The Old time Red Cake Recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
My mom used to make what she called the Waldorf Astoria red cake.... the frosting was fabulous! I don't have her recipes and sure would like to find it. She cooked up "something" then let it cool then whipped sugar and butter I think into it? The cooked stuff looked like paste! Best frosting ever.

Here you go ladies. the frosting recipe is first:

FROSTING FOR WALDORF ASTORIA RED CAKE

5 tbsp. cake flour
1/2 c. cold milk
Dash salt

Mix well and cook slowly.

1 c. very fine granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
2 tsp. vanilla

Combine first 3 ingredients. Cook slowly stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
Beat butter, sugar, vanilla and shortening until very smooth and fluffy and sugar has dissolved. Beat quite a while. Mixture will look almost like whipped cream. Add cooled paste and beat until smooth.

Cake
WALDORF ASTORIA CAKE

1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 (1 oz.) bottles red food coloring
2 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. vinegar

Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs. Make paste of cocoa and small amount of food coloring. Add to creamed mixture. Add remainder of food coloring. Add buttermilk, salt, flour and baking powder alternately. Add vanilla, vinegar and baking soda. Mix well. Pour into 8 inch layer pans (greased and floured). Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

That is it!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! :tiphat: :wave:
Mom used to make homemade cream puffs and she would put that frosting into the puffs!!