THE OLDEST GUN YOU OWN ?

Help Support CattleToday:

th_DSC00104.jpg

th_DSC00110_edited.jpg

th_DSC00109.jpg

Inherited these from my dad. He said he picked them up in a pawn shop before I was born. No idea how old they are.

Walt

IMG_0627.jpg

These belonged to my grandparents. The shotgun is made in Belgium for or by the Henry Arms Co. - grandma's favorite. The top one is a 40 cal ? flintlock made by J Henry. Am told J Henry was a gunsmith in Pennsylvania during 1700's and made less than 300 of these but I don't know for sure. Would like to find out more if any of you are up on this type of stuff.

Amazing stuff, Jogee. Guess it took some time to burn that powder, huh?

If them guns could talk..................... Reckon what they'd have to say? ;-)

Here's a "J. Henry" pistol appraised at $5000-$8000.
Rare J. Henry Flintlock Contract Pistol, C. 1807-08

Firearm..54 caliber smoothbore, 9 13/16-inch pin-fastened round barrel without visible markings; barrel made without sights; pointed terminus lock with J. HENRY marking forward of hammer, PHILA vertically to rear; brass mountings; steel with browned finish; walnut stock and brass mounted wood ramrod.
Condition: Fine. Deep brown patina to steel, pitting; mellow patina to brass; replacement hammer and ramrod; stock with nicks, wear; light cracks by sideplate; stock shortened at muzzle due to split, which has been partially repaired.
Provenance: Dr. James LucieJohnie Bassett
Estimate: $5000 - $8000

Rogers and Spencer cap and ball pistol, probably a 44 caliber, from about the civil war era. Looks a lot like the old navy colt.........

I have my dad's old W.P. Wonder 12 ga single shot shotgun. What little research I did on it revealed that it was made sometime between 1895 and 1910 at an original cost around $8. or so.

Hasn't been shot in 60 years, and never will be again.

The WW2 era guns fascinate me. They were built for the worst conditions and proved themselves. I have an Enfield, Mosin-Nagant, and a Mauser with the Swasticka stamped on it. As far as pistols go I only have the Makarov. Maybe some day I'll get a Garand.

Walt

I've got my grandfather's WWI military issue rifle (it's a heckova deer rifle). I also have my Great-grandfather's single shot 12 ga. I don't really know how old it is, but my grandfather was born in 1899, so I know it's quite old.

I have a S&W lemon squeezer that shoots a 32 colt. Late 1800's I guess. Maybe early 1900's. I could go look at the date I guess.

My oldest is an 1894 model Mauser long rifle made for Argentina. Good long distance gun. I picked it up at a gun store in NC for $95 back in the 90s.

I have a Spencer slide-action 12 ga. shotgun w/brass shell casings and uses black powder. Also have a Washington Arms
12 ga. double barrel. Both date back to the late 1800's or the
early 1900's

I collect antique rifles...my oldest (that I know the date of) is a springfield 1873 cadet 45-70...I also have a rifle that my grandaddy passed down to me before he passed out...it's a ol' percussion kentucky fullstock made by Andrew Kopp...i'm not sure how old it is (all I know is it is pre-1899), but I had a man offer me $15,000 for it one time though...but there's just some things you can't sell

I have a 38 cal revolver from the Royal Air Force.
I got it from an old friend who was an American World War II vet.
He got if from a dead German soldier.
we can only speculate where he got it from.

Caustic Burno":171imxva said:
Got a Model 1897 Win 12 that was made in 1901 and a Model 11 UMC Remington made in 1910 still hunting with both.
That old 97 has hundreds of deer credited to it.
Have Pa's old LC Smith made lat 1800's. I have quite a few made in the 20's.

got me the same 12 ga. bout worn out. newer guns to hunt with but it hangs over the woodstove cuz its ''purty''

Single shot .22. Not sure what year, but do know the original owner bought it on credit and walked all over the county shooting coons, skunks, foxes and coyotes. 1930's
When he went off to WWII he sold the gun to my father in law for $5. He had craved his intials into the stock of the gun. His relatives keep asking if we would sell them the gun, but my son is learning to shoot with it.
The previous owner landed on D-Day and had a bullet cut a notch in his ear. He did make it home from the war. Never asked to buy the gun back.

we rebuilt our barn this year and I found a F and W, 6 shot revolver, hidden behind one of the beams. I did some research it and it was made in 1896. Still in good condtion to just a little surface rust on the end of the barrel.

Latest posts