Amazon fires.......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
More than one-and-a-half soccer fields being destroyed every minute each day of rain forest in the Amazon. The Amazon forest also produces about 20% of the world's oxygen and is often called "the planet's lungs."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/americas/amazon-fires-macron-g7-intl-hnk/index.html

It looks to be on fire everywhere.

190822173351-amazon-fire-satellite-exlarge-169.jpg

Eventually the entire planet will be cleared and burned to grow food for our Chinese and Israeli overlords.

They are clearing it to turn it into farmland. Isn't it fast food restaurants that buy cheap Brazilian beef? Eat what you grow and avoid fast food. You, and the planet, will live longer.

They say that but wasn't it once mentioned it also producers just as much co² due to rotting matetial. The most oxygen comes from the oceans. I often wonder why they don't spray the ocean with the right balance of nutrients to promote the phytoplankton and boost the oxygen.

Ever saw the move Idiocracy? The world reminds me of that more each day. I don't mean that in a bad way its just true. They know this and that is bad or wrong yet they still choose it cause it's cheaper. I get cheaper but cheaper isn't always better in the long run.
Any thoughts on hemp or hemp products?

shaz said:
sim.-ang.king said:
An acre of corn produces more oxygen, then an acre of mature woodlands.

Interesting, hows does pasture compare?

Pasture locks the CO2 away for longer (managed properly).. Yes, the corn might produce more O2 per acre, but considering the corn is being used pretty much right away, there's no real net effect in the long term

www.soil4climate.org is a good site

There is a good PBS documentary about CO2 & forest. In Russia when the permafrost tundra became forest the temperature went up. When the grazing was restored the temps went down. A forest has a decreasing amount of CO2 requirement as it matures. Grasslands Use more CO2 from the atmosphere.

The problem with the Amazon burning is that all of the stored CO2 is being released. This is the same problem we have with ice melting and releasing stored CO2.

JWBrahman said:
The problem with the Amazon burning is that all of the stored CO2 is being released. This is the same problem we have with ice melting and releasing stored CO2.

Yes and no, as most forest carbon is actually stored in the ground as tree roots.

The trees are bulldozed then burned. The roots of trees are being burned at the same time as the rest of the tree.

What we are seeing right now is the long game. We have the most valuable resources on earth: Farmland and Water. By we I mean North and South America. Asia and the Middle East have the majority of the Earth's population growth and the least amount of farmland and water. The global elites don't particularly like it that a bunch of disagreeable nobodies like us have these cattle, crops, water, and land. So they're buying up Brazil and treating it like a rental car.

callmefence said:
How would all you treehuggers like it when they tell you , shouldn't be clearing and improving your land.

That apples and oranges logic is what created Houston, a place that makes Baton Rouge look like paradise. You can drive the three hours of clustered gas stations and hear every dialect of Arabic. Or if Houston ain't your thing go to New New Delhi, what the locals call it, Fort Worth.

Y'all made a mess of Texas

JWBrahman said:
callmefence said:
How would all you treehuggers like it when they tell you , shouldn't be clearing and improving your land.

That apples and oranges logic is what created Houston, a place that makes Baton Rouge look like paradise. You can drive the three hours of clustered gas stations and hear every dialect of Arabic. Or if Houston ain't your thing go to New New Delhi, what the locals call it, Fort Worth.

Comparing Houston to the rest of Texas is that apples and oranges logic. The entire world is definitely beating a path to the great state of Texas. No doubt about. ....where we don't believe in telling people what they should do with their own property

JWBrahman said:
callmefence said:

And Louisiana is paradise???

it's hard for me to get my head around that a fire 3500 miles south of me, 6000 miles from europe, and over 10,000 miles from china is affecting 20% of the source of oxygen for all of these places. maybe i'm not understanding the phrase 20% of the worlds oxygen.

who came up with this 20% number and what data was used to arrive at this conclusion?

on the tv news this morning most of the area that was shown was not forest, looked like cleared land.

ccr said:
it's hard for me to get my head around that a fire 3500 miles south of me, 6000 miles from europe, and over 10,000 miles from china is affecting 20% of the source of oxygen for all of these places. maybe i'm not understanding the phrase 20% of the worlds oxygen.

who came up with this 20% number and what data was used to arrive at this conclusion?

on the tv news this morning most of the area that was shown was not forest, looked like cleared land.

The vastness of the Amazon is hard to fathom. It's over 2 million square miles. If it were a country, it would be the 9th largest in the world, and it is almost entirely covered in some of the densest forest on the planet. It is so dense and difficult to navigate that until very recently there were tribes living there who had never had contact with modern civilization. There may be more in there.

Given those numbers, not really hard to see how losing 25% of it could alter the atmosphere of the earth.

Buck Randall said:
ccr said:

The vastness of the Amazon is hard to fathom. It's over 2 million square miles. If it were a country, it would be the 9th largest in the world, and it is almost entirely covered in some of the densest forest on the planet. It is so dense and difficult to navigate that until very recently there were tribes living there who had never had contact with modern civilization. There may be more in there.

Given those numbers, not really hard to see how losing 25% of it could alter the atmosphere of the earth.

Take a close look at google earth and you will see how much of it is gone. Might as well take a look at all the rooftops, asphalt and concrete replacing green open areas everywhere else in the world while your at it...

:2cents: Climate change isn't just about fossil fuels.

Latest posts