The benefit of low cattle prices.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
We're going to slaughter a steer for the first time in years. I'm looking forward to the butchering, processing and eating of Spot, the killing part not so much.

True Grit Farms":24n5er2o said:
We're going to slaughter a steer for the first time in years. I'm looking forward to the butchering, processing and eating of Spot, the killing part not so much.

Nooooooooootttt Spoooooooooooooott!!!!!! You heathen!

My wife and son name everything around our place. It makes it really not fun when something dies.

Bestoutwest":27j6iumy said:
True Grit Farms":27j6iumy said:

Nooooooooootttt Spoooooooooooooott!!!!!! You heathen!

My wife and son name everything around our place. It makes it really not fun when something dies.

Do you name them things like Santiago and Rinaldi?

NECowboy":bmbt0703 said:
Do you name them things like Santiago and Rinaldi?

Ha! No, we have an Annie b/c she was an orphan. And an Icee Hott b/c I have a little kid. Our cats are named Hawk and Dot (again, little kid). Chickens all have names. It's bad.

We have certain cow families that have names, and there are cows that have real personalities that get nicknames even when they have numbers....but I don't have a problem with eating a "named" animal. Mostly anything that is likely to be designated as freezer beef gets a name like "rump roast or steak"....I have become much less "sentimental" as I have gotten older and am usually the one that says an animal has to go when it comes up open or is old or doesn't produce a calf up to snuff even when it is a pet. Cried when we had to ship our old red poll bull; he was having trouble getting up due to arthritis and was as sweet as any animal we ever had. Never saw him breed a cow but never had anything come up open when he was used in any pasture. But I wouldn't watch him suffer through a winter when he started getting so stiff in the hind leg, and he was getting some real age on him. I never make a steer a pet so don't have to feel bad about selling/eating them...not even the ones I raise on nurse cows or bottles. I regularly raise and have butchered jersey steers for my own beef and they are raised as bottle babies or grafted on nurse cows that I spend alot of time with in the barn lot. They are there for a reason and I try not to let them become something that they are not....I also feel better about killing one that I have raised as opposed to sending them off to a strange place and not getting treated decently at the end....And I have an "orphan Annie" too, and she was given a reprieve when we finally caught her out at pasture after her mother died, she isn't much, but gotta respect the will to live.

i've just run out of names I like.. Few steers get names anymore, and not all the heifers do either.. The replacements usually do though.
Farmerjan, Your bull sounds like my old cow Rosie I put down 3 years ago.. I couldn't have her go through another winter with her arthritis

I only name the bulls. Caught my childrens nanny calling my new bull ugly in Spanish so I named him "El Guapo" which means "the handsome". Caught my kids naming a little brown cow butterscotch. I was going to sell that one. Wound up giving the cow up for adoption to my daughter for her birthday. All of my livestock goes by a number except the bull. Easier that way.

BK9954":yzmc8xfp said:
I only name the bulls. Caught my childrens nanny calling my new bull ugly in Spanish so I named him "El Guapo" which means "the handsome". Caught my kids naming a little brown cow butterscotch. I was going to sell that one. Wound up giving the cow up for adoption to my daughter for her birthday. All of my livestock goes by a number except the bull. Easier that way.
Isnt it amazing how young Daughters and Granddaughters can persuade Dad and Grampa into things that we would never normally do.

I have a lot of my cows named. Speck and Charity are the twins. Come running as soon as they see the truck for a treat. Some names I have are Lily, Nell, Buffy, Mica, Bunny, Joy, Hope, Bug, his mother is Ladybug, Lady, Brock, Mikie, Snowball. I named one Faith, but she was so wild I call her Cat now. I also have Buttercup, Ruby, Buffalo Girl, Pretty Girl, Speckles, Black Beauty, Pet, Lon,a little calf born on my grandfather's birthday so I named him after my granddaddy. Sunny, SuSu, Star, Daisy and the others are just numbers.
I know I let myself get to close to them, but it is hard not to. I sure could not eat one of them. My daddy always butchered one and sold some to his friends that he worked with on the railroad. I guess always having beef to eat makes me not want to eat it now. My daughter loves beef and has to have it regularly.

We have named a few. Ribeye. Hamburger. Steak. Stripey. Fluffy ears. Blacky. Whitey. We're creative like that.

Next year's Jersey is named Ferdinand. We bought him off a lady who had named all her milk cows and their calves, so we aren't to blame.

with the low prices ive got a dink bull calf that i may pen and put on feed.but not sure yet as the freezer is full.

bigbull338":advohq71 said:
with the low prices ive got a dink bull calf that i may pen and put on feed.but not sure yet as the freezer is full.
I could help you out with that oversupply of beef and veggies. :nod: :nod:

Craig Miller":2lh55i3o said:
We have named a few. Ribeye. Hamburger. Steak. Stripey. Fluffy ears. Blacky. Whitey. We're creative like that.

I tried by naming our first bull "Bull." But the cows get "real" names. I like your names, they work well.

Latest posts