That's a lot of ergot...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lbass

Reaction score

I know the conditions were good last year and the fields were hot. That and the fact that I had 69 cows new to the farm, 36 of which were first calf heifers. It wasnt a fun summer.

Finding a lot of ergot this year in the fescue. Not very excited, but I guess it will give a chance to see how culling and much improved grazing management will factor in.

For those of you not in the fescue belt. Ergot in the early stage is orangish-pink. Turning black like a mouse turd. Full range in the picture.

I hadn't even looked. I am almost done with clipping the seed heads and that helps. I will look in a couple hours and see how bad it is here.

Haven't noticed any yet. I turned out to a fresh 60 Tuesday and drove all over it yesterday looking for them, it needs clipped but it might be a while before it gets it.

Your culling and management will pay big time. Most people want to treat their cows like Ron Popeil, set it and forget it. Don't work well that way.

I'm relatively new to KY 31. Am I understanding that when you have an Ergot infestation, clipping and/or cutting and baling will stifle the attack and new shoots will be clean....at least till seed heads form again, and will they too be automatically infected? Is it a problem in hay even if mature?

It's much more concentrated in the seed heads so getting those gone helps a lot. Fescue only seeds once a year so it won't be as big an issue again this year. I cut my hay early so it hadn't really gotten started. Fall cutting won't be a problem.

I'm not clipping. My hog is a POS and only mows at 1 height. Which is apparently the height to really cause eye problems. Trying to do the trampling with the cows this year. Daily move.

He's a before and after. Should take another 50 days or so. I see them everyday so i'll know if they start sliding, but they aren't panting and crowding water like they were last year. 87 today and they were out eating.

I wish I could have bought this white herd out when they were younger. 48 cows and after 2 years of culling for open and broken mouth i only have 10 left. They sure do good on fescue though, trying to keep all the heifers I can after the black cow wreck last year. These are the product of decades of no management, I wasnt excited when I had to buy them to lease the farm, but a little love and they are easily the best cows I have.

kenny thomas said:
I have wore long sleeves all day. Been in the 60's for several days

I've been working hay fields for the locals, sunburning through my long sleeves. I do have the skin of a princess though.

Latest posts