The deciding Factor: Which Livestock?

Help Support CattleToday:

I know nothing about Texas besides what I have read on here. But I read once that right now only two things were turning profits and had a future for profit. Beef and they said only if the prices stayed high like they are. And the only almost sure deal was Goats. Goat meat is a meat that we import more than export due to the growing Hispanic community a La4angus mentioned.

But on 5 acres I think I would get me a Steer to eat and maybe a few extra to keep with him and sale later when you butcher him. Might be able to cover cost of him for free Meat.

As already stated, for 5 acres, goats would probably be the way to go. If not, remember you are smack dab in the middle of Longhorn country, :) , I run a small herd and you can't beat em in my book!

(Where is Springer? Felt sure they would jump in with Murray's)

Mosho":2hffkpys said:
JoLY, With your optimism and enthusiasm I believe you will do well in whatever you do. You are like a breath of fresh air.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! As I like to tell my older co-workers "I'm just trying to hold on to my youthful exuberance for as long as possible!"

onthehoof":3rr2ex3r said:
We only have five acres as well. The nieghbors don't like our cows much, but heck I don't care. We are zoned for it, so if they don't like it then they can move to the city as far as I am concerned. One nieghbor down the road was complaining that they make to much noise; I told him if he wanted to keep complaining - I can go buy ten more :D
Haven't heard anything else out him.

We have a mixture of cows, two dairy and two beef. Two are hiefers and two are steers. We're going to eat the steers and breed the heifers, to always have meat in the freezer. These are hard times here, especially with winter coming; most here can't even afford to heat their homes in the winter let alone buy a steak.

If we get heifer calves, we will keep those, raise them up and then breed them as well. When we get to a point where we have more than we need for ourselves, then we plan on selling to pay to feed the others. A long term goal, it will take a few years to do, but a goal none the less.

We also raise pigs for meat. It helps in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it sounds like you have a head on your shoulders and you use it :D

I know what you mean about not being able to afford steak, tho' down here it is usually because we have to spend it all on the A/C! :p

warpaint":3agitosc said:
As already stated, for 5 acres, goats would probably be the way to go. If not, remember you are smack dab in the middle of Longhorn country, :) , I run a small herd and you can't beat em in my book!

Do you do strictly market steers? Or do you sell them as,,,how to put it..."lawn ornaments"? My mom has always wanted one as a lawn ornament :p
Do they do well enough that you can run a small herd and make enough profit?
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks to:
Andybob, dcara, TheBullLady, la4angus, Beefy, The Autrailian cattleman, and aplusmnt.

With all of your advice, were are looking into the goat option, though we are still interested in exploring cattle options. we appreciate your input! My God bless all your endevours!

JoLy":2pj7e7ly said:
warpaint":2pj7e7ly said:

Do you do strictly market steers? Or do you sell them as,,,how to put it..."lawn ornaments"? My mom has always wanted one as a lawn ornament :p
Do they do well enough that you can run a small herd and make enough profit?
Thanks for the advice!

In today's market, I'll sell em for whatever anybody wants!!
Lawn ornaments, pasture art, or lean beef on the hoof.

I'd rather not sell em as ropers, but if pushed to it, I will.

Latest posts