The benefit of low cattle prices.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":3pf4fmuv said:
We're going to slaughter a steer for the first time in years. I'm looking forward to the butchering, processing and eating of Spot, the killing part not so much.
How do you hang yours when you butcher on the farm True Grit? I've done quite a few the past couple winters and have done it several different ways and some didn't get hung for much more than a few days and some not at all. I know that was not ideal just wondering how you do it.

ohiosteve":2dqrhnfm said:
True Grit Farms":2dqrhnfm said:
We're going to slaughter a steer for the first time in years. I'm looking forward to the butchering, processing and eating of Spot, the killing part not so much.
How do you hang yours when you butcher on the farm True Grit? I've done quite a few the past couple winters and have done it several different ways and some didn't get hung for much more than a few days and some not at all. I know that was not ideal just wondering how you do it.

Steve on ice and keep the water drained off. You have no trimming of the dried out black meat. Saves alot of time and it's only hamburger.

True Grit Farms":2o195vek said:

We have butchered even though the price was up. Me and Dad have discussed this to no end. In his mind if you eat one you were losing $1000 that could have been in your pocket. I belive though that you will end up spending that thousand plus some to go to the store and purchase the same amount of beef. I think the biggest difference is that they eat out a lot and we do not. There are only two of them and five of us. Completely different grocery bills. With the price down though I did end up keeping two to plan for future freezer meat that I had planned on selling. If I'm gonna give them away at the sale then I might as well eat them. We both agreed on that fact.

Craig Miller":3qsykn21 said:
True Grit Farms":3qsykn21 said:

We have butchered even though the price was up. Me and Dad have discussed this to no end. In his mind if you eat one you were losing $1000 that could have been in your pocket. I belive though that you will end up spending that thousand plus some to go to the store and purchase the same amount of beef. I think the biggest difference is that they eat out a lot and we do not. There are only two of them and five of us. Completely different grocery bills. With the price down though I did end up keeping two to plan for future freezer meat that I had planned on selling. If I'm gonna give them away at the sale then I might as well eat them. We both agreed on that fact.

Sell one to some other people and that will pay for yours.

This is my favorite reason to have cattle. Conceived, born, raised and harvested here with minimum inputs. I know I'm bragging but I'm pretty proud of this.

ohiosteve":gjt39pqx said:
This is my favorite reason to have cattle. Conceived, born, raised and harvested here with minimum inputs. I know I'm bragging but I'm pretty proud of this.

I can't do the harvest here part but the rest I am in complete agreement with. There is no better beef than your own... :nod: :nod: :nod:

ohiosteve":2a2jklcw said:
It's something to be very proud of..

CM - The counter argument to your Dad. You sell it for $1,000 wholesale, then you turn around and buy it back at the supermarket at retail for $1,650, or more... You saved $650... Might even get a tax write off....

Latest posts