Texans Alamo

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":2by1ap29 said:
Yes,"Remember the Alamo", its a shame that our crooks in goverment dont. The Alamo and San Jacinto are no longer p.c.,Its Cinco De Miyo, or how ever you spell that crap. Thats one of the reasons our borders are flooded with wetbacks. Not saying that these folks are not hard working, but they need to stay in Mexico, and make there country work.

Here in Texas they are a drain on our system as we have to educate and provide their health care....... You know there were some hispanic names on that wall in the Alamo. I have to think that they understood that Mexico was corrupt then and it has gotten no better as the years have past. I only hope that before I die that the Mexicans will have their on battle cry. A country with as much natural resources as that country has, should not be a 3rd world _hit hole

I agree in Mexico being corrupt past and present and they have so much potential if they could clean up the corruption in their country. But using a bigotry term such as Wetback is uncalled for.

houstoncutter":2orlmd23 said:
Yes,"Remember the Alamo", its a shame that our crooks in goverment dont. The Alamo and San Jacinto are no longer p.c.,Its Cinco De Miyo, or how ever you spell that crap. Thats one of the reasons our borders are flooded with wetbacks. Not saying that these folks are not hard working, but they need to stay in Mexico, and make there country work.

Here in Texas they are a drain on our system as we have to educate and provide their health care....... You know there were some hispanic names on that wall in the Alamo. I have to think that they understood that Mexico was corrupt then and it has gotten no better as the years have past. I only hope that before I die that the Mexicans will have their on battle cry. A country with as much natural resources as that country has, should not be a 3rd world _hit hole

Funny these are the same people that were good enough to die beside the anglo defenders of the Alamo, Goliad and the other battles .
This discussion son does not belong on a thread to honor the brave men that were dieing to give birth to a nation.
I am ashame you are a Texan this thread was tribute to brave men of principle that died defending hallowed ground.

God Bless Texas

Caustic we normally agree on most things, but on this one we will have to agree to disagree. Yes some defenders of the Alamo and San Jacinto were Hispanic. Which proves my point, they saw the corruption of the Mexican goverment as well as they felt the boot of the Mexican oppersors. Many of those Mexican officials were European. Those Hispanic folks could have easily cut and run. Some did, some didnt.

So while you are taking me to the woodshed, remember this. It wasnt Anglos at the Alamo it was Texicans. Not Mexicans or Anglos, but Texicans and some good folks from Louisiana and Tennesee.

I never meant to disrespect your thread. I just wanted to point out that many of those heros are turning over in there graves, when they see corruption of Mexico spreading to Texas and other border states. If any one is to blame it is us, we have allowed it to happen, while we have chased the almighty dollar

Boy learn your history they were Mexican citizens that imigrated from the States and other countries and swore allegance to Mexico they revolted no different than the USA and Britian.
3 January 1823 -- Stephen F. Austin received a grant from the Mexican government and began colonization in the region of the Brazos River.

Mid-1824 -- The Constitution of 1824 gave Mexico a republican form of government. It failed, however, to define the rights of the states within the republic, including Texas.

6 April 1830--Relations between the Texans and Mexico reached a new low when Mexico forbid further emigration into Texas by settlers from the United States.

26 June 1832--The Battle of Velasco resulted in the first casualties in Texas' relations with Mexico. After several days of fighting, the Mexicans under Domingo de Ugartechea were forced to surrender for lack of ammunition.

1832-1833 -- The Convention of 1832 and the Convention of 1833 in Texas were triggered by growing dissatisfaction among the settlements with the policies of the government in Mexico City.

Revolution and the Republic
2 October 1835 -- Texans repulsed a detachment of Mexican cavalry at the Battle of Gonzales. The revolution began.

9 October 1835 -- The Goliad Campaign of 1835 ended when George Collingsworth, Ben Milam, and forty-nine other Texans stormed the presidio at Goliad and a small detachment of Mexican defenders.

28 October 1835 -- Jim Bowie, James Fannin and 90 Texans defeated 450 Mexicans at the Battle of Concepcion, near San Antonio.

3 November 1835 -- The Consultation met to consider options for more autonomous rule for Texas. A document known as the Organic Law outlined the organization and functions of a new Provisional Government.

8 November 1835 -- The Grass Fight near San Antonio was won by the Texans under Jim Bowie and Ed Burleson. Instead of silver, however, the Texans gained a worthless bounty of grass.

11 December 1835 -- Mexicans under Gen. Cos surrendered San Antonio to the Texans following the Siege of Bexar. Ben Milam was killed during the extended siege.

2 March 1836 -- The Texas Declaration of Independence was signed by members of the Convention of 1836. An ad interim government was formed for the newly created Republic of Texas.

6 March 1836 -- Texans under Col. William B. Travis were overwhelmed by the Mexican army after a two-week siege at the Battle of the Alamo in San Antonio. The Runaway Scrape began.

10 March 1836 -- Sam Houston abandoned Gonzales in a general retreat eastward to avoid the invading Mexican army.

27 March 1836 -- James Fannin and nearly 400 Texans were executed by the Mexicans at the Goliad Massacre, under order of Santa Anna.

21 April 1836 -- Texans under Sam Houston routed the Mexican forces of Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto. Thus, independence was won in one of the most decisive battles in history.

I have been to the Alamo many, many times - and watched the IMAX production of this battle.

Impressive piece of history. Sitting in the middle of a city.

When you who have never been - go - and you should - be sure to eat a meal on the river tour.

Bez!

bullred":2wrmgq78 said:
I better watch what I say, seeings how I'm fixin to be moving to Houma!!

Hey Bullred, Houma has a nickname that you should know before moving over.

Caustic, good facts!

Funny, but I seem to remember my text books calling em Texicans after they revolted, but I have not seemed to have made as good a study of it as you have. I still stand behind my statement that those folks would be ashamed of the way the current state of affairs is with Mexico and the mexicans that flood our borders

houstoncutter":ojv2n9g1 said:
Funny, but I seem to remember my text books calling em Texicans after they revolted, but I have not seemed to have made as good a study of it as you have. I still stand behind my statement that those folks would be ashamed of the way the current state of affairs is with Mexico and the mexicans that flood our borders

I am all for stronger borders today, but I am not sure that those that fought would roll over in their graves because of the immigration. Seems to me and I may be wrong because I am by no means a Texas or Alamo expert. But did not partly what they fought for was freedom for any and all to be part of new state of Texas? I don't think that those that died at the Alamo cared who lived in Texas they just did not want Mexico controlling or telling them what they could and could not do.

They did not want Mexicans out of Texas they just wanted the freedom to rule themselves as a free state much like the Revolutionary War did with England.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this?

There is much, much more to this story. You can't summarize it.

There was religion as a major contributing factor for some. Most Acadians were of Catholic heritage (Austin brought many) and the Acadians (many of my ancestors) were not so much opposed to being Catholic. Some of my other ancestors were and that alone was their number one issue.

There were other issues.

After these men paid the price for freedom, they were paid in land. Many of them took land in what is now New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and even Montana. Then when Texas joined the U.S. they were out on their ear in a territory. They didn't deserve that. Imagine that. Imagine your father died at the Alamo and you decided to build a ranch in tribute in the great nation he helped create. You did it on the land he was paid with. Then you were tossed out of that nation. That was the source of some hard feelings initially that seem to continue to this day.

There were some volunteers who fought who were not citizens of Texas. But lest not forget that many were born here and all were considered Spanish on the initial land grants and then Mexican on the subsequent land grants. Those who survived were considered Texan. Then some lost that too if the land they took was outside what is now the Texas border.

Many who fought were not hispanic, but most all were Mexican at the time, even if they were Anglo. I had MEXICAN ancestors who fought for the Republic of Texas, and they were not from Mexico. Some were however born right here and were therefore Mexican. Call them Sabine river wetbacks if you must but they swore allegiance and accepted Catholic as their religion.

There are also hispanics here that have always been here. There is no cause to insult these proud people who fought right along side my ancestors. I am thankful for all of them.

Good info Boogie as many of our new generation are ignorant of our history as I am a little closer to it than most on the board. I am 5th generation Texan as one of my Great Great Grandfather's immigrated to Mexico/Texas from Ms. The other came to fight when during the revolution for the promise of land from Al. My great grandmother was born in 1860 and died in 1963 man as a kid did we get big eyeded listening to tales of Indian raids and Mexican Bandits.

aplusmnt":3pqrfk8h said:
houstoncutter":3pqrfk8h said:

I am all for stronger borders today, but I am not sure that those that fought would roll over in their graves because of the immigration. Seems to me and I may be wrong because I am by no means a Texas or Alamo expert. But did not partly what they fought for was freedom for any and all to be part of new state of Texas? I don't think that those that died at the Alamo cared who lived in Texas they just did not want Mexico controlling or telling them what they could and could not do.

They did not want Mexicans out of Texas they just wanted the freedom to rule themselves as a free state much like the Revolutionary War did with England.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this?

You hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps I should put this on a new thread, but I think our forefathers would want secure borders. Folks from Mexico that wish to come here legally, learn our language, pay taxes, and become Texans first and Americans next. Welcome.....the kind that slink across in the dead of night, be thankful I aint running the show, cause I think they should be shot. Whew we, let the games begin

houstoncutter":2qeejv6e said:
Perhaps I should put this on a new thread, but I think our forefathers would want secure borders. Folks from Mexico that wish to come here legally, learn our language, pay taxes, and become Texans first and Americans next. Welcome.....the kind that slink across in the dead of night, be thankful I aint running the show, cause I think they should be shot. Whew we, let the games begin

Yeah, you should put it on a different thread, so as not to associate or tarnish the image of the Tejanos that fought and died for Texas independence with people you would "shoot" for crossing a border without proper documentation in order to feed their families! And speaking as someone whose heard that same witless answer to the illegal immigration problem countless times, I'd say don't be in any big hurry to start that other thread.

Houstoncutter, somehow I have forgotten my history on the exact date but I believe it was 1932 that we closed immigration. It was some time in that proximity. Definately within the lifespan of my father. Our "forefathers" welcomed immigrants up to that point.

Immigration is a still a viable option, but many choose not to use it. Especially, the folks from down south. They do not choose to be one of us, but seperate, and we and our politicians allow it. How many amnesty programs have we had for illegals in the past. I remember 3, there may be more. Those programs that said, ok your here but we aint going to do anything about it..... Anyone that comes here from now on will recieve the full brunt of our justice system...............What a joke.... Do any of you know what one of the best selling books in the far east and Russia was a few years back??/?? It was a book about how to come to America, and work the system for money........Your money folks

Something needs to be done. Absolutely. Saw America's Most Wanted show some time back with a theme of the assailants committing violent crimes and then heading back home, then here again. It was difficult to catch up with them and their country wouldn't turn them over when they were home.

At the same time I see folks like New Englanders who move in here and assume all Hispanics are illegals and label them as such and don't think they deserve dignity. I resent that worse than I resent the illegals. You are in Texas and can likely relate to what I am saying here. Others who don't live here read this forum and likely don't have your perspective.

Back to the Alamo. There were Hispanics fighting right along side our ancestors, who were fighting against the oppression of their native country. This should not be forgotten or overlooked. Its tragic IMHO that some assume all were the enemy.

Latest posts