The most dangerous breed of bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

I feel our bulls are fairly tame, but I'm not going to touch or play with them. Anyone that thinks it's ok or fun to play with their bulls is risking life and limb. A bull can hurt or kill you just by accident.

True Grit Farms said:
I feel our bulls are fairly tame, but I'm not going to touch or play with them. Anyone that thinks it's ok or fun to play with their bulls is risking life and limb. A bull can hurt or kill you just by accident.

They'll kill you just thinking their playing..dumb animals got no sense of touch..and with a bucket of feed.. a bull or a cow for that matter, will turn you to pulp to get to it..

sim.-ang.king said:
ez14. said:
************* said:
I saw that story,

My first thought was that the owner mistreated the animal.

I've never had bulls act like that.

While I don't blindly trust our bulls, I also never feel like I have to run for my life.

They are all docile on Branded because they aren't abused or taunted. They know where their proverbial roll is buttered.
you've never spent much time on dairys have you
They only abuse cattle at dairy's. That's why the cows are so thin, and the bulls are crazy.
:lol: :lol:

ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:

They'll kill you just thinking their playing..dumb animals got no sense of touch..and with a bucket of feed.. a bull or a cow for that matter, will turn you to pulp to get to it..

I've found it's easier to lead cattle rather than to force them from behind.

It's not as macho, you won't look like the Marlboro man, but it's a lot more relaxing and quiet, and the animals seem to like it as well.

I will leave the action up to the rodeo stars, and stick with my old trusty bucket of grain to make them go where I need them to go.

One thing I've known since I was a kid around cattle, is to always have an exit plan. I never give an animal an opportunity to have me cornered with no where to go.

ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:

So drop the bucket!

Nesikep said:
ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:

So drop the bucket!
No! It's my bucket and I'm not going to just hand it over unless I want to! :lol:

I have been chased by a wide assortment of breeds of bulls. Nearly one of every major breed. I have only been actually hit by three. The first one was a rodeo bull who was using me to mop up the arena. Being a rodeo bull I guess that doesn't really count. Next was a Highlander at a sale yard I was working at. His horn caught me in the back of my knees and flipped me over a gate like I was nothing The other was the tamest Angus bull I ever owned. I went to get him out of a pen. In a flash he had me against the fence trying to pull my wallet out of my back pocket. I had one arm over the fence and wasn't going down no matter what. About 4 weeks later I could get in and out of bed normally without pain. But actually I have had more run ins with cows than I have had with bulls.

Most people that Get hurt by mature Bulls (not calves ) 3 + years old always say he would let me scratch his back . While Jersey gets the bad wrap I would say Angus kills or hurts more people every year. usually stupid old men that think because they raised it it wont kill them.

************* said:
5S Cattle said:
************* said:
I saw that story,

My first thought was that the owner mistreated the animal.

I've never had bulls act like that.

While I don't blindly trust our bulls, I also never feel like I have to run for my life.

They are all docile on Branded because they aren't abused or taunted. They know where their proverbial roll is buttered.

:roll: :lol2:

Roll your eyes all you want, but the only crazy bulls I have seen are the one's where the owner uses a steel pipe across the face to persuade them instead of a few pounds of grain in a bucket.

People may think I'm crazy when I say this, but a person's energy has a lot to do with things. I've had buyers come out to look at our bulls and they can stand right next to them and pat them on the back, then I have had people come out where the bulls walk off almost as soon as the person steps in the lot. Why?

The AI guy that helps us was in dairy for many many years. He is as gentle with our animals as anything I've ever seen. Never have I seen animals run from him.

Say what you want, but my money says that bull was treated poorly.

Take a look at this video of SAV President, and tell me that this bull has ever been mistreated or mishandled? You will never see him sprawled across the hood of an SUV.

http://bit.ly/2UyhVPs

Once again you are talking about something you have no earthly idea about. This is why you you get ridiculed on a regular basis here. Jersey and Holstein dairy bulls are the top 2 most dangerous breeds of bulls. And I assure you it doesn't take any mistreatment to make them that way. Your beef bulls are no comparison.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
************* said:
5S Cattle said:

Roll your eyes all you want, but the only crazy bulls I have seen are the one's where the owner uses a steel pipe across the face to persuade them instead of a few pounds of grain in a bucket.

People may think I'm crazy when I say this, but a person's energy has a lot to do with things. I've had buyers come out to look at our bulls and they can stand right next to them and pat them on the back, then I have had people come out where the bulls walk off almost as soon as the person steps in the lot. Why?

The AI guy that helps us was in dairy for many many years. He is as gentle with our animals as anything I've ever seen. Never have I seen animals run from him.

Take a look at this video of SAV President, and tell me that this bull has ever been mistreated or mishandled? You will never see him sprawled across the hood of an SUV.

Once again you are talking about something you have no earthly idea about. This is why you you get ridiculed on a regular basis here. Jersey and Holstein dairy bulls are the top 2 most dangerous breeds of bulls. And I assure you it doesn't take any mistreatment to make them that way. Your beef bulls are no comparison.

A guy down the road from me was killed by a Holstein bull years ago.

Im completely aware of the risks.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
************* said:
5S Cattle said:

I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I recently read somewhere that Angus bulls were by far the most dangerous.

Our Select Sires rep said the reason that dairy bulls get mean is that as they age their skull puts pressure on their brain. Jersey are worse than Holstein for this but both can be miserable to deal with.

Dave said:
The other was the tamest Angus bull I ever owned. I went to get him out of a pen. In a flash he had me against the fence trying to pull my wallet out of my back pocket. I had one arm over the fence and wasn't going down no matter what. About 4 weeks later I could get in and out of bed normally without pain. But actually I have had more run ins with cows than I have had with bulls.

I with you Dave bThat's usually how it happens. Unexpectedly. And people that don't respect them always say "my bull won't do that", until he does. And even if you do respect them, it can still happen. You always have to be very vigilant and always have an exit strategy. While some breeds are most certainly more apt to be aggressive, as a general rule any bull of any breed is capable of hurting you at anytime. Of all the common breeds around here, the only one that I've never seen be aggressive is Hereford. But I've heard tales of some that were headhunters. I have a very docile Hereford bull, and I still don't trust him anymore than I would a Jersey. I too, have had way more bruises and injuries from cows. And they all move faster than you think they can.

Here are some water buffalo vs lions... Lion doesn't always win, I'm sure many of these died of their injuries.. some were cows, some were bulls, they sure know how to use them horns!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySYwN0wJTg

Some of these posts have me laughing out loud.

We have raised a lot bulls here for a long time. Disposition of the bulls (and females) we sell is one of the reasons we have a lot of repeat customers. Heck, we even have one guy who sent us a video of him in the pasture riding one of the bulls we sold him as a three year old like a horse around his cows. (I think that is crazy myself, but shows his disposition.) I can tell you we have never picked one up and thrown it in the straw, tipped them over, bulldog them or anything else to show them we are "bigger" than they are. I don't know of any other breeders we are friends with that do that either. We used to halter break a few every year because a couple of consignment sales we sold at required it at one time, but have not halter broke any for about 10 years.

All that being said. even bulls we can walk up and scratch their back we always keep an eye on. I won't go in a pen with a bull without a stick and an escape plan, regardless of the breed.

Disposition is part heritable, part environmental. It is pretty rare that someone can correct the heritable part in cattle very much. The best way to correct the heritable part is to eliminate the problems. No animal is worth getting someone injured or killed, just to keep them in the herd.

Latest posts