Texas Trip Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":m01ux2ny said:
wacocowboy":m01ux2ny said:
You could always go to Hippie Hollow down by Austin for a refreshing dip in Lake Travis.

We lived on the north shore of Lake Travis when the party barge capsized by Hippie Hollow; it was rented for the gay/lesbian Splash Day and they all ran over to one side of the barge to check out the nude sunbathers. Quintessential Austin.
http://hippiehollow.com/news/news_comme ... 10_0_2_0_C

lol I bet that was funny.

Spend the money and stay on the river walk. It's great, food is great and so are the bars. Alamo and Texas Rangers museum and some other things in walking distance.
Austin still has a great music scene I think. 6th street used to be the place to be. And yes you'll see some bad weird liberals.
DO NOT miss this place.
http://gruenehall.com/

Sounds like a lot of interesting things to see. All I really know of Texas I read in the Lonesome Dove series. I am eally excited to get into the culture and see what it is like. :cboy:

To update, we just got back from our trip and it was a blast. We flew into San Antonio on Wednesday, and flew back on Saturday. I completely agree with everyone about Austin. If we had more time and might could have explored more I am sure it would have been fine, but I wasn't impressed with it. I did get to see the Capitol building and it was VERY impressive. Tried to go to Franklin's, but the line was down the road at 8:45 and I couldn't justify spending that much time in line just to eat. We drove out to Canyon lake it was really nice. The highlight of the trip to me had to be Lockhart, and Luling. We ate first lunch at Blacks and I will never be the same. The first bite of beef rib and brisket was a moment I will never forget. Walked across the street to Smitty's Market and was talking to a very nice elderly couple and found out they happened to be the owners. They took us on a tour and carried us all through the pit and market area. There kindness and the time they took to show us everything made our trip really special. After our tour we had more brisket, sausage, and a little prime rib. We then continued to Luling and I happened upon Slade's Saddle shop. Again the owner was really friendly and explained his family history with the shop. After that we went into City Market and had lunch number 3. I forgot to mention that on our way back from Canyon Lake we stopped at Salt Lick. I found the sausage and turkey to be top notch but I was honestly not that impressed with the brisket there. Maybe just an off day, however it was a really neat environment. Overall I was extremely impressed with the part of the state that we saw, and can't wait to take my wife and family back to San Antonio. If I learned anything from the trip it was that if you didn't have a ranch hand bumper and a headache rack then you were driving a car. :)

Latest posts