Texas Proposition 1

Help Support CattleToday:

Old Hat

Reaction score
If you live in Texas make sure you go vote. Proposition 1 on the ballot is to replace property tax with a consumption tax. This is a non-binding vote but will be put on the Republican platform if it passes. It could begin the process that will allow us to own our property instead of being sharecroppers with the county and school.

Residents of border towns will likely shop out of state. I suspect Texas businesses are concerned and places like Shreveport have their fingers crossed.

Can you explain how the consumption tax would work and how it would benifit us. Not trying to get smart with you but don't the land taxes help pay for the up keep of county roads and keeping the peace around here? I'm all for paying less taxes but the county I live in is broke as it is and has a terrible time keeping the roads up and keeping the county safe. I also spend the bulk of my money in a neighboring county as this one doesn't have much to offer. Now the school tax I definitely think they could do something different on. I also wonder if the amount of tax I pay would go up on the consumption tax. Honestly I'm more worried about them upping the land value and then doing away with the ag exemption on land, now that would hurt allot of folks.

Lucky":d0y4nqpu said:
Can you explain how the consumption tax would work and how it would benifit us. Not trying to get smart with you but don't the land taxes help pay for the up keep of county roads and keeping the peace around here? I'm all for paying less taxes but the county I live in is broke as it is and has a terrible time keeping the roads up and keeping the county safe. I also spend the bulk of my money in a neighboring county as this one doesn't have much to offer. Now the school tax I definitely think they could do something different on. I also wonder if the amount of tax I pay would go up on the consumption tax. Honestly I'm more worried about them upping the land value and then doing away with the ag exemption on land, now that would hurt allot of folks.

Sounds like Trinity county.

Probably end up compromising with a combination of the two....that way the have two screws to turn.

Caustic Burno":3dj335xq said:
Lucky":3dj335xq said:

Sounds like Trinity county.

And Falls county.

When Texas fist instigated the sales tax it was 1/2 percent. That was the proposition Texans voted on. Then without any input from the citizens the Texas government kept raising it a little at a time. Then the Cities got to tack a little on. Then the State added a little more to the point it is about 8.5 percent depending on where you live. Then came the time for establishing the appraisal district. Citizens voted for it because it would take the elected job from the tax-assessor collector and make the appraisal district head and its board of directors not responsible supposedly to answering to no one at the voting booth. And the taxes and fees will go up and up forever. Vote the current ones back in and it will still keep going up. Look at all the cost of registering a vehicle there are fees on top of fees. What is the nobility fee. Also get a traffic ticket and the fees and fines will be nearly page long. Also there are many positions that have been added to the school expenses along the way in administration cost. This goes on and on right before our very eyes.

hurleyjd":hv16v2z7 said:
When Texas fist instigated the sales tax it was 1/2 percent. That was the proposition Texans voted on. Then without any input from the citizens the Texas government kept raising it a little at a time. Then the Cities got to tack a little on. Then the State added a little more to the point it is about 8.5 percent depending on where you live. Then came the time for establishing the appraisal district. Citizens voted for it because it would take the elected job from the tax-assessor collector and make the appraisal district head and its board of directors not responsible supposedly to answering to no one at the voting booth. And the taxes and fees will go up and up forever. Vote the current ones back in and it will still keep going up. Look at all the cost of registering a vehicle there are fees on top of fees. What is the nobility fee. Also get a traffic ticket and the fees and fines will be nearly page long. Also there are many positions that have been added to the school expenses along the way in administration cost. This goes on and on right before our very eyes.

The more services wanted and expected by the public the more revenue required.
The schools are out of hand the worst one here is in the city that has public housing. It's constantly trying to sneak something by the taxpayers.

I understand how the consumption tax would help some but I think it would hurt others. Most of the cattleman I know lease allot of land and live in a modest house so it would definitely hurt them. I guess it would just depend on how much they rasised the sales tax. I read last night some states wanted 20% or better. I promise you this would shut most businesses down or people would just buy online and let thier state go broke. Registration on cars and tailers has gotten too high but it sure beats driving on a dirt road. Schools are another subject they waste more money than I have ever seen and need to be riened in somsehow. I can't remember which proposition it was on the ballot but it stated voters would have to approve a city building a tax payer funded sports stadium, I definitely agree with this.

Brute 23":l105ncjw said:
I'm all for it. Cheaper or not taxes should not be linked to an asset like property. It's basically a penalty for owning property.

The main reason I am for it the illegals and those on the welfare dime would have to pay as well.

Caustic Burno":wtpykfbe said:
Brute 23":wtpykfbe said:
I'm all for it. Cheaper or not taxes should not be linked to an asset like property. It's basically a penalty for owning property.

The main reason I am for it the illegals and those on the welfare dime would have to pay as well.
Let's convert every road in Texas to a tollway since they are maintained by tax money. Make them self supporting. Use them you pay.

TexasBred":104wyfkv said:
Caustic Burno":104wyfkv said:
Brute 23":104wyfkv said:

Let's convert every road in Texas to a tollway since they are maintained by tax money. Make them self supporting. Use them you pay.

That is the point. All this fair share talk... That is the most fair way to do it.

Your right CB. You get these people that like 13 relatives in one cheap house and that's exactly what happens.

15 Mexicans living is a $30K house pay nothing while one old rancher with 1000ac gets taken to the cleaners. Or these old people who built their modest home in 1960 for $30K are trying to pay property taxes on a $500K home just because the neighborhood grew up around them.

Brute 23":216fnfeg said:
TexasBred":216fnfeg said:
Caustic Burno":216fnfeg said:

That is the point. All this fair share talk... That is the most fair way to do it.

Your right CB. You get these people that like 13 relatives in one cheap house and that's exactly what happens.

15 Mexicans living is a $30K house pay nothing while one old rancher with 1000ac gets taken to the cleaners. Or these old people who built their modest home in 1960 for $30K are trying to pay property taxes on a $500K home just because the neighborhood grew up around them.
Old rancher ain't hurtin'. 1000 acres at any point in time made you a wealthy man for that time period and continued the longer you own the property. Should be worth quite a few millions today compared to that $3-4 an acre he paid for it. Same for the 30k house.

Probably a lot less things thrown away. Fix it or repair shops might come back to life.

It will change the way we live, maybe a little. My granddaddy had every used spark plug he ever pulled out of the truck or tractor. Points too. He never threw it away. We live in a society now that has throw away plates, cups, and silverware. Drink bottles are all up and down the highway and you can't pick them up for a deposit return like we could coke bottles when we were kids.

;Anyway, I am thinking of the positives - maybe

TexasBred":zlr3n6l8 said:
Brute 23":zlr3n6l8 said:
TexasBred":zlr3n6l8 said:

Old rancher ain't hurtin'. 1000 acres at any point in time made you a wealthy man for that time period and continued the longer you own the property. Should be worth quite a few millions today compared to that $3-4 an acre he paid for it. Same for the 30k house.

You can't pay bills with "worth".

Lots of folks don't understand that. Unless one is borrowing against it, selling it, or finding some way to make it produce hard currency, it's just a 'worthless' piece of paper, good only for the appraiser's office.

greybeard":3ayiy7o5 said:
Lots of folks don't understand that. Unless one is borrowing against it, selling it, or finding some way to make it produce hard currency, it's just a 'worthless' piece of paper, good only for the appraiser's office.

Yup, that's the same reason you should not consider your home an investment unless you are willing to sell it.

Brute 23":1f66qrfk said:
greybeard":1f66qrfk said:

Yup, that's the same reason you should not consider your home an investment unless you are willing to sell it.

You add the cost of construction or house note, taxes along with insurance lots of liability a month.

Latest posts