The Perks to Milking

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Our nurse cow has turned up dry this fall. After raising 6 calves in 2 years I am not terribly upset, plus it will give us a chance to move her up to calve early in the calving season, rather the end of it. Anyways, I have been milking her, figure she is in good shape, she can earn her keep a bit longer.

She is a Holstein, and I am only milking her once a day, most days I get a gallon out of her. About a third of that will be cream, not the thickest stuff I have ever seen, but it is good enough for me. Perfect for hot chocolate ;-) . Last night we made Ice Cream :heart: . And was that ever good. Plus the milk is much better than the store bought stuff is either. And with all this good cream, just imagine the Christmas baking :shock: . And lastly, the extra milk is getting frozen, so hopefully, I won't have to buy any milk replacer if we end up with an orphan this spring.

Holy smokes! Was at the store yesterday and milk was $4.27 for a gallon! I couldn't believe it. I feel like rationing at home. Milk cow would be a good idea, but I grew up milking by hand, don't want to do anymore.

Oh Randiliana,
You are so lucky. I dried up my little Jersey early to give her a chance to grow a bit more since she was bred prematurely.
I agree nothing beats fresh milk. My bread just seems to taste better when I use her milk in my baking.
I saved about 3 bags with about a pint of colostrum in them, just in case.

You gals are starting to make me hungry....
Arteries to clogged to use fresh milk and cream anymore...but do miss the butter and cream.
Its the low fat/no fat these days.
Thanks for sharing
DMc

Latest posts