Surprise donkey %(&#@!

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa

Reaction score
10 mama cows, 10 calves, a bull, and 3 donkeys on my place. Driving home today from a job, go by the small pasture by the old farmhouse and see the 3 donkeys there....and a 4th. Wait, I don't have 4 donkeys. Neighbors aren't missing any donkeys. Fences are all good, gates are locked except for the little gate going in by the old abandoned farmhouse where there is another gate into the barnyard. So, either someone led him in that way, or someone with a key has left me a present, an ungelded jack Jerusalem donkey to mix with my 3 jennies. There was a record horse sale in the county two weeks ago, with prices going as low as $1 due to the drouth. The owner must have gelded himself by mistake instead of the donkey, since he didn't have the cajones to do right by this animal. Sheriff is getting a call in the morning. :mad:

Yeah, I was wondering if donkey tastes anything like venison. The rain over the weekend meant I won't have to sell my cows for now, but I sure don't need another mouth to feed, especially one that is going to create a whole herd of donkeys.

angus9259":32l5wpmh said:
Red Bull Breeder":32l5wpmh said:
Salt and pepper to taste Steve.

If they really allowed that, they'd get more than $1 at the sale barn.
It's allowed but you have to do it on the sly or the neighbors complain

I have found when eating horse,donkey or mule you have to be careful with the salt because these animals sweat and the meat tends to be on the salty side anyway, take a case of beer, soak the meat in 6 cans of beer for 4 hours and drink the rest , sure makes it taste better :drink:

Grandpa":2j3bijpu said:
Yeah, I was wondering if donkey tastes anything like venison. The rain over the weekend meant I won't have to sell my cows for now, but I sure don't need another mouth to feed, especially one that is going to create a whole herd of donkeys.
Donate it to the local mexican food roach kitchen. It should mix well with carne de gato. :cowboy:

TexasBred":205ffqis said:
Grandpa":205ffqis said:
Donate it to the local mexican food roach kitchen. It should mix well with carne de gato. :cowboy:

Not as far fetched as you might think. Several years ago a burrito stand in Leadville Colo had to shut down after they found the heads and hides of hundreds of cats in the sagebrush behind the owners home. No wonder he always told me my pork butts were to high priced.

We used to use the zebra we culled for salami, no reason to not use donkey for the same purpose, if you have a feral hog problem, they can supply the pork percentage (when you have a good market, there are plenty of feral horses to keep you stocked)

andybob":1s5cjh33 said:
We used to use the zebra we culled for salami, no reason to not use donkey for the same purpose, if you have a feral hog problem, they can supply the pork percentage (when you have a good market, there are plenty of feral horses to keep you stocked)

I tried to get my guide to cook up some zebra but he pretended he did not hear me...

Stocker Steve":3gqbhysl said:
andybob":3gqbhysl said:

I tried to get my guide to cook up some zebra but he pretended he did not hear me...

Need a better guide next time, I can send a salami recipe though!

andybob":2ar6zrxf said:

Man that would give a whole new meaning to "a piece of ass". No thanks !!!

andybob":c5faaiuu said:

I asked my Grandpa once for his recipe for Sopressatta. He laughed and told me one old sow and one old Donkey. e was serious though. That's how they made it in Southern Italy when he was a kid in 1890.

3waycross":10jnvftk said:
andybob":10jnvftk said:

I asked my Grandpa once for his recipe for Sopressatta. He laughed and told me one old sow and one old Donkey. e was serious though. That's how they made it in Southern Italy when he was a kid in 1890.
Bet you didn't hang around for very many meals at Grandpa's house. :lol2:

TexasBred":3rm59o0u said:
3waycross":3rm59o0u said:
andybob":3rm59o0u said:

Bet you didn't hang around for very many meals at Grandpa's house. :lol2:

Quite the opposite. It was my favorite place to eat.

Latest posts