The New Vegas Strip Steak

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Just heard about this on CBS news.

http://vegasstripsteak.com/site/

This steak is tender, flavorful and compares to a NY Strip. The Ranchers Club – Stillwater, OK offers it in several of its menu items ranging from a flatbread artesian pizza, a garden fresh salad, and as an entrée – grilled to perfection.The Vegas Strip Steak isn't the only new thing happening at the Rancher's Club this summer. General Manager of Food & Beverage Service, Naveen Kodadhala, says the Rancher's Club is ready and able to entertain you and your guests with new menus, new services, new features and fun events.

http://beefmagazine.com/retail/oklahoma ... es-forward

he muscle used in the steak isn't new, Nelson says — it's always been there on the animal's shoulder. But the beef industry hasn't generally considered it worthy to be sold as a steak, Nelson says. Instead, meat from that area has generally been ground for hamburger or sold as stew meat.

I don't know which is worse, that a university has patented a cut of muscle that has always been there, or that they named it "Vegas Strip". There has to be a story behind that and I'm sure that Sports Illustrated will be more than ready to get to the bottom of it.

I don't know what to think about that either. I did buy a chuck eye steak the other day that was so good I'm having another one for breakfast. :)

Kingfisher":mddm00pn said:
I don't know what to think about that either. I did buy a chuck eye steak the other day that was so good I'm having another one for breakfast. :)
Chuck eye has always been a crap shoot with me. Get 2 that look just alike, one will be great and the other 100% the other way--tough and tasteless.

I'll have to see if my butcher can find that steak . H e keeps up with all the changes customers might want. Me I want every steak I can get out of an animal . :banana:

A lot of the effort to identify and promote use of these new cuts comes from our Beef checkoff dollars.

Over the last twenty five to thirty years American family sizes have become smaller and extended families have dispersed geographically. Fewer families have stay at home moms. This impacts beef because there's less call for those large rougher cuts and more call for plain ol' hamburger. A lot of those roasts are being cut smaller and a lot are going into hamburger. Because there are high quality, tender and flavorful smaller muscles incorporated in those round and shoulder cuts some processors are taking those cuts prior to making the hamburger and selling those new cuts at a higher value than hamburger or the original roasts.

It's a good turn, make that a great turn, for those of us in the beef industry because it makes the beef we sell more valuable and it gives the consumer a mid price choice between steak and hamburger.

A few years ago I ran into a 'tri-shoulder' roast which was about 12 oz, roundish and tapering off at one end. Looked reasonable and the cost was favorable. That was one of these initial efforts. Grilled that meat and have to say that was one heck of a piece of meat. Use to get those quite often in St. Louis but haven't found any since I came to Southern Illinois.

Latest posts