Taking Cattle To the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

The vet I have used for over forty years had a foremost squeeze chute that he pulled behind his vet truck...he wore one out every few years...sold it to a client and got a new one...

Jeanne - Simme Valley":11gxv3zj said:
HaHa. When I moved here from KS, people asked "how can you possibly find enough land to feed your cows." When people think NY - they think NYC. In Upstate NY, residents would just as soon have NYC a different state. NY's #1 industry is AGRICULTURE. Amazing isn't it!!!
Upstate NY is really nice and as country as anywhere in the south. The people aren't as friendly as in the south, but they just do their own thing and don't bother anyone.

We have at least 5-6 vet practices within a 50 mile radius. Most all are mixed large and small animal and then there are several that are just small. Problem is, you have to like the vet; and then when you find one that you really like, they retire, or sell out to a younger one....
Now, I am female, but I have a hard time with some of the female vets because the ones that do the large animals just don't have the muscle to do some of the jobs. And sometimes my son can't be there to help, so then where are you? We have a good chute and alley at the one barn where we have the vet come to most of the time. Our favorite vet retired and is now in his 70's, our next favorite sold his part of the partnership while in his 50's due to some injuries over the years.... We switched to another vet practice, but they are at the 50 mile outer edges so it's more expensive. $125. just to come out. Most will charge by the hour and $100 is common. But they do work pretty fast. Have several dairies in the general area that have gone to this vet practice and so if we can get things scheduled on a day he is going to be in the area we do get a break on the mileage/travel costs.
This vet will also do DA surgeries right in a clean pasture setting. Our favorite retired vet says he is as good as he is, so that's a plus. We can also haul animals to them. Try to have a bunch of stuff to do when they come. I will call the practice to see when they are scheduled to come in our direction, so we can get things co-ordinated. Granted that doesn't work for emergencies....
Vets used to always have a chute they could pull to the small farms that didn't have a good set up but not so much anymore.

I have been fortunate to have great vets for as long as I have had cattle. The one I have now, first started out under "the owner vet" back in ?1985?, but now he owns the business. They have maybe 7 large animal vets, and a couple small animal vets. When you have an emergency, you get whoever is on call. And, when I have routine "stuff" like health papers, sometimes my vet is too busy & I tell them to just set up one of the new ones. So, I have met most of them. All great personalities and very competent.

Latest posts