The cure for White-eye.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
The cure for White-eye.

IMO, there is no medication, none, and I have tried them all, that will cure white-eye.
The reason for this is that there is no blood flow in the cornea of the eye to carry the medication to the cornea.
The best you can hope for, if you administer a medication in any fashion, is for it to travel through the blood stream and get to the cornea by way of the tears ducts.

The only cure I have found is a regimented program of eye washing and massage with hydrogen peroxide.
The amount of white that is removed, depends on the length of treatment.

This is also a very effect cure for pink-eye'
SL

highgrit

Re:
I shall try hydrogen peroxide for pinkeye next time.
For pink eye, use a LA-200 wash the first day.

For bad cases:
Load a 10cc syringe with LA 200, remove the needle. I REPEAT, remove the needle!
Never ever go near the eye with a needle.
Now place the syringe in the back corner of the eye and squirt this will fill the eye socket and get 200 on all the eyeball and third lid.
Fold a paper towel ¼ size and drench it with hydrogen peroxide lay it over the eye and massage

For light cases:
Use the same procedure but with hydrogen peroxide in the syringe. No LA-200 is used.
Fold a paper towel ¼ size and drench it with hydrogen peroxide lay it over the eye and massage for 5-10 seconds. Now wash the animal's face with it!
The next day use the same procedure but with hydrogen peroxide in the syringe for both a bad or light case.
You should see improvement in 3 - 5 days after last treatment.

In both bad and light cases when I have several to do, and limited time I use a squirt bottle from the dollar store for the hydrogen peroxide.
I have even walked in the field and squirted cows and calves there.

SL

Anything you squirt into the eye - even if it is a medication specifically formulated for use in the eye, will be flushed out, by normal tearing, within at least 10-15 minutes. It's far better to inject the animal with the appropriate dosage of oxytetracycline(LA-200, Tetradure, etc.) - as the antibiotic reaches the same level in tears that it does in other body fluids, so the eye is being constantly bathed with a therapeutic concentration of tetracycline.

The use of hydrogen peroxide, as you're describing, probably does no harm, but it's not what's affecting 'the cure'. I will caution any reading your stuff that the 'massaging' you're advocating certainly could rupture an ulcerated cornea.

There is so much bullcrap put out on the internet about miraculous 'cures' for pinkeye. In most cases, it's an issue of the cattle healing up IN SPITE of the junk that folks squirt in their eyes.

Lucky_P":2lenktpq said:
Anything you squirt into the eye - even if it is a medication specifically formulated for use in the eye, will be flushed out, by normal tearing, within at least 10-15 minutes. It's far better to inject the animal with the appropriate dosage of oxytetracycline(LA-200, Tetradure, etc.) - as the antibiotic reaches the same level in tears that it does in other body fluids, so the eye is being constantly bathed with a therapeutic concentration of tetracycline.

The use of hydrogen peroxide, as you're describing, probably does no harm, but it's not what's affecting 'the cure'. I will caution any reading your stuff that the 'massaging' you're advocating certainly could rupture an ulcerated cornea.

There is so much bullcrap put out on the internet about miraculous 'cures' for pinkeye. In most cases, it's an issue of the cattle healing up IN SPITE of the junk that folks squirt in their eyes.

Thanks Lucky..wish we had a "like" button for each post. :clap: And in reference to SL's last post I'd just have to give it the :bs: flag.

Lucky_P & TexasBred

And that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, as am I
But I don't have a special interest here, do you?
You both wouldn't be pill pusher, would ya?

FYI: This procedure was used on both humans and animal since long before there were pills ( store bought medicines ), and it worked.
Ask your grandmother what she used to treat pink-eye.
SL

Sir Loin":1a26dr1a said:
Lucky_P & TexasBred

FYI: This procedure was used on both humans and animal since long before there were pills ( store bought medicines ), and it worked.
SL

You might want to retreat on this one, old buddy, before you make a fool of your self again. Lucky_P has been a LAV for many years and has cattle of his own. His knowledge is based on years of study and experience, not the "copy and paste" method that you're so fond of.

Lucky_P: I apoligize if you're a woman. The same applies either way.

Lucky-P,
Always enjoy your posts. Question for ya.
What is the cause of the white covered eye in a new born?
I've only had one over the years and thought it may have been a mineral deficiency in the cow. Treated it with pen.
It cleared up but may have cleared up on it's own. Thanks

fitz

VanC,

Oooops! I'm sorry, did I step on your toes also?

Ya know you'll have asked for my credentials qualifying me to speak on the subject and I gave you mine.
So why don't you'll give me yours?

I will say it again, I am just a dumb old farmer with a GED and 65 years of experience.

What are your credentials?
SL

Sir Loin":3a1o4y9z said:
Lucky_P & TexasBred

SL
I assure you I have absolutely no connection with the big pharma. Heck I don't even keep antibiotics on the place. I would ask grandma but she died 30 years ago.

SL,
In your initial post, you wrote, "The best you can hope for, if you administer a medication in any fashion, is for it to travel through the blood stream and get to the cornea by way of the tears ducts."
And, you were exactly right! That's exactly what LA-200 and the other long-acting tetracycline products do - if you give them as directed on the label instructions, at the appropriate dosage! They're secreted in the tears, constantly bathing the eyes with a therapeutic level of the drug for the 3-4 day duration of that treatment.
No need for squirting anything in the eye, no need for those subconjunctival injections we used to do(I don't think they worked - they were mostly voodoo, too.) Eye patch/flap, or sewing the lids together still can be helpful in managing severe cases.

I haven't been a 'pill-pusher' as you describe it, for over 20 years, since I left large animal veterinary practice to become a veterinary pathologist. I'm not 65, but you're not far ahead of me, and I, too, have spent most of my life working with cattle.
I don't sell a thing, don't charge for my services - I am paid by the taxpayers of my state for my knowledge and ability to help food animal producers and their veterinarians. It's how I finance my 'farming habit'. lol

I know about bacteria, viruses, parasites - how they are transmitted, how they cause disease. I know how vaccines work, I know how antimicrobial agents kill or interrupt the life cycle of bacteria, etc. I know how the animals' body systems work - including the immune system and reproductive system. I know about wound/tissue healing. I know about various cancers and nutritional deficiencies/imbalances.

I know that folks have thrown all manner of stuff - salt, nitrofurazone powder, mastitis treatment, etc. - in cows' eyes for as long as we've had cows and pinkeye in them. Some of them have healed up in spite of it - some of them didn't .
Yeah, I suspect that my grandfather(not my grandmother) probably threw some salt in a pinkeye cow's eye at some point. Born in 1887, most of his lifetime was spent before antibiotics became readily available for livestock; they didn't have much at their disposal beyond salt, turpentine, coal tar, boric acid (grandma would have used the boric acid solution). Why would you want to ignore the advances of modern science and medicine to go back to voodoo BS? Come on into the 20th Century - or even into the 21st, if you're brave enough...

The only interest I have is in seeing that people treat their animals in the best way possible to enhance the chances of a good outcome - both for the animal and for the producer. I'll call BS when I see it.
Like I said, your use of H2O2 is probably not harmful, but also not likely to be responsible for any improvement or 'cure' that you're laying claim to - that miracle belongs to the animal and their ability to heal - with our help, or in spite of our help.
Mashing around on an eye with a corneal ulcer? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Again - anything you 'squirt' in a cow's eye will be flushed out by normal tear action in less than 15 minutes - even faster in one that's tearing more heavily than usual, due to pinkeye or other malady.
Good rule of thumb - don't put anything in an animal's eye that you wouldn't want put in YOUR OWN.

We had a weird thing happen here last year -- well, maybe not weird, but we weren't sure what to do. Bought an angus steer from a co-worker. They were going to deliver him in a week or so. Several days before delivery date, they called and said this steer had followed along with a Char. bull that had busted through their fences, then back out through their fences, and they had to go retrieve him, so he was loaded in the trailer and ready for re-homing. Within a day or two, we saw clouding in one of his eyes, and then it got red/blood-shot and ugly. I picked up drugs, but we couldn't get our hands on him -- he was scared and goofy as sh*t. The neighbor said "pink eye;" I was thinking "injury." Long story short, we just sort of let nature take its course, since it was a long way from his heart, and eventually, all that cleared up and that eye now looks totally normal -- I think my guess was the correct one. Don't know if it's totally functional, but it doesn't bother him. ??? Will be so glad when we finally get our new cattle handling facility all set up, and we don't have to wish on a prayer with this stuff.

Sir Loin":2qvfcwcg said:
The cure for White-eye.

IMO, there is no medication, none, and I have tried them all, that will cure white-eye.
The reason for this is that there is no blood flow in the cornea of the eye to carry the medication to the cornea.
The best you can hope for, if you administer a medication in any fashion, is for it to travel through the blood stream and get to the cornea by way of the tears ducts.

The only cure I have found is a regimented program of eye washing and massage with hydrogen peroxide.
The amount of white that is removed, depends on the length of treatment.

This is also a very effect cure for pink-eye'
SL

The longer you treat, the more time it has to possibly get better on it's own and for you to claim success.

The way to tell if the treatment is effective is to set up a study with a treated group and a control group randomly selected and see if the treated and non-treated are any different.

A guy can go broke really quick chasing all the claims of miracle cures out there. Has to be a way to determine which are legitimate.

Somehow we graduate millions of students and turn them loose to live their life without them knowing how to assess various claims. We focus on how to make money, but not how to avoid getting ripped off.

You people are beginning to make me wonder if you even know what Hydrogen peroxide is !
Re:
don't put anything in an animal's eye that you wouldn't want put in YOUR OWN.
FYI: Hydrogen peroxide has been used as a treatment for pinkeye in humans for decades.
As a child I was treated with Hydrogen peroxide for pinkeye many times, as were 1,000s of other children. It was also used for mouth and gum ulcers and to brush your teeth.
Women even used it as a douche for vaginal infections. Women also used it to color their hair, which is where the term "Peroxide blonde" came from.
In addition to using it for cuts and scrapes, ear infections and the common cold .

What do you think is in all these over the counter eye and ear sprays and drops?
And it can be bought for a dollar a quart at, no other than, your local Dollar store.

That is not to say I don't use more conventional medications and methods. I infect do, and I believe I have tried them all or combinations there of at some time.
I have even tried "Vetericyn® Pink Eye", which is a spray in the eye medication.
See: http://www.americanlivestock.com/pc-789 ... k-eye.aspx
It's $38.95 for 16 oz.
I wonder what the active ingredient is? Do we have a chemist on board who can tell us?

Now as for me massaging the eye with a HP soaked paper towel and doing damage.
The chances of me doing any damage to the eye is far less than the animal racking its eye on a post, tree or the ground to relieve the burning, stinging and itching.
Plus by washing the face at the same time I am helping to prevent the spread from this animal to another.

Here is a site you need to read. Scroll down to treatment".
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... cattle.pdf

But before you do "think of a herd of 400 mama cows with calf by their side, not 10 steers in a pen and you have all the manpower and resources you want in a clinical setting!
How much time and man power is it going to take to round up, separate the infected, and match the infected with its mamma or calf to keep then together for the next days treatment and the next days treatment.
And then on the second day of treatment you find 4 more infected in your herd. Now you have to do all the above again. And if you find more the next day, do it all over again.

Hey people there are more then one type cattle operation out here.
And the cost and manpower is a big part of it.

What you are saying is fine for a cliental situation or hobby farm, but out here in the real world some of your ideas just don't cut it.
SL

TexasBred

Re:
Amazing so few people are having this white eye problem in epidemic portions besides yourself.
These aren't my cattle, they are off of three different dairy farms and 4 different beef cattle operations.
And there are 100s more out there.
One old boy in GA lost 96 head back in 06.
SL

SL,
I'm not a chemist by training, but the chemistry requirements for my BS in microbiology essentially qualified me as having the equivalent of a minor in chemistry.

Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 - reacts with catalase enzyme which is present in red blood cells and some bacteria (if they produce catalase - not all do) and breaks down to water and oxygen - hence the 'bubbling' action you see when you pour it into a wound. I suppose the 02 generated would be toxic to anaerobic bacteria, like Clostridium tetani.

Vetericyn = snake oil, and people who are purchasing that stuff are really getting taken to the cleaners. Literally. The emperor really has no clothes on.
Vetericyn is, for all intents and purposes, nothing more than a very dilute solution of chlorine bleach(sodium hypochlorite) in water.
Here's the MSDS sheet for Vetericyn, with its list of ingredients(96.2% water):
https://www.accessbutler.com/msdsimages/A0004039.pdf

Val,
In general, H2O2 is for flushing/cleaning fresh, or contaminated wounds - not older, clean, healing wounds.
A good rule of thumb, with regard to not impeding wound healing is that you should not put anything in/on a healing wound that you wouldn't want to put in your own eye. In other words, if it burns or hurts, it's not good.

Latest posts