The Neighbour's Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how this
DSC03220.jpg

can go through (or over) a 4 wire barbed wire fence, and not leave any evidence that he did?? ;-) And also, how the neighbour that actually lives there does not know he is missing??

We went up to our pasture to check on the cows and make sure our bulls were behaving yesterday. Found all our boys where they belonged, 1 stretched wire (on a different pasture), and several new "bull holes". I think they were trying for China :shock: . And we also found this guy. Had he been in with the black cows and not the red cows we may even have overlooked him, but he kinda sticks out among the reds and he sure doesn't look like the hereford bull;-) :p .

Anyways, everyone looks pretty good up there, and the neighbour can find out for himself that his bull is missing (he's kind of a odd fellow) as it is easier than arguing with him over the phone about who's fault it is that his bull is out. And OUR bulls are behaving. They seem to remember the "shock" from the electric fence they were in at home.

He is actually not too bad a looking bull so at least if we get a few calves from him they should look pretty nice.

How tall is your fence? The reason I ask is the other day I was running my cattle through a chute that I just built to make sure the cattle could get through ok and that there were no obvious escape routes for them. While I was holding up a few of the cattle in the chute one of my cows (a 900lb heifer) decided she didn't want any part of that action and decided to jump over our corral fence. The fence is about 5 feet tall and she had no problems clearing it. If I hadn't seen it for myself I would never have believed it.

if i was a betting man.id say the bullflat footed jumped your fence.hence the reason for no loose or down wires.had a hereford bull in a 10 by 10 pen.an that sucker flat foot jumped the board fence without knocking a board off.put him in that pen twice fore we knew he was jumping out twice.

Last year we had a yearling bull get out and he jumped a five foot tall wood fence with no problems. That's one of those things you have to see to believe.

the first beefmaster bull we had (the one that got struck by lightning with 12 cows) could clear any fence that he wanted to flatfooted. he had a thing for honeysuckles.

are you sure that bull hasnt been to visit before?

Beefy":25s93oa4 said:
the first beefmaster bull we had (the one that got struck by lightning with 12 cows) could clear any fence that he wanted to flatfooted. he had a thing for honeysuckles.

are you sure that bull hasnt been to visit before?

Well, not before this summer. You are talking about the blaze faced calves in the other post? Those are sired by one of our bulls. This guy wasn't in the neighbours pasture last year. He rents it out, and I believe he must have had someone different there last year.

There is another good reason to make sure your cows are vaccinated. Nothing like a neighbour who either doesn't vaccinate, or who rents pasture out to whomever comes by.....

When I worked for the local stockyards at one time, I had a heck of a time with an long-yearling steer one night. He could clear a 5 foot gate (thats how he got out of his pen), struggle over a 6 foot one and get his front feet on top of a 7 foot gate. Kept him in the sales ring to stop his jumping around (8 foot high sides)....not that he didn't try to clear those as well. :shock: :lol: :roll:

Aaron":2mjykzpx said:
When I worked for the local stockyards at one time, I had a heck of a time with an long-yearling steer one night. He could clear a 5 foot gate (thats how he got out of his pen), struggle over a 6 foot one and get his front feet on top of a 7 foot gate. Kept him in the sales ring to stop his jumping around (8 foot high sides)....not that he didn't try to clear those as well. :shock: :lol: :roll:

I work for the local stockyards here. We had a couple longhorn cows brought in one fall for a sale. Longhorns aren't all that common around here, so I noticed the next morning that only 1 of those 2 cows was still in the pen that they had been in the night before. I figured that they must have been fighting and someone had moved the other cow. When I mentioned that only 1 cow was in that pen however, no one had moved the other. She had cleared a 5 1/2 foot fence and had taken off (probably the reason she was there) A local rancher found her a week or so later in with a bunch of his cows, about 10-15 miles away. He bought her from the stockyards and the original owner got insurance on her.

Our neighboring bull is a corriente and he's been peppered with birdshot twice. GAWD, I'll be glad when he get's the message 'cause it doesn't look like the owner is. :(

Alice

Watched a 2000+lb Hereford bull jump a 52" fence from a standing start. Raised up like he was mounting a cow, lunged forward and kicked his back end in the air. That was about two minutes after I'd gotten him out of the heifers. Decided the heck with it and let him breed them. Can't fault a bull for being dedicated to his job.

randiliana":do01efhm said:

can go through (or over) a 4 wire barbed wire fence, and not leave any evidence that he did?? ;-) And also, how the neighbour that actually lives there does not know he is missing??

I've seen bulls jump a 4 wire fence with no problems whatsoever. As to the owner - I suspect you know why. ;-)

randiliana":2na2j8ux said:
DSC03220.jpg

We went up to our pasture to check on the cows and make sure our bulls were behaving yesterday. Found all our boys where they belonged, 1 stretched wire (on a different pasture), and several new "bull holes". I think they were trying for China :shock: . And we also found this guy. Had he been in with the black cows and not the red cows we may even have overlooked him, but he kinda sticks out among the reds and he sure doesn't look like the hereford bull;-) :p .

Anyways, everyone looks pretty good up there, and the neighbour can find out for himself that his bull is missing (he's kind of a odd fellow) as it is easier than arguing with him over the phone about who's fault it is that his bull is out. And OUR bulls are behaving. They seem to remember the "shock" from the electric fence they were in at home.

He is actually not too bad a looking bull so at least if we get a few calves from him they should look pretty nice.

I think he might be related to the Black Simm-Angus bull I used to have. I think his motto was 'No Fence Too High...'. I had to get rid of most of the heifers I kept off him because they had the same problem. Maybe a bit of kangaroo back in the genetics somewhere.

Latest posts