Central Texas Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute, with all due respect, you do not want to run a shredder. That's a sure fire. Several actually. This is flag stone country. The sparks from the shredder ignite a lot of fires.
It was a general statement with keeping the flame height low by what ever means possible. It was not specific to any one area. People will have to apply common sense to their application.

The best way is actually the light a fire around the holding facility and put as much black between the cattle and the fire coming.

Every thing is tough in 40mph wind, though.

CB I see it as natural disaster. No different than tornadoes dropping trees on fence lines. Liability is hard to place in times of disaster. Brush trucks don't bother to cut locks on gates or even find gates They cut fence. It's hard to blame the victim in these scenarios. My opinion. I'm not a judge.
I agree. They will cut a fence in a heart beat with no regards for the livestock to get to a fire that is really not hurting any thing, here.

During Harvey there were cattle all over a good stretch of highway for a while.

What is bad is people in that area may be real gun shy about doing controlled burns now, and probably rightly so. The reality is if people would do some strategic burning they might protect against these big fires like this.

Down south, some of the ranches will actually burn back 500' or so along highways or around the entire perimeter to protect the interior of the ranch.

We have people pressuring the judge to put in a strict burn ban that will prevent any burning and implement fines. The fire chief brought it to his attention that out of around 20 fires recently, 2 were controlled burns that jumped but they were easily controlled and contained. The other 18 were from wrecks, tow chains, cigarettes, BBQ pits, etc with the majority of those came off the highway and more laws would not prevent that.

I was pretty outspoken that the county should not stop me from protecting my property with a controlled burn while allowing others to keep on shredding, bbqing, etc.

CB I see it as natural disaster. No different than tornadoes dropping trees on fence lines. Liability is hard to place in times of disaster. Brush trucks don't bother to cut locks on gates or even find gates They cut fence. It's hard to blame the victim in these scenarios. My opinion. I'm not a judge.
It's not natural disaster if you cut the fence!
Those cows get out on a state highway and a soccer mom gets killed, you won't have to worry about that property anymore.
Texas has some very convoluted fence laws.

Last edited:
I have seen cattle in both Oklahoma and Texas that would run into a corner and burn. You never know what you might do but I'm pretty sure I would have cut the fence had I been there.
There are some pictures floating around of cattle in a corner. Some with heads through the fence. All burned up. The part that caught me off guard was the ground wasn't black. It looked like a desert. There was no ground cover left so the sand just blew. Not much black to be seen in places. And people had ash falling 20 miles away.

What is bad is people in that area may be real gun shy about doing controlled burns now, and probably rightly so. The reality is if people would do some strategic burning they might protect against these big fires like this.

Down south, some of the ranches will actually burn back 500' or so along highways or around the entire perimeter to protect the interior of the ranch.

We have people pressuring the judge to put in a strict burn ban that will prevent any burning and implement fines. The fire chief brought it to his attention that out of around 20 fires recently, 2 were controlled burns that jumped but they were easily controlled and contained. The other 18 were from wrecks, tow chains, cigarettes, BBQ pits, etc with the majority of those came off the highway and more laws would not prevent that.

I was pretty outspoken that the county should not stop me from protecting my property with a controlled burn while allowing others to keep on shredding, bbqing, etc.
No one does controlled burns in that area. A Lot of the carbon area is just open coastal fields. That's why the fire moved so fast. I don't think you could ever talk those guys into burning grass that their cows could be eating. And besides we've seen now what happens without the grass cover. The sand blows, there were some pictures of sand filling in bar ditches and piling up against dead cows.

Brute, We've been under a burn ban for months. Every County around us. They are handing out $500 fines left and right. No outside welding or cutting. Mowing grass with a lawnmower has caused some fires. With humidity under 20% and high winds we are under red flags practically daily. Yesterday's meager rain was a blessing and our humidity is up.

Brute, We've been under a burn ban for months. Every County around us. They are handing out $500 fines left and right. No outside welding or cutting. Mowing grass with a lawnmower has caused some fires. With humidity under 20% and high winds we are under red flags practically daily. Yesterday's meager rain was a blessing and our humidity is up.
I want to say fires off the highway are like 75% or so for us.

We are not technically in the parameters of a burn ban here.

A lot of counties enact a burn ban at the first freeze but permit controlled burns.

We got 3/4" last night and things already look more green this morning. Hopefully that will put an end to that discussion. Our county can do some real stupid stuff.

We got 3/4" last night and things already look more green this morning.
It finally came a frog drencher, wind and thunder/lightening deal around 5-6:30 this morning. Sunny and almost clear now tho.

This guy has used all his luck up now but he drove right off.
Elgin Texas:

Dang greybeard, that just about supersedes any "Tough Truck" commercials I have ever seen.

Anyone around Greenville TX. A guy that works for me got there today. He is with a dozer, leading and backfiring behind it.
Just my great grandparents but they won't be no help. Buried there.
You sure it's Greenville? Hunt County. Greenville's about 75 NE of downtown Dallas. They got a lot of rain yesterday morning.

HurleyJD lives about 50 miles SE of Greenville.