go lay back down while the Charolais and crossbreds eat... and eat... and eat... The calves from the white cows are a little bigger but not enough to justify the extra feed costs.
And yes, it gets HOT here to. We typically hit one-fifteen at least twice a year with a month of one hundred and the behavior is about the same on most of the cows. The big ones suffer more than the little ones regardless of color.

Not according to the recent studies......it is the hide color that matters the most :nod:

The Angus people don't think of their cattle as a terminal sire breed, but I do, because Certified Angus Beef and very effective selection for growth rate has put them in that position," Cundiff says.

I feel this says alot about whats happened to the Angus breed and the cow herd has followed.Alot of people have seemed to have figured this out and so the rush is on to market "maternal cattle" around they go agin and it will never end.What a fun game to play if your on top and what a miserable game if your not.

cow pollinater":26kxzows said:

Do you wear black when it's 115 degrees ?

http://www.stockmangrassfarmer.net/cgi- ... cgi?id=570

Latest posts