THE OLDEST GUN YOU OWN ?

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_0700.jpg

I guess this old 30/30 is the oldest I own,a 1951 model..........good luck

I use the old model 37 winchester single shot shotguns for turkey shoots. The 37 winchesters were made from 1937 to 1964. The model 37 redletters were made in 1937. I have two of them.

I've got my Great Grandaddy's LC Smith double barrell goose gun with damascus barrells 32 inches long, both full choke. The age on that gun is heresay 1890's and I have never fully checked it out based on serial number. No need to do so. I won't sell it and I won't shoot it and I don't need it appraised. It will get passed on to my heirs.

Got some pre-64 Winchesters I picked up at various sales through the years.

Got a bolt action 22 rifle that cost $2.35 brand new in the 30's and I have the receipt from when my grandaddy bought it.

Oldest owned a 1880 single shot shotgun damascus barrel russian made came over with great great grand father when he immigrated to canada. When i was a kid my father bought me a rossi .22 cal pump made in SA, I have no idea of age.

Got a Model 1897 Win 12 that was made in 1901 and a Model 11 UMC Remington made in 1910 still hunting with both.
That old 97 has hundreds of deer credited to it.
Have Pa's old LC Smith made lat 1800's. I have quite a few made in the 20's.

Double barrel 12 made by the Belguim Royal Gunworks. Gooseneck hammers straight stock and a steel buttplate. It was my granddaddys and I have no idea how old it is.Z

1922 winchester 22, grandfather bought it when he was 12 after throwing hay all summer,

Has less then a box of 22 shells through it.. Even though it shot every animal they ever butchered ... :)

P.s.. I still have the original box and store ticket.. :)

Anyone Playing with the new Thompson Gun ? the Pro Center..

I would love to know what other people think about it also!!

Near as I can tell, this is a 1860's Henry Rifle.

I found it in the badlands in MT. The gun has the hammer back and a live round in the chamber. I also found a gold ring and a empty cartridge laying near the rifle. There's a story here.

P1010050.jpg

I collect old guns and have many. I bought one recently from a guy who didn't know what he had. It is an 1896 Spanish. It was originally a long gun but was cut short to make carbines for the calvary in the Spanish Am. war. When I got it home I carefully removed to butt plate and it was full of horse hair. I slowly put it back and sent it to the case. He was asking $25. I gave him $50 because I felt so bad. He thought I was crazy!

Horticattleman":2dywead1 said:
I collect old guns and have many. I bought one recently from a guy who didn't know what he had. It is an 1896 Spanish. It was originally a long gun but was cut short to make carbines for the calvary in the Spanish Am. war. When I got it home I carefully removed to butt plate and it was full of horse hair. I slowly put it back and sent it to the case. He was asking $25. I gave him $50 because I felt so bad. He thought I was crazy!

I collect old Winchester ,Remington and Browning shotguns also.

HAY MAKER":185p4fha said:
I got a model 12 in 16 gauge like new,always wanted a model 97................good luck

Got quite a few Mod12's a couple of 97's that are in near mint condition. 16 gauge has always been my gauge of choice.

Being that gun is old and wore out if I can pick up enough aluminamum cans would you take 25 bucks for it. ;-)

My grandfather has an old 97 thumbbuster. He got it from his dad when he was 7 or so. He's getting on 90 and doesn't hunt but a few times a year but still uses it. Has electrical tape on the fore-end and has to wedge the shell in with a stick he carved probably 30 years ago, but she still shoots. I would bet my life that old gun has knocked down 20,000+ ducks in her lifetime. Easy.

Caustic Burno":1kchwgmr said:
HAY MAKER":1kchwgmr said:
I got a model 12 in 16 gauge like new,always wanted a model 97................good luck

Got quite a few Mod12's a couple of 97's that are in near mint condition. 16 gauge has always been my gauge of choice.

Being that gun is old and wore out if I can pick up enough aluminamum cans would you take 25 bucks for it. ;-)

That ole gun and me are gonna do some serious dove hunting someday,soon as I figger out I aint gonna get rich in the cattle buisness :D ....................good luck

I have a Colt Peace Maker with ivory grips that belonged to a great uncle. My brother sent the serial number back to Colt and they told him the month and year it was made. I can't remember the date off the top of my head but it was in the 1870's. They said it was shipped it to a hardware store in Kansas.
A little newer I have a Winchester model 64 30-30 that my dad bought new in 1939. He shot a lot of deer with that rifle. My brother and I both shot our first deer with it. Occasionally I think about taking it out again for old time sake.

Latest posts