Thank God For Rain!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
It has been nearly six weeks since we got rain. The last few days we had an 80% chance. Got none. Finally we got 2/10's this afternoon. It is so dry, I dug a ten foot deep pond in a whale waller and never hit water.

I'm calling our rain pattern the donut scenario. The clouds will roll in and I can see rain clouds all around us but it keeps missing us. I must not be living right. :lol:

Is there any scientific reason why towns or cities seem to always get rain? Seems to me they get more than their fair share. If I could prove this I bet I can get an attorney that will sue the cities for me at no charge. :idea: You know one of dem scrimination lawsuits. Maybe get a big check or better yet make them provide me with a free irrigation setup and free water. :idea: Some of that chlorified water that will make the cows' coats shine and da grasses grow. :lol:

Ever notice how town poeple call every little rain a hard rain?
Anything that makes a sidewalk wet or they need to take out their umbrella is a hard rain. Even though a rain guage will show less then .10 inch. And all us cattle poeple are fully aware of what a 1/10 inch of rain does for a bone dry pasture. :(

mnmt

Jogeephus":178rvhq5 said:
It has been nearly six weeks since we got rain. The last few days we had an 80% chance. Got none. Finally we got 2/10's this afternoon. It is so dry, I dug a ten foot deep pond in a whale waller and never hit water.

I'm calling our rain pattern the donut scenario. The clouds will roll in and I can see rain clouds all around us but it keeps missing us. I must not be living right. :lol:

Is there any scientific reason why towns or cities seem to always get rain? Seems to me they get more than their fair share. If I could prove this I bet I can get an attorney that will sue the cities for me at no charge. :idea: You know one of dem scrimination lawsuits. Maybe get a big check or better yet make them provide me with a free irrigation setup and free water. :idea: Some of that chlorified water that will make the cows' coats shine and da grasses grow. :lol:

I hear ya. I posted this same issue in June. Seems to rain all around us. I was in town and it was raining good, and I mean good. We got to the city limit sign, I'm serious, and it stopped like someone turned off the water. I call it the "I've got a big invisible umbrella over my place" effect.

I think we got the makings of a class action lawsuit. We will all be irrigating with chlorine water :lol: :lol:

supposedly all the heat rising from the asphalt causes it to rain a lot in bigger cities.

Jogeephus":39z1kx0p said:

When the area is in an abnormal dry spell, and the potential for rain arises, it takes the right conditions for that dry area to get rain, the dry ground, air, plants etc all play a part and actually kind of pushing or dissapating the moisture away, same thing occurs in moisture rich areas, the potential for rain will increase if there is a lot of moisture in the ground, air, plants, etc. Both circumstances tend to perpetuate the problem.

we got 1.5 inches yesterday right before dark and boy did we evermore need it! they say we might get some more this weekend, Jo.

Praise His name for the rain! We were in the same boat a few weeks ago and sure am glad to be out of it now! We got 2.5 inches the past couple days on top of 6 inches a week or so ago, and 4-5 at Shiner on the sand. We're wallowing in mud now and I'd gladly send ya some if I could. Got work to do and sitting here in the mud totally rained out. Better too wet than too dry tho, especially in the cattle business! Wish all this would've gone to Shiner but no such luck-- those sandy hills dry out pretty quick and we'll need more in a couple weeks for sure.

Yep, it rains more in cities/towns than out in the sticks. All that concrete and asphalt soaking up heat makes it hotter, hot air rises and triggers rain. Sad thing is in a drought when it's hot and dry everywhere it's often a case of just a little hotter air in town rising that triggers the rain in town, while the countryside is a hair cooler and so doesn't 'break the threshold' and cause rain where it's needed. Another thing is that drought conditions continue on because oftentimes there's ALMOST enough moisture/instability in the atmosphere to cause rain, but because it's so dry no moisture is coming up from the ground to trigger rain. That's why a lot of times when it gets wet and rainy it continues on and on when you don't really need it, too, because the moisture evaporating from the ground goes up and triggers rain from the moist air above. When I was row cropping I learned that lesson VERY well. One year we were trying to pick cotton, we'd have to wait til about 10 am for the dew to dry off, then we could pick til noon and everyday just like clockwork at noon it would come a .5 to 1 inch rain. That would knock us out all afternoon waiting for the cotton to dry enough in the field to pick. You could sit on the picker at 11 am running through the field and feel the pockets of moisture evaporating and going up, and watch the rainclouds build. After 3-4 days of this the ground got so muddy we could barely run at all. This pattern continued for about 7-10 days, raining at noon every single day. Finally a high pressure cell held the rain off a few days and let the ground dry out enough so when the high passed, the cycle was broken.

Wouldn't count on city water for anything. Heck, here they're trying to take our water and pipe it to the cities. Probably end up taking it all, making it all shiny and chloriney, and then making us pay to get it back before it's over with. Good luck and God bless! OL JR :)

mnmtranching":1xio1foz said:
Ever notice how town poeple call every little rain a hard rain?
Anything that makes a sidewalk wet or they need to take out their umbrella is a hard rain. Even though a rain guage will show less then .10 inch. And all us cattle poeple are fully aware of what a 1/10 inch of rain does for a bone dry pasture. :(

mnmt

Yeah I REALLY hate that! Yall don't have any really big cities to speak of in WY or Montana but lemme tell ya I get so sick and tired of the local Houston weathermen and their spiel about 'showers ruining the weekend golf' crap that I could pull and Elvis and shoot the TV screen if I could afford a new one!
Back in the 96 drought, when it was so bad here in TX that 40,000 head died between Houston and Brownsville and guys were getting in fistfights over trucked in hay in DeWitt county we had this little twerp weatherguy in Houston that was so annoying I'd cut the set off as soon as I saw him. Everyday this tall, gangly blond white guy would be grinning like an idiot and smiling into the set talking about the hot dry weather and the 'muggies' continuing unabated, but at least the weather would be great for golf on the weekend, though (boo hoo) you'll have to run your water sprinkler on the lawn this evening. GGGGGRRRRRR!!!!!!

What's even worse though is when the city slickers deign to come out to the 'boonies' to do a 'human interest piece' on the poor farmers whose crops have incinerated and poor cows listlessly panting under a shade tree. You get a whole 30 second sound bite bit piece then it's back to 3.5 minutes of coverage on the upcoming oil company golf tournament and all the excitement and moneymaking opportunities with it. Sure shows where the priorities are don't it??

Oh well... take it easy! OL JR :)

I'm pretty sick about weather guys around here, too. Especially on the NBC affiliate. I don't know if it is him or the newscasters commenting afterward that annoy me more.

"So if ya like hot weather, you'll love the weekend forcast!"
"There are showers coming, but we aren't getting any! HA HA!"

I don't know what I want to hear them say, but if they weren't so darn flip about it... :mad:

Lammie":2k10ckfh said:
I'm pretty sick about weather guys around here, too. Especially on the NBC affiliate. I don't know if it is him or the newscasters commenting afterward that annoy me more.

"So if ya like hot weather, you'll love the weekend forcast!"
"There are showers coming, but we aren't getting any! HA HA!"

I don't know what I want to hear them say, but if they weren't so darn flip about it... :mad:

Ain't it the truth! I just see it as a demonstration of just how screwed up the mindset is in this country nowdays. People haven't been hungry in so long that they have no connection to reality anymore. There could be 100,000 head of cattle dead or dying and it's like,"so what, just Lord forbid that it rain and screw up the celebrity golf thing or whatever." It's really disgusting. Unfortunately I don't think anybody in this country will pull their head out of their butt until they have to go hungry. JMHO. OL JR :)

This is our weather forcast for today. REALLY I just checked.

30% chance of rain.

1/2 to 1 " expected in some areas.

Some areas none to a trace.

A chance of heavy storms and damaging wind and/or hail.

Don't rule out the possibility of a tornado or two with little or no advanced warning.

Stay tuned for weather developing in your area.

Well, I sure wish I had a job like that. Their right no matter what happens

mnmt

Latest posts