Testing fence

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never tried to test a electric fence with a VOM before. But i took electronics for a couple years at a trade school and have used a VOM quite a bit. I am not sure how high the voltage output would be on the fence. I am thinking a electric fence would have a step up transformer of some type along with high storage capacitors so that when something touches the fence it would discharge arround 1 amp of current.

But then again i am sure they would take into consideration safety and not have enough voltage on it to accidently elecute someone ? Alot less than an amp is enough to elecute someone.

If it were me i would set the volt meter on the highest setting , i would think on DC, then hook your ground lead to a metal fence post for ground and touch the red lead to the hot wire. And then you can slect a different scale on your volt meter to get a better reading.

I think they make fence testers to do just what you are tring to do though ? That would probably be the best bet.

just use a screw driver or hammer with good insulation so you don't get zapped. Toush the metal to a metal pole in the ground and see if it snaps shoul be a steady pop every 3 seconds or so. a re-rod post with a skrew on insulator works also. hold onto the insulator adn touch it to the ground and wire might work but what works best is if you have t-post and you touch the step in part to t-pole and top of rerod pole to wire. If you don't have steel fence posts just touch it and find out. :lol: :lol:

heck i used to just grabb aholt of the hotwire.an if it sent sparks out my elbows.that joker was working right.

You'll blow a typical VOM everytime testing a fence with it. There are severla different types of fencetyesters on the market that range form a few bucks (basicly useless except to tell you that there is power) to the most ecpensive ones at just over 100 bucks that will give you voltage reasons as well as point to any grounds on the powered wire. Suck it up and get the good one.

You will blow a volt-ohm meter every time. The voltage is too high for them.
Simple way is to get a blade of grass (green) and lay on it and move in closer to wire in spring you can not get closer than 1 to 3/4 inch, the summer and fall before rain you will get in as close 1/4 inch or closer. This may not be by the book, but this is the way I test.

I test like iowafarmer said. Drive a steel rod in the ground and short it to the hot wire with a rubber handled screwdriver. You'll hear a loud pop fom the spark if it's hot. Doesn't make a whit of diff what the voltage is.

Angus/Brangus":2pykm6rd said:
Red Bull Breeder":2pykm6rd said:
Drink one quart of coffee walk out to electric fence unzip in amatter of seconds you will have you answer.

:lol2: :clap: Great answer.

Now, if your not into pain, TSC sells an inexpensive tester where you stick a wired point into the ground and then touch the meter end to the hot wire. It has several lights that will indicate what voltage you are getting.

This is what I use, it tells the amount of volts the fence is actually putting out, works real good.

GMN

If you don't want to do the "coffee" test, go buy a good meter. TSC has one for $25.00.

You'll blow the volt meter every time!

got a cousin that would whizz on the fence to see if it worked.an he would get a good jolt.

If you get cattle to do the whiz test you could keep them where you want them with a hay string. People tell me that its a shocking experince.

It's much more fun to grab a fence if you have rubber soles and the person whose shoulder you're touching doesn't. :nod:

Some people think I am nuts, which I am, but I check all mine via touching them!
I know if it is or is not working just by how much it snaps!!

hrbelgians":37h0ghjp said:
Some people think I am nuts, which I am, but I check all mine via touching them!
I know if it is or is not working just by how much it snaps!!

Put me in the "some people" category. Having my hand wacked by a 2x4 isn;t my idea of testing, but I'm not into pain either.

Thanks all. We have a small pasture with one of those Gallahger s200 solars and have noticed it not shocking as hard as usual ( i'm the guy who touches it too). Its hitting at 2 and needs to be at 8.5. I know i'm arcing somewhere, but have to keep looking. I know you casn buy the special testers, but I ain't forking over $90. Just was wondering since I have/had a few volt meters already. Again thanks all.

Horticattleman":8nqvacry said:
Thanks all. We have a small pasture with one of those Gallahger s200 solars and have noticed it not shocking as hard as usual ( i'm the guy who touches it too). Its hitting at 2 and needs to be at 8.5. I know i'm arcing somewhere, but have to keep looking. I know you casn buy the special testers, but I ain't forking over $90. Just was wondering since I have/had a few volt meters already. Again thanks all.

Probably metal touching metal somewhere, thats a power drecreaser for sure. If it was a full break, it would be zero.

GMN

Just a suggestion. But if you can get close to the fence with an AM radio it may pickup the static "click" where the short is. I know I have had it report the short before for me. Won't indicate output or such just if there is a short.

Hortman-My $100 tester is the best tool in my kit. If you depend on electric fence, like me, it is a huge help. With experience, I have learned to link each voltage reading with a condition, eg old (non electric) fence wire resting on the hot wire. That, and a lot of switches keep the home fires burning.
The 5 light testers were short-lived, at least in my hands. If you can swallow the $ difference, you will be well pleased with the higher end testers.

Latest posts