Testicles Growing, Bull Not

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
I may be kind of paranoid, but figured I might as well ask the pros. The last couple days it seems like the testicles have been growing a lot, mostly hanging more and more. My bull does not seem to be growing fast at all. He is just under 20 months old. Does this mean he is just hitting a big growth spurt? Or is he just a late bloomer and just starting to mature? May simply mean hes getting older and more mature, but I got curious since Ive never raised a bull before.

I have never watched them develop on a daily basis but he is about the right age for the beginning of semen production. He should keep growing, could be teething which will slow him down for a while, not sure at what age they teeth, seems like it is around two.

cherokeeruby":37wubxp6 said:
I have never watched them develop on a daily basis but he is about the right age for the beginning of semen production. He should keep growing, could be teething which will slow him down for a while, not sure at what age they teeth, seems like it is around two.
He has been a slow grower all his life. Is there any reason to expect him to start growing a lot faster now.

Has the weather really warmed up alot in the last few days? When the temperature gets warmer/hotter the testicles will "hang" lower to help regulate their internal temperature. Cooler/colder weather they are "drawn" up to keep warm. This could be why they seem to have "grown".

Katherine

la4angus - The reason I asked that is because I have been told that brahmans typically hit a growth spurt about 18 months old. I am new to brahmans and new to breeding stock, so there is a lot I dont know yet.

2centsworth - I dont see how he could have gotten injured, he hasnt been with any other cattle in about a week.

Workinonit - The weather has been warm for over a month now, and they have never hung this low. Hasnt been much of a temperature difference in the last month either. Occasional cool night and some wind, but other than that its been 70-80.

Latest posts