The Last Trimester with Pics and advice

Help Support CattleToday:

facilities or a good hay ring. let the calf suck and lay down then drop a hay ring over it and get ready to wrestle - they all get vaccinated for scours, tagged, and weighed - banded if they'll be a steer. Momma looks on and cries, but can't do anything about it.

tncattle467":1sywja9x said:
gizmom":1sywja9x said:
Jeanne,

Luckily, the cow that got me #48 not my lucky number, was really late calving that year and was already on the cull list, in fact hers was the last calf born that year. So I had from February to the next October to heal and to get my courage back. So I had a few months to get my nerve back, but the first time out I was shaking so hard I couldn't get the tag on the tagger! It's better now but even after five years I still do get spooked at times. The worst part was my son was scheduled to get married in May I was injured the 21st of February so I had to attend wedding showers in a cast....that was a bummer not to mention I slept in a recliner for about a month.

Another prime example as to why you should wait until weaning to tag the calves. Even though my calves are all black I can tell which one goes with which moma tag or not.

Perhaps where you live you can get away with this. I am surrounded by other large ranches. If I don't mark, and a tree falls across the fence resulting in my calves being a mile away with a hundred other calves, then I am unlikely to get them back. Actually if I wait to weaning I can't see much point in tagging most of them at all, since they will be sold shortly. I would assume you run a rather small herd (under 50) if you can still tell them all apart by weaning, so it probably works for you. Those running hundreds of cows, and wanting good data will need some way to identify those calves long before weaning.

tncattle467":1rhb3f57 said:
gizmom":1rhb3f57 said:
Jeanne,

Luckily, the cow that got me #48 not my lucky number, was really late calving that year and was already on the cull list, in fact hers was the last calf born that year. So I had from February to the next October to heal and to get my courage back. So I had a few months to get my nerve back, but the first time out I was shaking so hard I couldn't get the tag on the tagger! It's better now but even after five years I still do get spooked at times. The worst part was my son was scheduled to get married in May I was injured the 21st of February so I had to attend wedding showers in a cast....that was a bummer not to mention I slept in a recliner for about a month.

Another prime example as to why you should wait until weaning to tag the calves. Even though my calves are all black I can tell which one goes with which moma tag or not.

Unless you have very few calves or a spread out calving season, I doubt this.

angus9259":y51eft98 said:
facilities or a good hay ring. let the calf suck and lay down then drop a hay ring over it and get ready to wrestle - they all get vaccinated for scours, tagged, and weighed - banded if they'll be a steer. Momma looks on and cries, but can't do anything about it.

That's smart! I'll have to remember that one. So far, knock wood, our cows have all been smart enough to tell the difference between a predator and their master so we have been able to weigh the newborn calves unmolested. But if we do get one who wants to take us out, I'll sure try that. With the hay ring close to the truck!

We weigh and tag all our calves at birth, you can't get true measurements without them. Needless to say we cull for disposition! What happened to me was my fault I wasn't paying enough attention and it cost me. Cattle can be dangerous accidents happen on a farm that is why we all need to be careful none of us are immune to getting injured when working with them. I can't report a birth weight to my association when I haven't actually taken one, that is just the way we run our operation some folks are better at judging weights by sight than I am. I am not going to say they are wrong it just isn't the way we do it. We have been in the cattle business for twenty years I can look out in the pasture and yes I can tell one black cow from another without a tag, but I sure can't do it with a calf, again I am not saying it can't be done I am just saying I can't so for us the calves need to be tagged.

I hope you get a new baby soon I can't beleive she hasn't had you a baby yet!

wow...hot topic I guess. :mrgreen:
Another quick update....more drainage with hay stuck to it and all, bigger belly, a yet just a little more udder, but no strutting.

bes1.jpg

bes1.jpg

bes3.jpg

notice the dried goop hanging again. Yesterday it was about 4 inches worth..today...maybe 16 inches long

The stuff that strings long like that is just mucus/mucus plug. The birthing mucus won;t hand like that. Could be a day could be a month, when she's ready she'll have it.

Dun,
This is the 3rd time in the last month she has had drainage like that. Does that mean anything? Also, from what you can see, how do you think she is holding up in condition? She has free choice hay, 5 lbs of range cubes a day split in 2, and still has good grass. I would give her a BCS of 6, but I dont have the trained eye of experience.

Thanks. I want her to go into nursing with good condition so when the grass starts coming back it will time with the calf's nutritional demands. I didnt have any choice of when she was bred, but looks like its timing out just about right. Like I said before, Im not too worried about when she will calve, just anxious to actually see it happen. Still waiting on my book ( Story) to arrive, guess the holidays have slowed things up

not yet. she sure is lumbering around though. I guess she's in no hurry to calve or to get anywhere.

Not to far. I'm between, Ocala and Tampa .Inverness, Fl. Thanks for replying. Keep us posted on your calfing. And wishing you and herifer mama for a good and safe delivery!!!!! :nod:

Latest posts