The Fine Line

Help Support CattleToday:

lgfarms

Reaction score
After studying vast amounts of EPD information and looking at seemingly every available option for Angus AI sires, I keep coming back to one question. Where is the breaking point between growth and groceries?

Assuming some replacements will be retained, the general cowherd frame score needs to be slightly decreased, milk needs to stay the same, only feeders get grain, and feeders will be backgrounded to 800 - 900 lbs before sale - where would you go with bull selection?

My suggestion would be stick with quality not quantity. Seek out a bull who's get are great for conversion. You don't need frame size to have a good converter of feed. Galloways are small on the conventional frame score charts, but they consistently take home the award for top feed conversion - or run a close second to the Limo's - at Olds College.

It shouldn't be too tough to find one that will do what you listed, as long as you keep in mind that you don't need phenomenal growth to get those other traits. Hope that helps. ;-) :cboy:

The feeders around here want large medium to small large framed calves. Finsihing at around 1200-1400 lbs at a yong age. If you stick with breed average for EPDs for most traits and below average for HT wyou should be ok. But I'm sure no wizard with black EPDs. Or any other for that matter, but I know what works for us

dun

Depending on your operation, the breaking point is decided when the cost of groceries exceeds the price you get paid. I know it's a smart *** answer, but everyone has differing operations. One farm might have a connection to get feed dirt cheap, where the other may get hay cheap. I think the most important factor is efficiency of feed. Big cows are great, but they eat big! I personally like cows no more than the 1100 to 1200 lb. range.

Dun, what kind of freaky dance is that cow doing in your avatar?

i have used this on other strings, but i think it is valuable information. when looking at Angus bulls, the $Values should be at least considered. if you are mainly retaining females, i would lean more to quality grade and feed costs ($Grid and $EN) while maintaining reasonable levels of milk and growth. if you are selling the steers at/soon after weaning, add the $Wean into the equation.

if you have reached the herd size you are looking for and will be selling mostly feeder calves, $Wean should be a good indicator of profitability and $Beef will indicate how profitable those calves are for the people that buy them from you.

i dont know your EPD literacy level so dont think i am saying you dont know what they mean... just giving my thoughts on the situation.

one other bit of advice for "female building" would be to not get carried away with EPDs and avoid any extremes. remember that most of the bulls you find in the summary are average BW, ultra-high growth, high milk, mediocre IMF bulls. if you have a cow herd that helps fill in the gaps, the calves should be very solid in end product merit and easy to sell.