The most dangerous breed of bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

I work my bull calves on halter from the age of 1 and a half months up to 15 months old. I know what their strength is and their nature but in the grand scheme of life here, I am much more at threat of being killed by a dope head driving on US 62 between here and Maysville.

Raised up 2 registered Jersey bulls. Used them on our last set of grade Holstein heifers. Used to have to drive mixer into the pen to feed. Them little rascals would wait at the gate and soon as your feet hit the ground they were after you. I don't think they made it 6 months in the breeding pen.

Bright Raven said:
I work my bull calves on halter from the age of 1 and a half months up to 15 months old. I know what their strength is and their nature but in the grand scheme of life here, I am much more at threat of being killed by a dope head driving on US 62 between here and Maysville.

Ive always been told you shouldn't break a bull until he is 6 months so they retain a fear factor of you. If they become too comfortable around you will eventually challenge you. I'm not experienced enough to say one way or another.

A Jersey is probably the most aggressive. We have a jersey nurse cow that the twins have made into a pet.

We AI'd her to a Jersey bull, E was so excited she'd wants to name the calf sparkle. I told her that was fine but what if it was a bull? She wanted to keep it either way but I explained Jersey bulls were really mean, so she said ok GG we will just eat it if it is a boy. Problem solved!

Gizmom

Redgully said:
Bright Raven said:

Ive always been told you shouldn't break a bull until he is 6 months so they retain a fear factor of you. If they become too comfortable around you will eventually challenge you. I'm not experienced enough to say one way or another.

One of the venues that I offer a couple bulls in each year requires the bulls to be halter trained. The venue uses one of the fairground facilities and each vendor displays their bulls haltered and tied so folks can view them up close. There is no auction. The bulls are displayed for 3 days or until they sell by private negotiations.

For me, I have to start training before they are 2 months old so I can still handle them without them hurting me.

I have to say, my bulls don't show any fear. All my fall calves come to me for scratches and the bulls can get rough. If they head butt or get too aggressive, I "eye slap" them. You don't need to use much power, just a light slap on the eye. They stop immediately.

gizmom said:
We have a jersey nurse cow that the twins have made into a pet.

We AI'd her to a Jersey bull, E was so excited she'd wants to name the calf sparkle. I told her that was fine but what if it was a bull? She wanted to keep it either way but I explained Jersey bulls were really mean, so she said ok GG we will just eat it if it is a boy. Problem solved!

Gizmom
LOL Kids always love the odd ball.
IF you had a herd of Jersey then the Angus calf would get all the love.
A Hereford calf out of her would be awfully cute too.

Redgully said:
Bright Raven said:

An old dairyman told me years ago his trick with bulls he raised was when they got to be 180-200 lbs he'd scoop 'em up in his arms and throw them into a big pile of straw. He claimed they never forgot it and that even as mature bulls they had respect because they still thought he could do it to them.

gizmom said:
A Jersey is probably the most aggressive. We have a jersey nurse cow that the twins have made into a pet.

Gizmom

Most of the world's problems are as easy as that to solve....as long as we look at it as through the eyes of a child.

SOB

Isn't that the truth. The calf she is nursing E has claimed, her and her daddy are halter breaking it. She has named it Poppy. Now the problem is it not her calf it's the farms, so I had to negotiate with a seven year old. Her cow has a really nice Abundance calf at side so I told her I would trade her bull calf for Poppy. She said no I want the monies when we sell the bull.....no E that isn't the way it works if you want Poppy the farm gets the bull. Took two weeks of negotiations but she finally agreed to trade. Now her sister wants daddy to halter break her a heifer calf. The good news is her cow had a heifer this year. Daddy is fixing to get really busy! He has been hoping and praying they would be interested in the cattle and it finally looks like they are. Have to confess GG is pretty excited they are interested as well. The only problem is to show in 4-H they have to be 8 by September 1st and their birthday is the 19th which stinks.

Gizmom

I saw that story,

My first thought was that the owner mistreated the animal.

I've never had bulls act like that.

While I don't blindly trust our bulls, I also never feel like I have to run for my life.

They are all docile on Branded because they aren't abused or taunted. They know where their proverbial roll is buttered.

Bulls are no joke. Here's an interesting video from back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn2IYjtLZv0

************* said:
I saw that story,

While I don't blindly trust our bulls, I also never feel like I have to run for my life.

They are all docile on Branded because they aren't abused or taunted. They know where their proverbial roll is buttered.

:roll: :lol2:

5S Cattle said:
************* said:
I saw that story,

:roll: :lol2:

Roll your eyes all you want, but the only crazy bulls I have seen are the one's where the owner uses a steel pipe across the face to persuade them instead of a few pounds of grain in a bucket.

People may think I'm crazy when I say this, but a person's energy has a lot to do with things. I've had buyers come out to look at our bulls and they can stand right next to them and pat them on the back, then I have had people come out where the bulls walk off almost as soon as the person steps in the lot. Why?

The AI guy that helps us was in dairy for many many years. He is as gentle with our animals as anything I've ever seen. Never have I seen animals run from him.

Say what you want, but my money says that bull was treated poorly.

Take a look at this video of SAV President, and tell me that this bull has ever been mistreated or mishandled? You will never see him sprawled across the hood of an SUV.

http://bit.ly/2UyhVPs

Son of Butch said:
Redgully said:
Bright Raven said:

An old dairyman told me years ago his trick with bulls he raised was when they got to be 180-200 lbs he'd scoop 'em up in his arms and throw them into a big pile of straw. He claimed they never forgot it and that even as mature bulls they had respect because they still thought he could do it to them.
I think it's important to differentiate between tame and docile... also between fear and respect.
I play with my bull calves when they're young.. yes, I ALWAYS WIN. I think making them FEAR you is a double edged sword.. If for some reason you get their fight or flight response up, they might just fight instead of flee and then you're in for it. With temperaments, I've had the ones that are just tame.. they don't fear you, but they don't respect you either, and they get their panties in a wad whenever you try to work them.. I don't like that at all... They've also got a keen sense of when they have you scared. Last fall I opened a gate to a new pasture.. Hector was the first one through it, down the hill, through the gate, bucking and throwing his arse in the air.. I was 50 ft on the other side of the gate, he was coming toward me. I stood there and he went around.. It a judgement call there.. if I run, then it's a game and will always be
I halter break most everything here.. even if it's not broke to lead, if it's at least broke to stand tied and not freak out about the idea

************* said:
I saw that story,

you've never spent much time on dairys have you

ez14. said:
************* said:
I saw that story,

you've never spent much time on dairys have you
They only abuse cattle at dairy's. That's why the cows are so thin, and the bulls are crazy.

Latest posts