Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

The Ash Borer killed pretty much 100% of the Ash in the whole region. Except the Blue Ash which it didn't seem to bother at all. I never knew there was a blue Ash until then.

The Ash Borer killed pretty much 100% of the Ash in the whole region. Except the Blue Ash which it didn't seem to bother at all. I never knew there was a blue Ash until then.
Same over here. Most of our Ash is gone.

Okay, question about the ash. Yeah, they got everything around here too. State VDOT workers are cutting them right and left out of the medians and on the backroads where they are near the roads so they don't fall and take out power lines and cause road blockages. Son has had crews working on them here.
Once the trees are dead, where do the borers go? Do they just fly to other trees until they find another ash? Can ash be re-replanted after the dead trees are removed after a certain amount of time? Nearly all the ash trees here must have been naturally spread since they are all through the woods and occur in clumps some places and as single trees other places. I have read some information on the beetle, and honestly have never seen any that I am aware of so wondered how they traveled. Other than man moving them through wood... much like the gypsy moth problem.
Funny ... but sad.... another "native to China and surrounding countries" ... Asian pest....

Maybe….

Looks like the sidewalks are wet….
I am no fire expert but I'd think if it doesn't rain a fair amount we will be in the same boat in a few days. I wonder how contained the B L fire is. We went over there and helped some people move horses. That fire in the cedar was very hot, flames were a lot bigger than the grass fires in the Eastland complex. On our way out we met 4 large dozers and 3 track loaders headed in. Forest service I guess.

I am no fire expert but I'd think if it doesn't rain a fair amount we will be in the same boat in a few days. I wonder how contained the B L fire is. We went over there and helped some people move horses. That fire in the cedar was very hot, flames were a lot bigger than the grass fires in the Eastland complex. On our way out we met 4 large dozers and 3 track loaders headed in. Forest service I guess.
It should give a chance to gain on containing them. Wetting things down will help with jumping breaks. The wind shift coming should push it back on blackened country. Of course with tornado watches and high winds being thrown around could get insult to injury kinda deal. Maybe it'll help.

It should give a chance to gain on containing them. Wetting things down will help with jumping breaks. The wind shift coming should push it back on blackened country. Of course with tornado watches and high winds being thrown around could get insult to injury kinda deal. Maybe it'll help.
I guess time will tell. Seems like so far every time the wind has changed it's made things worse. That carbon fire burned 15 miles that first evening then the wind shifted and we were looking at a 15 mile wide fire headed south.

CB my brush pile runneth over ! I pruned all those peach trees a few weeks back and reluctantly piled them on. Several folks around just like me. If it ever rains and the county officials lift the burn ban, we're going to light up this part of TX.

I'm simply just going to have to start making more piles. I hate to tie up more areas. There's just no choice. Current pile is huge.

Over 1000 acres burned 15 miles south of us yesterday. All the surrounding counties banded together, and most are volunteer: 10 departments, 30 trucks, an air tanker and they had it contained in 4.5 hours. And yet today, we've had torrential rain almost nonstop.

I'm very thankful for the rain!
We needed it very very badly. Not as bad as those folks with the big fires I guess. Has it helped any down south there??
20220321_175000.jpg
The cows seem miserable... 😆

Looking at the radar, it doesn't look like Eastland area got much if anything at all.
West of I 35 there was a little strip, it started about Hamilton to Killeen, would split as it came across 84 until it got back into the concrete of Waco. I doubt the fire area got much today

Storming here now.
done that on and off most of the afternoon but very little rain, no lightening or thunder and no more wind than we would usually see in mid March. Almost like bands we would have in a tropical storm but not near as much rain. I'd be surprised if we got over 1/4" all day long, but we didn't need any either.

Latest posts