Terminal c section with good results.

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Last week I had an old granny cow go down with a rear leg injury. She was 10 days away from calving. After several different vet visits and Banamine and aspirin twice a day for 5 days, I finally decided enough was enough. She was going downhill pretty fast. The night before last the vet came up and gave her a shot of Dex and the plan was to take the calf 24 hours later.

The vet I used has only been in practice for 2 years and she said she had only done 2 c sections, both ending with a dead calf. Not a reassuring record. Anyhow, we started the surgery. Either the vet was missing the vein or the Rompun was not having much effect on the cow. She ended up injecting close to 2cc, and we got under way. In under less than 10 minutes we had a beautiful TC Total 410 heifer calf. She was a bit slow out of the gate, possibly the results of the Rompun on her dam?

Within an hour she was standing and took a quart of colostrum replacer. She was a very aggressive feeder! I went back out at 2 am and gave her another quart of colostrum and she was a ball of fire. :D Same thing with this mornings feeding. She's a very aggressive and alert calf.

We made the best of a bad situation and did what was right for the granny cow. It's always rewarding to have a good outcome when the odds are stacked against you.

Thanks TCR and Nesi. Putting granny down wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it was the right thing to do. This Total daughter is only the second heifer the old cow had. Kind of makes it extra nice...

I was lucky, my granny had 11 daughters, and 3 of them are excellent cows in my herd.. Hope this little girl does well for you

Happy for you that the C-section was a success, and a heifer to boot! Sorry to hear that you lost the cow. Clearly you made the right decision.

Good luck with that calf, she sounds like she's going to be okay.

Thank you all.

At 20 hours old. She just got done with her bottle and this is the only pic I could get when she wasn't running around and kickin' up her heels. :D She's one spunky little girl!

Latest posts