Tatoo #'s

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Well I finally have my first two heifers to tatoo, after 3 years of bull calves on my small operation.

While I have tatooed before, it was always someones elses cattle, so they had their own letters and numbers set up.

Does it matter what letters and numbers I use? I know from reading other post that the bigger outfits use a system to show herd, year and calf born order. But with my small operation it is easy to keep all my records on the computer, could I use somthing as simple and HR1, HR2, HR3 and so on for my tatoo system on regristred cows?

Also is the bangs tatoo different from the ID tatoo for regristration purpose or can you use the bangs tatoo for this purpose also?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":ckstpor6 said:
Well I finally have my first two heifers to tatoo, after 3 years of bull calves on my small operation.

While I have tatooed before, it was always someones elses cattle, so they had their own letters and numbers set up.

Does it matter what letters and numbers I use? I know from reading other post that the bigger outfits use a system to show herd, year and calf born order. But with my small operation it is easy to keep all my records on the computer, could I use somthing as simple and HR1, HR2, HR3 and so on for my tatoo system on regristred cows?

Also is the bangs tatoo different from the ID tatoo for regristration purpose or can you use the bangs tatoo for this purpose also?

Thanks,
Alan

Your breed association probably has guidelines, contact them before you start tattooing

dun

Alan":1b0f0ioo said:

Thanks,
Alan

Bangs tattoo isn't an individual type of tattoo - I have several animals here wearing the same tattoo. Texan once explained to me how the bangs tattoo reads...

Texan":1b0f0ioo said:
The last digit of the tattoo should represent the last digit of the year in which she was vaccinated. In other words, when you are looking at the tattoo, the number on the far right, just to the right of the VS shield, should be the last number of the year in which she was vaccinated. Some states might still use a number in front of the shield. In those cases, that number represented the quarter of the year in which she was vaccinated. The tattoo should be very simple with only three digits---

1. A single digit representing either the quarter of the year or possibly just an "R" representing the RB 51 strain of vaccine.

2. The USDA VS shield. This is the controlled digit that only accredited vets or state/federal animal health officials should possess.

3. A single digit representing the year of vaccination.

So I have two cows with a "1" as the last digit, and three heifers with a "5" as the last digit. Also have a few heifers that will be marked as "6"'s whenever I get around to taking them over to the vet clinic. So I doubt you could use the bangs tattoo for registration purposes as it isn't an individual type tattoo - there'd be a million other heifers out there with the same tattoo. LOL.

But, along those lines and off topic a bit - as long the bangs tattoo is legible, it's a good way to guesstimate a cow's age. ;-)

Once you know the requirements of your breed association use what works best for you.
Our association requires the herd prefix followed by a number and then the year letter code. An example would be "AAAA 123 R". AAAA is the herd prefix, 123 is the calf's number and R is for calves born in 2005.
Good luck with your heifers!

Alan":23d8jdyy said:

Thanks,
Alan

The Bangs tag can't be used for identification. If they're Angus, it doesn't matter. A series of numbers/letters tattooed in both ears, no more than five digits, is satisfactory. I think most people use the year as the first digit, either the number or letter. We use the year plus the dam's ear tag number. For example, the tattoo for the calf of #12 will be tattooed 612 this year. Special characters aren't acceptable.

When our Vet vaccinates our calves for Brucellosis he also does the Tattoo. Tattoo in one ear, "Bangs" metal tag in the other ear.

We don't have to worry about or figure out what tattoo number, etc. to use. The Vet takes care of all this...quick & simple.

still herefords, right Alan?

if so, there's no set numbering system that they require for tattoos. when you register the calves, there is a space to document what is tattooed in each ear. we tattoo the same number (their herd i.d.) in each ear. some folks put their herd prefix in one ear & the i.d. in the other. we use the top web of each ear because the bangs tattoo will go in the middle web of the right ear.

Latest posts