tapeworms in calves

Help Support CattleToday:

searoach

Reaction score
Hello from florida,
My Question,Would you recommend using Safe-Guard with 10% fenbendazole as a dewormer to remove tapeworms?
I looked online and this is what I think I will use if I recieve good feedback on it.
The paste which you inject orally is what I am thinking.
I cant see buying a drench for two calves but if I need to I will.
I am adding handling equiptment as I can afford it.
Thanks Chet

We used Panacur, just got it in a syringe (w/no needle) from the vet. Had to does them again 2 weeks later to really be effictive

Hey Dun,
Thanks for the reply,I called tsc and both panacur and safe-gaurd are in the oral tube.
I'm going there tomarrow and picking up some.They both have 10% fenbendazole.
I feel good because both calves are looking better,Their eyes arent gummy anymore and they are actually starting to act like they are enjoying life.If that dont sound dumb..
Thanks Chet

I went to tsc picked up safe-gaurd paste and gave both sick calves 250lbs worth of the paste.
Gave the rest which was 500lbs worth to our 7 month old bull.
I will do again in two weeks as per duns post.
I think I'm on the right track.
Thanks for all the advice.
Thanks Chet

Just curious, why did you think your calves had tapeworm?
I know with dogs and cats you can see the segments passed in their poop, but am not familiar with large animals and tapeworm, other than the worms can encyst in their muscle tissue and infect animals / people who eat raw /rare meat..
Nite Hawk

The short of it is there was a one foot long tapeworm hanging out of the calves rear.
I pulled it and it broke I placed it on board and you could see it moving.
The calve pooped and you could see the rest so I picked that out and saw that move also.
The calve had a big potbelly when I got her and her limbs and neck looked skinny.
Her eyes were gummy also.
The two calves I was told were kept with a pen full of goats.
Iguess thats where they got them.
Chet from florida

Guess that is the best indicator one would need!
Small animals -dogs,cats etc, can pick them up from either fleas or eating mice, or infected raw meat. Guess larger animals must pick them up from grazing messed up pasture or something.
I would consider giving them an all around wormer besides just a tapeworm wormer, might have something else in therev besides tapeworms. I would think one might have to do a second dose later to get the eggs that hatch too.
Hope the heifer recovers..
Nite Hawk

Thanks to the reply,You would see the history on these calves on my other post called sick calf.I have two lil heifers I bought about 7 weeks ago and I felt more sorry for them then excited about the purchase.One is black and one is red,They both had gummy eyes.The red one looked the best but was light and potbelled.The black one was drooling clear spit alot and was very skinny.The man told me they were ran alot to load them and to give the black one a la-200 shot.The black one finally let me touch her and thats when I was able to feel that her navel was inflamed.They were sold as 3 month olds so the navels were healed.I thought she had navel ill and the post on the internet said that four days of la-200 was the way to go.This was a week after I purchased them that I started the la-200 and I also poured ivermect on them,Four two days later when I was giving the third shots Is when I saw the worm hanging out of the red one with the potbelly.All this time I was worried about the black one with little regaurd to the red one.So in a nut shell They have had la-200 shots 4 days in a row,Pour on wormer and safe-gaurd oral.I use tapeworm meds on my dogs and retreat 21 days latter but dun posted two week retreat.I can say as of today they dont have gummy eyes the navel has went down by 65% and the potbelly is also shrinking.I feed the two calfs in the morning before work 1/2 gal 12% allstock feed with two cups calf-manna 25% and do the same in the evening.I also keep loose mineral for all the cattle to eat.
Thanks to all that have read my post and offered help it really means alot to me.
Thanks Chet

Latest posts