Texas Proposition 1

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":t8x8y1r7 said:
Okay some of you answer the question on how much the sales taxes would need to be to cover all of the taxes that we pay now.
Cheap enough to live in the best country on the planet AND you wouldn't have to file a tax return. :nod: Bet your old a$$ would cut back on your spending. :lol:

Caustic Burno":rp60uldm said:
hurleyjd":rp60uldm said:
If every hidden tax was done away and all other taxes except a sales tax. How much would this tax have to be. Any ideas any one. Good possibility it would approach 100%. I just paid 22% on the gas when I paid 2.10 dollars last week for a tank. That is 38 cents state a federal.

Double that on Diesel for the feds that is a hidden income tax. Everything in this country gets moved on a gallon of diesel.
Actually trains are electric with a small diesel engine used to run a generator. Reason rail freight is so cheap.

bird dog":z5o72zus said:
What burns me up is that I can add an improvement like a hay barn and not pay taxes on the material and use it on an ag exempt piece of property but have to pay taxes on the full value of the barn as if it is a house. They value it based on square footage even though it has a dirt floor and sides that only come down 3'.

You pay from what they can see from a satellite view and its up to you to prove otherwise.
Bet they don't use the same value per square foot on it that they do a heated area of the residence either. They don't even use the same value on the porches and garages on the house.

TexasBred":uljh5qjw said:
bird dog":uljh5qjw said:
What burns me up is that I can add an improvement like a hay barn and not pay taxes on the material and use it on an ag exempt piece of property but have to pay taxes on the full value of the barn as if it is a house. They value it based on square footage even though it has a dirt floor and sides that only come down 3'.

You pay from what they can see from a satellite view and its up to you to prove otherwise.
Bet they don't use the same value per square foot on it that they do a heated area of the residence either. They don't even use the same value on the porches and garages on the house.

They do in this poor butt county.
That covered porch is valued just like the rest of the house.
People in this county are about to riot over the tax rates and hikes in the last couple years.
Old appraiser retired new one is after every dollar he can find.

Old Hat":3jpvshcd said:
Lucky":3jpvshcd said:
Can you explain how the consumption tax would work and how it would benifit us. Not trying to get smart with you but don't the land taxes help pay for the up keep of county roads and keeping the peace around here? I'm all for paying less taxes but the county I live in is broke as it is and has a terrible time keeping the roads up and keeping the county safe. I also spend the bulk of my money in a neighboring county as this one doesn't have much to offer. Now the school tax I definitely think they could do something different on. I also wonder if the amount of tax I pay would go up on the consumption tax. Honestly I'm more worried about them upping the land value and then doing away with the ag exemption on land, now that would hurt allot of folks.

Lucky, one of the huge problems with property tax is never owning your land. Even if the sales tax cost you just as much or more at least your property is yours, you are no longer a sharecropper or renter to the county and school. As far as business owners, they pay property taxes too. Only they add that to the costs of their products and we pay their taxes in the end.

I can see your point but we are just going to have to disagree. I've leased land and owned land. I definitely "own " the land I have the other I leased and could only do what I was allowed. It cost money to live in this country and it has to come from somewhere. It can be a land tax, state income tax, sales tax, blah blah blah. Bottom line money has to come from somewhere. I actually enjoy driving down the crappy county road we have rather than the mud roads in our pasture and the county laws help me way more than hurt. Land taxes could use some reform I agree but I'm not voting on something with no details just because someone says it might help me. Anyway I'm not going to post on this thread anymore (I'm still new here). Oh yea I'm pretty sure I was paying land taxes on the land I leased.

Lucky":14hcllqa said:
I've leased land and owned land. I definitely "own " the land I have
You can test that theory at the end of 2018 easily enough by not paying your rent (property tax).
Let us know how it works out.

greybeard":3jfwsosr said:
Lucky":3jfwsosr said:
You can test that theory at the end of 2018 easily enough by not paying your rent (property tax).

With loan shark interest rates applied to the unpaid balance.

hurleyjd":34qdajhu said:
Okay some of you answer the question on how much the sales taxes would need to be to cover all of the taxes that we pay now.

I have heard some finiancial experts say it would only take an additional 1% if the waste was taken out of counties and schools ( fat chance of that happening) and up to a 4% increase otherwise. Some of the people against eliminating property tax (like county and city officials and appraisal districts) guess that it would take more, naturally.
We are going to pay tax in one form or another to run the county and school.
I guess the main question may be are you content paying increasing rent to the county every year or do you want to own your property?
And as others here have already mentioned, if you think you own it...don't pay your property taxes...see who owns it then! It will go up for auction at a county foreclosure sale!
I will opt to own mine if given that opportunity and hope y'all will do the same.

greybeard":2wbyi16r said:
You can build a mansion for a dog tho, and unless YOU use it for humans, it doesn't get appraised.

Actually in Jasper County they tax everything with a roof on it. That's the appraisal districts policy.

Old Hat":3tb57vt9 said:
greybeard":3tb57vt9 said:
You can build a mansion for a dog tho, and unless YOU use it for humans, it doesn't get appraised.

Actually in Jasper County they tax everything with a roof on it. That's the appraisal districts policy.

Why do you think Tyler County is about to riot we got your appraiser you run off.

Caustic Burno":2k4xzyqa said:
TexasBred":2k4xzyqa said:
bird dog":2k4xzyqa said:

They do in this poor butt county.
That covered porch is valued just like the rest of the house.
People in this county are about to riot over the tax rates and hikes in the last couple years.
Old appraiser retired new one is after every dollar he can find.
Would love to see them try to defend that in court. An appraisal by definition must be "defensible". No way a porch or carport should have same value as heated area.

I am not a fan of the property tax. When someone is not able to work or is down on thier luck, government can raise taxes and take family property. My Dad pays $7000 a year in taxes for his house, he is in a nice neighborhood, the rest of the town sucks off that one subdivision for everything. He is paying for the schools and hasn't had kids in school for over 20 years, and never in that town. At my place for a mobile home they added $1500 a year in property tax for a mobile home, seriously? A mobile home that won't be worth squat in 10 years.

greybeard":ovrtofqb said:
Lucky":ovrtofqb said:
Penalty and interest only for years....nothing more. If there is a lienholder they might pay the taxes to secure their 1st lien if it ever gets to that point.

You get 2 years for ag and homestead + 6 months.
or
6 months +6 months for non homestead/ag property in this county.
The county wants they money TB.

greybeard":bgb193zu said:
You get 2 years for ag and homestead + 6 months.
or
6 months +6 months for non homestead/ag property in this county.
The county wants they money TB.
But they are not in the business of property management. Won't happen nearly that fast and as I said, if you have a lien on the property the lienholder will pay the taxes long before it gets to the point of filing for a judgement.

BK9954":38alrp0p said:
I am not a fan of the property tax. When someone is not able to work or is down on thier luck, government can raise taxes and take family property. My Dad pays $7000 a year in taxes for his house, he is in a nice neighborhood, the rest of the town sucks off that one subdivision for everything. He is paying for the schools and hasn't had kids in school for over 20 years, and never in that town. At my place for a mobile home they added $1500 a year in property tax for a mobile home, seriously? A mobile home that won't be worth squat in 10 years.

So how about all those folks that didn't have kids and paid for your education? Or my family that has one child and the neighbors down the way that can't find the birth control aisle? If my paying property taxes educates society, I'll gladly pay it. It's the taxes that go to pay for welfare folks buying candy and soda that chaps my rear end. You want to get upset about paying taxes, there's a good place to start.

Bestoutwest":2o8btqvt said:
BK9954":2o8btqvt said:

So how about all those folks that didn't have kids and paid for your education? Or my family that has one child and the neighbors down the way that can't find the birth control aisle? If my paying property taxes educates society, I'll gladly pay it. It's the taxes that go to pay for welfare folks buying candy and soda that chaps my rear end. You want to get upset about paying taxes, there's a good place to start.
Surely you see what kind of social thinking the public school system is putting out into our society and culture. I don't think any of our taxes should go towards it. I believe most schools should private and we should have free choice to send our money where we choose, or home school and not pay a dime. If I want to send my kids to a private, a vocational or religious school I shouldn't have to contribute to the indoctrination institutions that we call public school. I find myself many nights having to debunk the BS theory some lib teacher has put in my kids head. One teacher taught my daughter that farmers wrecked the earth and enviroment. Others preach political agendas that I have to debate wifh them when my kids start believing it as truth. But yes the other tax situation I agree with you. There is a time to get your tubes tied, a vasectomy or abstain from all sexual activity if you don't have the financial resources to take care of your kids. People who don't and put their burden on everybody else are very irresponsible IMO. The reason I say tubes tied and vasectomies is because I have 2 kids that are living proof that the implants and birth control patches don't work. So we made it final. But I voted today so I did a little.

Latest posts