tatoo

Help Support CattleToday:

buhbuh":1gh054xe said:
What is the proper tatoo process?

The way we do it is, after running in the chute, put a halter on them, apply ink to the tatoo numbers, tatoo the left ear (as the right is already occupied by the bangs tatoo), then work a little more ink into the tatoo using a soft bristled toothbrush. Hope this helps.

if you're registering a certain breed, you may want to check with that association for any special letter/number requirements.

we do it a little different than msscamp because we tattoo at birth. we tattoo the top web of each ear. later, the vet will put the bangs tattoo in the middle web of the right ear so our tattoo isn't in the way. to do the actual tattoo process is pretty much like she said. as Scotty mentioned, make sure the ears are clean. if i'm tattooing older cattle, i always use a paper towel to wipe the ear. baby calves' ears are usually clean but make sure they're dry. rub ink on the ear where you will apply the tattoo, punch the ear with the tattoo gun & then re-apply the ink. as i mentioned in an earlier thread, we prefer the paste to the roller-ball ink but it's messier.

dumb question here. Hubby is a tattoo artist. So he has everything on hand clean new etc. Can you use that type of gun? What about the type of ink you would use in humans? I never done it before just had to ask lol
kimmie

Sure if you have the time. The type of equipment used is for speed and precise reading of the tatoo. Theyare usually a design of needles making dot marks in the shape of the tatoo.

Scotty

Also most breeds porbly won't recognize a special design. Numbers and letters only.

Scotty

Scotty":hx0u27mx said:
Sure if you have the time. The type of equipment used is for speed and precise reading of the tatoo. Theyare usually a design of needles making dot marks in the shape of the tatoo.

Scotty

Short of tranquilizing them, how would you keep them still for that length of time? If you tranquilize them, wouldn't that make it a little difficult to get them out of the chute? Probably dumb questions, but I'm curious.

No tranquilizers, get em in and git r done. all you have to do is clamp down and puncher the skin with the tatoo crimps for split second. as for as bushing or rolling in extra ink, it's not that bad they'll act stupid, it's managable. Some times if one is being a real @sshole I'll use a halter to tie there head. Just pull there nose around to the side so they can't thrash too much.

semen demon":1slz63nc said:
No tranquilizers, get em in and git r done. all you have to do is clamp down and puncher the skin with the tatoo crimps for split second. as for as bushing or rolling in extra ink, it's not that bad they'll act stupid, it's managable. Some times if one is being a real be nice I'll use a halter to tie there head. Just pull there nose around to the side so they can't thrash too much.

Thanks, semen demon, but I meant restraining long enough to try to tatoo them with the tool that is used to do human tatoo's.

In all due respect, I wouldn't even attempt to tattoo numbers & letters on an animal's ear using human tattoo equipment. For one thing, lot's of hair in way on animal's ear. Second thing, you are looking at minutes using human equipment. The special tattoo kits for animals are very inexpensive and once the animal is in a chute, headgate, or other restraint, the actual animal tattoo equipment probably takes less than 15 seconds to do...and, all the animal numbers & letters are pre-fixed so you'll always get a clear, legible impression. ;-)

Bill, that's kind of what I was thinking too. I'm not even thinking about trying it! :eek: I just wondered, out of simple curiosity, how one would go about doing it - especially with the length of time it would take and cattle not being a particularly patient species in most cases.

Latest posts