The Consumer wants "TENDER"

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2, my S'pol and MG's (recipient cows) are located in a coastal tropical climate where heat, humidity, ticks and flies are in abundance. I have different experiences with S'pol than what Brandonm2 has described in relation to heat tolerance. I have found the S'pol graze for much longer periods than the MGs and when the S'pol aren't grazing are often lying in the sun chewing their cud when the MGs have long-before headed for the shade of the trees.

Additionally, I find S'pol: adapt to new locations and learn new management routines quicker than other breeds; have much more respect for all kinds of fences; are incredibly placid and easy to manage; are very well adapted to sub-tropical and tropical climates.

Bullseye":gh32vofy said:
My Senepol and Murray Grey (recipient cows) are located in a coastal tropical climate where heat, humidity, ticks and flies are in abundance. I have different experiences with Senepol than what Brandonm2 has described in relation to heat tolerance. I have found the Senepol graze for much longer periods than the MGs and when the Senepol aren't grazing are often lying in the sun chewing their cud when the MGs have long-before headed for the shade of the trees.

Additionally, I find Senepol: adapt to new locations and learn new management routines quicker than other breeds; have much more respect for all kinds of fences; are incredibly placid and easy to manage; are very well adapted to sub-tropical and tropical climates.

Your Senepols were better than my Senepols. I didn't see any of that heat tolerance, they weren't the least bit placid, and I have seen them go thru even corrall panels.

Brandonm2, I guess there is variation in every breed, you get some bad ones, I suppose you were unlucky with your choice of beasts... Especially with temperament. From my experience and other breeders experience in my region they "do well" here and they are naturally placid, pet-like placid.

One of the largest S'pol breeders in Australia is a few hours drive from here. Those cattle are not treated with any chemical for parasites (ticks, flies, etc which are rife in this region) and when I last closely inspected those cattle at a annul sale they looked good. They looked every bit as good as my friend's Brahman located only a short drive from the breeder.

As for heat tolerance, studies have shown S'pol graze for longer periods than Brahman, if I recall the figure correctly it is 1.5 hours longer per day. Everyone knowzz, if they graze for longer they growzzz quicker.

When I last checked the temperature here, in the shade, was 32 deg C (89.6 F). We received 60+ mm of rain overnight so the humidity is stifling and at the time it was 9 am. I have said this before, the S'pol are still grazing while my M Grey have been in the shade since just before 8 am.

Years ago the cattle that dominated this region were Hereford, virtually everyone now run Brahman or Brahman crosses. The old-timers who ran Hereford had to put the cattle through chemical dips to control parasites and now those locations where the cattle dips were are polluted - identified as highly toxic sites. Now that we know better, tropical adapted chemical free cattle are a better option. Currently rather than using Brahman genetics to provide tropical adaptability to commercial beef production many of the largest cattle companies here are going for S'pol. Some of the S'pol crosses are with Charolais, Bonsmara, Belmont Red, Angus, Red Angus and Murray Grey to name a few.

I bought mine when Senepol was a REALLY REALLY HOT breed out here and cows were being flushed that probably shouldn't have been flushed. I only owned three and their calves so it is entirely possible that mine were not typical of the breed. If you are having more success with them than I had, more power to you.

Latest posts