Donkey ?'s

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_jenna

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but here it goes. We would like to get a donkey for our beef cow herd. Now I'm more of a cattle girl, and know really nothing about horses/donkeys, thus my name cowgirl_Jenna. What breed or size goes best with cattle? I know a mini aint gonna work, but...? Also, is a jack, gelding or jenny? better or worse. I was told once too that if you have more than one, they wont have anything to do with the cow herd, just stay by them selves?

So, any info would be appreciated. My daughters are of the age they are begging us for horses, so maybe a donkey will put that off a lil while :) . I did always want a horse as a kid too, but every time I asked my parents for a pony, they would give me a dairy calf LOL.

Any reason why you needs a donkey for your cattle herd? I would stay away from jacks, bred jenny or a jenny with a foal and focus on unbred jenny and geldings. Standard or mammoth donkeys makes good guard donkeys. That said it's all depends on their personalities. I had a donkey running with the cattle herd, turns out that he isn't very friendly toward to the calves despite of being gelding. We got another donkey that was a jack but he was too busy braying at neighboring horses across from a road. He ended up sired the mule foals from these neighboring horses.

With children, why not get a great pyrennes dog and put in your pasture. Personally, I couldn't live with myself if a donkey caught a child or kicked one for that matter.

cowgirl_jenna":esit8nl0 said:
Yes, coyotes are a big problem. Wolves are moving in to, but thats another issue.
Guard animals are not your answers for protecting the livestock from the wolves. There isn't a single guard animal that can stand up a wolf pack.

Running a donkey with cattle works for some folks I guess, but I've had bad experiences with a donkey running with my cattle, so I wouldn't recommend it personally. If you really want one I would get a standard or mammoth jenny or gelding from someone that you know that has had it running with their cattle, goats, etc.

wouldnt waste my money on a donkey. a horse only if its a real good one. have you ever tried to fill something up that has a bigger exit hole than an entrance

If you really need one a Jenny would be best most of the time. I don't know how they would be with coyotes but I've seen one that would put a good cow dog under the fence. Truthfully, we have plenty of coyotes but they don't seem to give us any problems in this area. It may be the Brahman influence in most the cattle here though.

cowgirl_jenna

This is absolutely amazing. It seems everyone agrees on this topic, and I am not the exception for a change.
If children are involved do not get either. They are all to dangerous and territorial.

The only time I ever seen a jack or donkey work as a protector from predators is when they were raised from a foal with cattle. And even then they didn't really get along all that good.
I don't think they were protecting the cattle, but instead their territory ( pasture ) from intruders.
And that makes them dangerous for anyone who enter their pasture, including children.

Even these guys don't like strangers in their pasture.
SL
100_0724.jpg

cid__0423111847.jpg

But this little guy would love any one to death if you let him and he got along fine with the cows and calves I think because he was raised with calves.
100_0720.jpg

Well thanks for the advice, a pony it is then for the kiddos- I knew the day was coming lol. That pony there is a cutie though, dont care who ya are. To be truthful, when we had a dog the coyotes never came near as close to the buildings as they do now. Just seemed like even if the dog barked at them, they kept a distance. We have a few neighbors with large sheep herds, and the coyotes have been tough on them from time to time, and they have donkeys and Pyrenees dogs. I havnt seen a wolf personally, but not to far from here people have. Wi just got done with its first wolf hunt this winter. Some animal rights groups were trying to stop this unfortunately, hope they dont but these groups have money to throw at things like this. Weve been lucky with the cattle so far, but eventually that might run out. The way I see it, as long as the calf doesn't get on the wrong side of the fence, the mother will prob. be ok protecting it for the most part.
Jenna

cowgirl_jenna":2pk50sms said:
Well thanks for the advice, a pony it is then for the kiddos- I knew the day was coming lol. That pony there is a cutie though, dont care who ya are. To be truthful, when we had a dog the coyotes never came near as close to the buildings as they do now. Just seemed like even if the dog barked at them, they kept a distance. We have a few neighbors with large sheep herds, and the coyotes have been tough on them from time to time, and they have donkeys and Pyrenees dogs. I havnt seen a wolf personally, but not to far from here people have. Wi just got done with its first wolf hunt this winter. Some animal rights groups were trying to stop this unfortunately, hope they dont but these groups have money to throw at things like this. Weve been lucky with the cattle so far, but eventually that might run out. The way I see it, as long as the calf doesn't get on the wrong side of the fence, the mother will prob. be ok protecting it for the most part.
Jenna
The wolf advocates are just plain crazy! They tried to stop Minnesota wolf hunting too and in Montana....funny thing is that none of the wolf advocates owned any livestock and only live in the cities.

I have used donkeys for guarding I would not think of using a jack the ones I had would mess with the calves. but they are cheap seen them giving them away free the other night at a horse auction ,several of them.
I have some lamas in both of my pastures like them much better pluse they don't eat much and will eat junk like weeds seam to like rag weeds