The most dangerous breed of bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks to me like he was just looking for a little love... they should have castrated him if they wanted him as a pet so he wouldn't have the make baby hormones

************* said:
I've found it's easier to lead cattle rather than to force them from behind.
It's not as macho, you won't look like the Marlboro man, but it's a lot more relaxing and quiet, and the animals seem to like it as well.

I can just picture you out in the forests here smashing through the brush dragging your bucket along behind with one hand, swatting mosquitoes with the other, and wondering what direction the gate is, how many miles to it, and where the he!! all those cattle went :lol2: :lol2:

Silver said:
************* said:
It's not as macho, you won't look like the Marlboro man, but it's a lot more relaxing and quiet, and the animals seem to like it as well.

I can just picture you out in the forests here smashing through the brush dragging your bucket along behind with one hand, swatting mosquitoes with the other, and wondering what direction the gate is, how many miles to it, and where the he!! all those cattle went :lol2: :lol2:
haha.. you know, when they're used to a bucket and who you are, you dont' need to go looking for them.. For mine, you just call out Moogy Moogy Moogy and you have yourself your stampede

Silver said:
************* said:

I can picture him sucking air as he finally crawls to the top of a ridge. Spotting cattle on the other side of the next canyon. Waving his bucket and hollering at them. Wondering why they are either ignoring him or running the other way.

Dave said:
Silver said:
************* said:

I can picture him sucking air as he finally crawls to the top of a ridge. Spotting cattle on the other side of the next canyon. Waving his bucket and hollering at them. Wondering why they are either ignoring him or running the other way.
he wouldn't have to look that hard. His cattle would all roll to the lowest spot! :hide: :lol:

Haha! You guys are real comedians!

I saw this video and for a moment I thought it might be y'all working cattle.

http://bit.ly/2HvBkwD

************* said:

Neat vid.. some rough country there

Here's how I move mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayjj57xJquE

************* said:
Roll your eyes all you want, but the only crazy bulls I have seen are the one's where the owner uses a steel pipe across the face to persuade them instead of a few pounds of grain in a bucket.

Say what you want, but my money says that bull was treated poorly.

Take a look at this video of SAV President, and tell me that this bull has ever been mistreated or mishandled? You will never see him sprawled across the hood of an SUV.

http://bit.ly/2UyhVPs

You need to get off the farm, man. Spanish fighting bulls will HUNT you down. If you go in the field with them, it is law that the owner can shoot you to kill. No one touches those bulls until they go in the ring.

Rodeo bulls are bred to be hot.

I've been almost run over by a 15 M/O Angus x LH bull. The only mistreatment he got was being pet and grained. He could lead with a grain bucket. That night he was not having it for some reason.

And, for the love of God, stop licking the SAV bootheels. It's starting to not look good on you.

I do agree that jersey bulls are probably more likely to be dangerous do to the way they are raised (bottle fed) and the high strung playful nature of jerseys. Every bull and every cow can be dangerous and could kill you. However, most animals do threaten before they attack. I think many people just don't recognize the threats. I've raised horses for 50 years and trained racehorses for about 25. I cannot tell you the number of times a horse will be practically begging someone to get out of their space by pinning ears, shaking tail, stepping around, lifting legs, ECT and a person will be standing there oblivious to these warnings. Then when they get kicked or bitten they say it came out of nowhere. Bulls threaten in less obvious ways. They speak cow. You need to learn to speak or stay out if the pasture. My current young bull is a year old now. Very laid back. He was bottle fed a few weeks but then raised in the pasture for 7 months on a cow. He has been halter broke so we can work him. He isn't too scared of me but enough that he is very respectful. He is currently in with our show steer until June when I put him with the cows. The show steer is taken out every day. The bull isn't. A few months ago we debated about which one to castrate and which to keep as the bull. The bull looked better and had a better growth rate so he stayed a bull and the other became the show steer. Now I can see we made a good choice as the steer is really a bit if an asshat now that he is on a lot of feed. The bull is still very quiet. Right now you are way more likely to get run over by the steer. He would have become dangerous as a bull very quickly. The other day my daughter went to lead the steer out of the pen and the bull bashed the steer in the butt. My daughter kicked the bull in the side so hard it almost knocked him to the ground. When she put the steer back the bull backed away from her when she came in the pen. He knows she is the boss cow. We hope to keep the bull a few years. The day he starts showing any aggression to people he will move to the freezer.

Yes, everybody should learn animal body language. I'm sure those people, who were attacked by freshly calved cows, should have seen clear signs from the cow, that she wasn't bluffing.
Some our cows sometimes would stand in a "threatening" pose (standing sideways, back legs moved more under the body, head lowered abit, etc) when I'd be walking towards them and some even showed voice, but all the times they were just bluffing. Maybe it's their way to greet me sometimes, but it never been a real threat.
Never had trouble with herd bulls, but had a couple unpredictable young bulls. All are treated equally, but there sometimes appears those who are scared of the closer contact with people and it becomes are true problem when they get more self confident in time or they are cornered, which happens when you try to load them into the trailer for selling.
So far only had two bulls, which were kept in the herd for more than one year and they reached maturity. One was extremely calm, never showed any sign of a possible danger in the future. One year had a cow, which needed to be milked and of course one day she went in heat. The bull was standing next to her and bigger problem was to make the cow stand still than the bull himself.
The second bull also was calm, but I'm sure he would have been more easily provoked than the first one. He had a bit more lively personally. Never threatened us, but just I had such feeling.
What have noticed is that heavier fed bulls are much calmer and more lazy. At that time, when the amount of meal for one bull goes up to 15-20lbs/day, they become so lazy that it's even hard to move them to the next pasture.
Have two neighbours, which raise dairy bulls. Both had accidents when those bulls attacked. And in general, dairy bulls are way more active. Every summer every day pass by their pastures and most of the time they are fighting, riding on each other... While for me it's sometimes hard to bring our bulls to the meal, because they just lie somewhere in their favorite spot and don't pay any attention to my calling.
Definitely, when animal is cornered or it feels the threat most will fight back. That's just natural, and even the most calm animal will attack in a certain situation, so it depends from what that animal considers a threat.
Such thing like hierarchy is an important thing too, especially since it's very important thing for cows. It could be somewhat compared with dogs, when the owner doesn't notice or lets it slide when an animal shows of testing the rank and then later people are very surprised how their angel dog has turned into a biting monster. Have seen that happen in very close environment. It's harder when cattle see the owner once a week, or even less often, but when you visit them everyday, you are able to control them more, learn their individual characteristics, learn their body language and notice little changes.

Bestoutwest said:
************* said:
Roll your eyes all you want, but the only crazy bulls I have seen are the one's where the owner uses a steel pipe across the face to persuade them instead of a few pounds of grain in a bucket.

Say what you want, but my money says that bull was treated poorly.

Take a look at this video of SAV President, and tell me that this bull has ever been mistreated or mishandled? You will never see him sprawled across the hood of an SUV.

http://bit.ly/2UyhVPs

You need to get off the farm, man. Spanish fighting bulls will HUNT you down. If you go in the field with them, it is law that the owner can shoot you to kill. No one touches those bulls until they go in the ring.

Rodeo bulls are bred to be hot.

I've been almost run over by a 15 M/O Angus x LH bull. The only mistreatment he got was being pet and grained. He could lead with a grain bucket. That night he was not having it for some reason.

And, for the love of God, stop licking the SAV bootheels. It's starting to not look good on you.

Didn't you see what I just posted, a Titus calf? Had nothing to do with the other prefix

Nesikep said:
************* said:

Neat vid.. some rough country there

Here's how I move mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayjj57xJquE

Like a BOSS! I really liked that video.

darcelina4 said:
I do agree that jersey bulls are probably more likely to be dangerous do to the way they are raised (bottle fed) and the high strung playful nature of jerseys. Every bull and every cow can be dangerous and could kill you. However, most animals do threaten before they attack. I think many people just don't recognize the threats. I've raised horses for 50 years and trained racehorses for about 25. I cannot tell you the number of times a horse will be practically begging someone to get out of their space by pinning ears, shaking tail, stepping around, lifting legs, ECT and a person will be standing there oblivious to these warnings. Then when they get kicked or bitten they say it came out of nowhere. Bulls threaten in less obvious ways. They speak cow. You need to learn to speak or stay out if the pasture. My current young bull is a year old now. Very laid back. He was bottle fed a few weeks but then raised in the pasture for 7 months on a cow. He has been halter broke so we can work him. He isn't too scared of me but enough that he is very respectful. He is currently in with our show steer until June when I put him with the cows. The show steer is taken out every day. The bull isn't. A few months ago we debated about which one to castrate and which to keep as the bull. The bull looked better and had a better growth rate so he stayed a bull and the other became the show steer. Now I can see we made a good choice as the steer is really a bit if an asshat now that he is on a lot of feed. The bull is still very quiet. Right now you are way more likely to get run over by the steer. He would have become dangerous as a bull very quickly. The other day my daughter went to lead the steer out of the pen and the bull bashed the steer in the butt. My daughter kicked the bull in the side so hard it almost knocked him to the ground. When she put the steer back the bull backed away from her when she came in the pen. He knows she is the boss cow. We hope to keep the bull a few years. The day he starts showing any aggression to people he will move to the freezer.
Agreed.. People are OBLIVIOUS to their surroundings a lot of the time.

Once I dropped off a longhorn bull and a few steers at the sale barn, they were in the staging area while things got cleared.. bull was all calm, I think he was chewing cud.
Now there were some people who wanted to get by, so they jumped the panels and went into the next pen where there were two VERY MAD Angus cows.. I swear I nearly saw 3 people get smashed in the course of 5-10 minutes.. and they didn't even see what happened!
This happening at a sale barn I'd ASSume that most of these people would have had at least a bit of cow sense to them and been alert.. it's definitely not like those two cows had a switch that flipped and they went from docile to mean.. they were mad from the get go!.. They weren't any better in the ring and nearly climbed into the auctioneers lap

I call "come boss, come boss" - just be ready to move if you're with me! don't need a bucket of grain. They know they are going to get a treat - new pasture. I have a Blue Heeler, but RARELY "push" cows, so he doesn't get to work.

Are dairy breed bulls inherently more dangerous than beef breeds? I'm not sure... Would they be that bad if they were raised on their dams, out in the pasture - like our beef bulls? IDK.
But... they're not. They're removed from dam on Day One, hand-reared by humans, so they have little fear/respect of us, and are often kept isolated from other cattle - except maybe other young bulls - and only have exposure to humans, which, once they reach maturity and the testosterone begins surging, they regard as rivals/challengers. No person is a match for 800-2400 pounds of furious, testosterone-fueled bone and muscle.
We see similar dangerous behavior in hand-reared llamas - referred to as 'berserk male syndrome' - and in hand-reared stallions. They're TOO familiar with humans, and have no fear/respect of them... regarding them as rivals or herdmates to be subjugated.
The Spanish/Mexican fighting bulls (de Lidia) are selectively bred for aggressiveness - even the females have selection pressure placed upon them for the propensity to fight rather than run away. Docility has not been purposely selected for in breeding dairy cattle for many years... milk &/or component production is the goal... and generally, dairy cows are not so aggressively dangerous as the bulls.
Availability of AI has greatly diminished the incidence of dairy farmer deaths, at least on this continent, from encounters with bulls... but it still happens far too frequently.

Lucky_P said:
Are dairy breed bulls inherently more dangerous than beef breeds? I'm not sure... Would they be that bad if they were raised on their dams, out in the pasture - like our beef bulls? IDK.
But... they're not. They're removed from dam on Day One, hand-reared by humans, so they have little fear/respect of us, and are often kept isolated from other cattle - except maybe other young bulls - and only have exposure to humans, which, once they reach maturity and the testosterone begins surging, they regard as rivals/challengers. No person is a match for 800-2400 pounds of furious, testosterone-fueled bone and muscle.
We see similar dangerous behavior in hand-reared llamas - referred to as 'berserk male syndrome' - and in hand-reared stallions. They're TOO familiar with humans, and have no fear/respect of them... regarding them as rivals or herdmates to be subjugated.
The Spanish/Mexican fighting bulls (de Lidia) are selectively bred for aggressiveness - even the females have selection pressure placed upon them for the propensity to fight rather than run away. Docility has not been purposely selected for in breeding dairy cattle for many years... milk &/or component production is the goal... and generally, dairy cows are not so aggressively dangerous as the bulls.
Availability of AI has greatly diminished the incidence of dairy farmer deaths, at least on this continent, from encounters with bulls... but it still happens far too frequently.
Oddly, the miniature jersey bulls are pretty calm compared to the standard sized jersey bulls....but most miniature jersey cattle are treated like beef cattle, not dairy cattle and many mini jersey bulls are dam raised opposed to bottle fed.

I raised a red poll bull from 2 weeks old on a bottle after his mother died. He was the quietest animal i ever had. One day when my daughter was three i was moving them around and the wind blew a bucket under him, my daughter took off and ran under him to get the bucket, she got it and came out the other side. I nearly died, happened so quickly and he hadn't been around children before. All the bull did was lift one leg to give her room to get the bucket. I know red polls are reknowned for their temperament but i had a mate attacked by one and got messed up pretty badly, broke most of his ribs.

Latest posts